Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: Native Plants Database for Gardeners  (Read 2291 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Native Plants Database for Gardeners
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:19:10 pm »
Audubon just unveiled its free interactive database for gardeners; you enter your ZIP code, and it gives you a rundown of the native plants that are helpful to birds and other wildlife in your area.

Audubon.org/native-plants
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:31:07 am by RandallS »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Niuve

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Asatru (loosely), shrubbery (hedgecraft), <insert_religion_here
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Re: Native Plants Database for Gardeners
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:43:50 pm »
Quote from: Altair;204218
Audubon just unveiled its free interactive database for gardeners; you enter your ZIP code, and it gives you a rundown of the native plants that are helpful to birds and other wildlife in your area.

That is awesome as hell. Thanks for posting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 06:26:24 pm »
Quote from: Altair;204218

Too bad it's US only :( this is an awesome idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:51:31 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;204353
Too bad it's US only :( this is an awesome idea.

I did appreciate that it was immediately clear that it was US-only, by explicating 'US Zip Code'. So many sites, you can't tell if they're using 'zip code' as a catchall that also includes Canadian postal codes, UK post codes, etc without trying. (And then there are the sites that say their database or whatever includes Canada, but their system only accepts zip codes.... :mad:)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 12:42:32 pm »

Nice!   I'm glad to see a couple of them are things I already have.  Now I just need to find a way to get rid of the Virginia Creeper ( heh. Stuff is such a damn nightmare.  I know it's native in some parts of  the country, but not here, and it has become a personal nemesis) so I can plant some of the others.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:08:52 pm »
Nice!   I'm glad to see a couple of them are things I already have.  Now I just need to find a way to get rid of the Virginia Creeper ( heh. Stuff is such a damn nightmare.  I know it's native in some parts of  the country, but not here, and it has become a personal nemesis) so I can plant some of the others.

I'm the opposite; I deliberately planted Virginia creeper, because it's native and great for wildlife, makes my garden look lush, is so low maintenance, and turns that beautiful scarlet in the fall. I freely admit, however, that it actively tries to take over the world.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 05:40:42 pm »
I'm the opposite; I deliberately planted Virginia creeper, because it's native and great for wildlife, makes my garden look lush, is so low maintenance, and turns that beautiful scarlet in the fall. I freely admit, however, that it actively tries to take over the world.

I did think it was pretty until my dog got repeatedly sick from eating it as a puppy, which I suspect may have caused him to permanently have IBS as an adult, so that makes me have a particularly jaundiced view of it...    But I also would like to grow things I can eat or otherwise use, and also I would like to avoid fines for not keeping the walkway clear, and Virginia Creeper is currently obstructive of both of those things.  It would probably render my front door completely unusable if I wasn't ripping it out by the binful on a daily basis.

It certainly is a way to quickly cover up any unattractive visual elements in your landscaping, though, as long as you can figure out how to keep it from also running amok over anything you did want to keep.

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:28:42 am »
I did think it was pretty until my dog got repeatedly sick from eating it as a puppy, which I suspect may have caused him to permanently have IBS as an adult, so that makes me have a particularly jaundiced view of it...    But I also would like to grow things I can eat or otherwise use, and also I would like to avoid fines for not keeping the walkway clear, and Virginia Creeper is currently obstructive of both of those things.  It would probably render my front door completely unusable if I wasn't ripping it out by the binful on a daily basis.

It certainly is a way to quickly cover up any unattractive visual elements in your landscaping, though, as long as you can figure out how to keep it from also running amok over anything you did want to keep.

We have a patch of it well in the back of the yard.  There was an old tobacco building that has fallen down.  As the barn isn't technically ours (even though it is on our property), we really saw no need to do anything with it.  It wasn't hurting anything, and has provided shelter to several critters.  It's been pretty much covered by the Virginia creeper.

We have several vines of both trumpet honeysuckle and trumpet creeper.  Both are marvelously colored, and have brought a slew of birds to the house.  Not to mention the butterflies!  It's usually a cornucopia of color in the yard. 

Great little tool to have handy.  I've been thinking about planting some holly bushes around the house.
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:27:19 pm »

Hey, not sure where else to ask this and thought of you...do you happen to know any resources for learning about Asian bird species?  I just recently bought a cool old Japanese print at a thrift store which is a scene of many different kinds of birds, which look fairly realistic and I just thought it would be interesting if they could be identified.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 11:02:10 pm »
Hey, not sure where else to ask this and thought of you...do you happen to know any resources for learning about Asian bird species?  I just recently bought a cool old Japanese print at a thrift store which is a scene of many different kinds of birds, which look fairly realistic and I just thought it would be interesting if they could be identified.

I can't think of any easy way to ID them, unfortunately. Also, I don't know the custom in Japanese art, but in Western art the birds added to a scene are often completely invented, or only loosely based on actual birds, or an amalgam of more than one bird. So identifying the species on the print could be impossible, if they don't represent actual species.

Tags: