Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Hobbies: Crafters  (Read 7262 times)

NightSpook

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Crafters
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:47:56 pm »
Stumbled into this section of the forums and got me wondering if any of you have a specific craft(s) they love to do.

I really enjoy crochet and cross stitching. It gives me a sense if pride when I accomplish a project that I put thought into and much energy. My recent complete crochet project was a Goddess doll to sit upon my altar :) Thought it would be great to share pictures, patterns and the like.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:01:19 pm by RandallS »

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Crafters
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:35:41 am »
Quote from: NightSpook;204144
Stumbled into this section of the forums and got me wondering if any of you have a specific craft(s) they love to do.

I really enjoy crochet and cross stitching. It gives me a sense if pride when I accomplish a project that I put thought into and much energy. My recent complete crochet project was a Goddess doll to sit upon my altar :) Thought it would be great to share pictures, patterns and the like.

I dabble in a lot of different crafts- five years spent working in a craft store will do that to you. ;) I've occasionally done woodburning and made jewelry, as well as remaking candles from my wax scraps, but I'm most skilled in crochet.

Here's the project I finished last night- a poncho for my daughter. It was one of several stashbusting projects I'd done over the past year.

It hasn't been blocked so it still looks a little wobbly, but to be honest with the way she took to it I might not even get the chance to block it. I left the edge unfringed so that as she grows I can add more of the granny square border and the poncho can grow with her.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:45:00 am »
Quote from: Noctua;204241
I dabble in a lot of different crafts- five years spent working in a craft store will do that to you. ;) I've occasionally done woodburning and made jewelry, as well as remaking candles from my wax scraps, but I'm most skilled in crochet.

Here's the project I finished last night- a poncho for my daughter. It was one of several stashbusting projects I'd done over the past year.

It hasn't been blocked so it still looks a little wobbly, but to be honest with the way she took to it I might not even get the chance to block it. I left the edge unfringed so that as she grows I can add more of the granny square border and the poncho can grow with her.

Wow, that's quite lovely!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:10:23 pm »

I love how colorful it is!
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Abigail

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 12:29:17 pm »

I love that! It also reminded me that making a poncho for myself is on my long to-do list, too many hobbies/not enough hours in a day though.

My latest projects are two wire trees, mainly to collect all my crystals in a better way, they are both not completely finished yet and the rest of my crystals will be wirewrapped as soon I run into them (if they want me to that is).

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 11:33:17 am »
Quote from: Abigail;204473

I adore this one!  I love that it has all the different gems hanging off the branches!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 10:55:08 pm »

This is really fucking cool and I'm so envious of this! I am wondering... do you do commissions?

As for me - I dabble in a lot of different crafts time to time. Was in a knitting kick over the past decade (GOD - has it really been that long?!) with a focus on scarves, mitts, and hats. I want to branch out into socks, sweaters, and other similar stuff - but there's not as much I could do for men.

Other crafts: technology (as in building computers); wood working; candle making; soap/lotion/cosmetics making; and a few others that I'm sure I've done. Let's just say I'm very much a crafty person who puts their mind to task of learning hands on stuff. :-)
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 08:32:46 am »
This is really fucking cool and I'm so envious of this! I am wondering... do you do commissions?

As for me - I dabble in a lot of different crafts time to time. Was in a knitting kick over the past decade (GOD - has it really been that long?!) with a focus on scarves, mitts, and hats. I want to branch out into socks, sweaters, and other similar stuff - but there's not as much I could do for men.

Other crafts: technology (as in building computers); wood working; candle making; soap/lotion/cosmetics making; and a few others that I'm sure I've done. Let's just say I'm very much a crafty person who puts their mind to task of learning hands on stuff. :-)
Yeah I'd love a tree like that! I'm broke unfortunately. :(

But I do (when Depression Brain isn't kicking my ass, that is) mostly beaded jewelry and (right now) colored pencil/marker art journaling. Sadly around 90% of my extensive art supply collection is at my mom's house back home in CT and I don't have the room where I live right now.

I'm hoping that when we move I'll be able to have at least a bigger closet for storage (or even my own craft room, heehee), then I can figure out some kind of organization for it all. And there is a lot. O.o

ETA: forgot to mention that the rest of my art supplies back home are miscellaneous mixed media stuff. Countless paints, collage pictures, fabric, even dabbled in book making once.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:34:36 am by missgraceless »
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:27:48 pm »

I embroider and make bobbin lace.

I also do mixed media artwork and sculpture and I'm currently building a 17CE style cunningwoman's cottage from scratch.

I've just finished making a significant working tool which has taken me almost a year to assemble and I'm looking forward to "activating" it at the correct time. The base is textiles and the rest of the components range from shells to sterling silver.

I make my own herbal potions and flying ointments and I've just finished a necklace of snail shells for ritual use. I don't do a lot of jewellery making though.

Crystalline

• View Profile
  • Religion: Omniist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 11:09:55 am »

I'm a crafter by profession, and do a lot of different things. Leather is one of my favorite things to do! Here's a couple of grimoires I have made!

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 09:43:44 am »
I'm a crafter by profession, and do a lot of different things. Leather is one of my favorite things to do! Here's a couple of grimoires I have made!

Those are gorgeous creations! I have one leather bound notebook but nothing carved into it. I gave my husband one with Phantom of the Opera on it and he doesn't use it because it's too purdy lol
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Crystalline

• View Profile
  • Religion: Omniist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 05:08:54 pm »
Those are gorgeous creations! I have one leather bound notebook but nothing carved into it. I gave my husband one with Phantom of the Opera on it and he doesn't use it because it's too purdy lol

Thank you for the kind words!

I totally understand having a possession that is so beautiful that it makes me hesitant to use it. Its like nothing you want to put into it could possibly be good enough Lol

Do you have any crafts to share Green? Have you done any other woodwork previous to the chest you are preparing to make?

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 07:06:51 pm »

Wow those are absolutely gorgeous!  You do fantastic work!
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 05:20:24 pm »
Wow those are absolutely gorgeous!  You do fantastic work!
LOOK GUYS. I MADE A THING.

I'm quite proud of it, haha. Even though it's not quite done (I still need a clasp of some sort.)  I made it for my Halloween costume (I'm being a witch. Ironic because I'm not one IRL), and I love that I got to incorporate the pentacle I got from Salem a few years back. And it's better than sitting in my dusty old jewelry box.

After Halloween is over I'm gonna get one of those bust necklace displays and keep it on there to remind myself I am in fact pagan show off to the world.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 10:26:22 pm »
Thank you for the kind words!

I totally understand having a possession that is so beautiful that it makes me hesitant to use it. Its like nothing you want to put into it could possibly be good enough Lol

Do you have any crafts to share Green? Have you done any other woodwork previous to the chest you are preparing to make?

Sorry I didn't see your quote earlier! Don't know how that slipped by...

As for woodwork, sadly, that's something I did enthusiastically in high school and then it's slipped out of my life. Only recently have I looked back into doing it now that I have access to tools (I live in NYC - it's so hard to find a space of my own to do woodcraft)!

I do have pictures of my knitted creations - Here's my Icelandic wool full/queen sized blanket: https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Heirloom%20blanket.jpeg

There's also the consumables that I make (lotions, soaps, etc), but again, rarely take pics because I prefer to live in the moment. :)

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 216
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal