Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Experiences with Genius Loci?  (Read 3520 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Experiences with Genius Loci?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 06:03:44 pm »
Quote from: Something;204479
if you do some research you will find that any who have spent any real time with him in their lives always suggest strong protection against negative influences and in some cases even working with a second deity in case things get out of hand...

Damn, every single one of the Lokeans I know is holding out on me, huh?

More seriously: I have actually never encountered a person who does extensive interaction with Loki who recommends that, so "always" is perhaps a bit overstated.  A fair few, however, have suggested that he often comes along with Odin, given the whole "drink when my brother drinks" deal.

Also, most people aren't monolatrists to start with, so the "a second god" is awfully weird.  The most common route into the pagan movement starts people off with a minimum of two, after all, and while plenty of people bounce off that, more seem to bounce in the direction of 'more gods' than 'fewer'.  So if one takes the minority with one god, and pares that down still further to the ones whose one god is Loki?  That's not exactly a deep pool.

Since the majority of theistic pagans either deal with (portions of) pantheons or at least multiple deities from a very early point, anyone suggesting adding "a second god" is going to look like they have no earthly idea what they're talking about.  (The actual more plausible reading on it would be "a second male deity" and that's still something that looks really weird to say, and assumes a lot besides.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 10:39:25 pm »
That doesn't suprise me if you have only had friendly dealings with him, but if you do some research you will find that any who have spent any real time with him in their lives always suggest strong protection against negative influences and in some cases even working with a second deity in case things get out of hand... If you have these things in place then there shouldn't be any issues..
But it certainly suprises me that someone would have to ask why Loki should be worked with cautiously as even his most devoted followers use caution....Iam glad that you have enjoyed your interactions with him thus far..
Happy dancing

You know would be helpful? If you actually sourced the ridiculous things you say re: Loki.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 10:47:22 pm »
That doesn't suprise me if you have only had friendly dealings with him, but if you do some research you will find that any who have spent any real time with him in their lives always suggest strong protection against negative influences and in some cases even working with a second deity in case things get out of hand...

As opposed to fake time, yes.

...why do you assume I haven't spent any "real time" with Loki? Or that I haven't done my research?

But it certainly suprises me that someone would have to ask why Loki should be worked with cautiously as even his most devoted followers use caution....Iam glad that you have enjoyed your interactions with him thus far..
Happy dancing

Caution when working with *any* deity is important--I just don't get why he warrants any more initial caution than Anyone Else. Honestly, he's not the Babadook.

Is this because he's a trickster deity, and you are of the opinion that trickster deities are dangerous? (yeah, they do often bring chaos and/or life-altering change with them, but that's neither a good nor a bad thing) Or is this some kind of special Loki Danger(tm)?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 11:16:19 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;204497
Or is this some kind of special Loki Danger(tm)?

Danger is his middle name!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 11:22:15 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;204481
Damn, every single one of the Lokeans I know is holding out on me, huh?

You know it!

I mean, I have been known to give a warning or two about working with Loki, but they're generally more of the "go in with your eyes open" variety and less of the "could it beeeeeeee... SATAN?!" variety.

"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Something

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2017, 09:50:47 am »
Quote from: Jack;204499
You know it!

I mean, I have been known to give a warning or two about working with Loki, but they're generally more of the "go in with your eyes open" variety and less of the "could it beeeeeeee... SATAN?!" variety.

Don't think I called him Satan and I am pretty sure that the legends state in every outcome that loki would be the 1 who would lead to the end of the world and be the leader of the forces of evil against the gods?  OR was that all lies then?  

No point in claiming deities are something they are not, I have clearly stated that he is more than capable of helping people but that he is more known for causing trouble, I have never heard someone claiming that loki is no worse than anyone else and hasn't hurt anyone ever..

I was asked to name my sources of someone who also warns to use caution in working with him so you should read feeding the flame by galinda krasskova as she is just 1 off the top of my head, but if you want unbiased reviews on him don't ask lokeans ask someone who has worked with many different deities. Bit like asking a supporter of a football team if they are best..

I stopped working with loki after witnessing what he was capable of and if it wasn't for his daughter it could have been even worse, by the way even though loki loves his children his own daughter is ashamed of him at times, that was more than enough to stop me wanting any more dealings with him...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:38:47 pm by SunflowerP »

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2017, 10:58:26 am »
Quote from: Something;204507
Don't think I called him Satan

Sorry, that was a Saturday Night Live reference:

and I am pretty sure that the legends state in every outcome that loki would be the 1 who would lead to the end of the world and be the leader of the forces of evil against the gods?  OR was that all lies then?

Assuming one believes that Ragnarok is (a) a literal thing and (b) not a late (possibly Christian-derived) addition, which not everyone does.

but if you want unbiased reviews on him don't ask lokeans ask someone who has worked with many different deities. Bit like asking a supporter of a football team if they are best.. I stopped working with loki after witnessing what he was capable of and if it wasn't for his daughter it could have been even worse, by the way even though loki loves his children his own daughter is ashamed of him at times, that was more than enough to stop me wanting any more dealings with him...

Well okay then.

Nightwind

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2017, 08:03:28 pm »
Quote from: Jack;204510

Well okay then.

Don't ask people who work for/with him, ask people who've... had real super real real experiences (TM)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2017, 08:39:49 pm »

A Reminder:
Hi, Something,

We don't mind long posts here, but to avoid having a hard-to-read  wall-o'-text, hitting "enter" twice every few lines adds some white  space and makes it easier to follow - I've edited yours to add those  breaks, but it's a really good habit to get into yourself.

They don't have to be the "proper" place for paragraph breaks (we're  interested in readability more than technicalities), or a complete  change of thought - some thoughts take a lot of lines and need to be  broken up into sub-thoughts - as long as they're there.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary,  but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to  contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2017, 10:03:45 pm »

No point in claiming deities are something they are not, I have clearly stated that he is more than capable of helping people but that he is more known for causing trouble, I have never heard someone claiming that loki is no worse than anyone else and hasn't hurt anyone ever..

...? I don't recall anyone claiming that he "hasn't hurt anyone ever."

Additionally, I feel as though your statements about Loki being well-known for causing trouble--and, in an unquoted bit, how you mentioned his bringing on the apocalypse and whatnot--tend to assume that the lore in infallible, when to my knowledge no lore truly is as such.

but if you want unbiased reviews on him don't ask lokeans ask someone who has worked with many different deities. Bit like asking a supporter of a football team if they are best..

Okayyyy. So are you saying that Lokeans are limited to a single deity and therefore have no basis for comparison?

Nothing is ever truly free of bias. Instead, I find it's best to learn what the biases of one particular source are, and then try to gather more evidence for a fuller picture of reality.

Also--have we considered a deity's sense of what's ethical and what's not might be even a little different from ours? Just a bit? Maybe?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2017, 10:10:14 pm »

I stopped working with loki after witnessing what he was capable of and if it wasn't for his daughter it could have been even worse, by the way even though loki loves his children his own daughter is ashamed of him at times, that was more than enough to stop me wanting any more dealings with him...

I just realized my previous posts could be interpreted as invalidating your experience. That's not my intention, and I apologize if it comes off that way. Again, it's prudent to be cautious when working with any entity. :) Why are you so adamant about special caution when it comes to Loki? If you're comfortable discussing it, I'd be interested to know what happened.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2017, 10:57:56 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;204571
If you're comfortable discussing it, I'd be interested to know what happened.

I would gently suggest that that conversation, if it happens, would best be put in its own thread.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 01:07:07 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;204573
I would gently suggest that that conversation, if it happens, would best be put in its own thread.

That...makes a lot of sense. :whis:

Something, if you'd like to reply further, start a thread and we can talk there! ^^

Something

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2017, 12:50:06 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;204577
That...makes a lot of sense. :whis:

Something, if you'd like to reply further, start a thread and we can talk there! ^^

I took no offence have no worry about that, we were both simply having a conversation about how we viewed a particular deity, I am sure that many people will have different relationships with deities than others would it was just my paticular experience with him was 90% negative impact and 10% positive.

I will say that even to this day I can't completely forget the couple of happy days I had which was mainly partying and jokes and that's all well and good but loki took things to far for me and his daughters liking, all I was warning of was if you decide to work with him make sure you willing to say that's too far for me loki but up to then it was fun, this is where the protection Could be needed, as he seems to see what most of us would call moral guidelines as weakness which is no fun to him...

I am glad to hear that most of your time with him has been harmless enough though and I hope it continues that way, I will have a think about pm you about some of the experiences with him, as they were pretty distressing and very personal along with the fact that I very rarely trust anyone I hope you understand if I decide not to, not saying your not trustworthy, that bit is completely my failing as a person.. Either way it was an interesting conversation and long may it continue...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:49:24 pm by SunflowerP »

Tags: