"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: I feel a strong pull towards abrahamic religions, but it makes no sense  (Read 7142 times)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: I feel a strong pull towards abrahamic religions, but it makes no sense
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2017, 01:09:50 am »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;204220
You might want to look into Christian heresies.  I use the term neutrally to mean "outside of orthodoxy" rather than as a perjorative.

Agreed that the heresies are some of the most interesting stuff. I also enjoyed the mystics and Christian Science. So my suggestions beyond what's already been mentioned would be, hmm... Pagels on the Gnostic gospels, Julian of Norwich, St John of the Cross, the Screwtape Letters, Mary Baker Eddy, and the movie Dogma.

If you have a local United Church of Christ group available, they're like the Jesusier version of UUs and are liberal on what things are no big deal (ie queers) and what things are really bad (ie leaving the poor to die because bootstraps). Some people would probably say they're not true Scotsmen, but I like the UCC folks I've run into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2017, 03:32:49 am »
Quote from: ehbowen;204200

I'll not argue, but I believe that you will find that the situation is much worse throughout the "non-Fundie" portion of Christianity....

When she was little, starting 'round age 9 or so, my cousin was regularly raped by her Fundie fuck of a minister.
So. Ain't just the holy men in dresses doing horrible things.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2017, 03:35:07 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;204215
I'm afraid not.  Ceremonial magic makes my head hurt.

Yeah, pretty much this.  Oh I suppose it's interesting as an intellectual exercise, but really, too much damn work.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 06:46:44 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;204212
Any pointers as to where to start looking into that?

For a general intro to the Western Magical Tradition and ceremonial magic, Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts is a good starting point. It explains stuff that makes it a lot easier to understand what various medieval grimoires and the like leave out.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2017, 09:38:06 am »
Quote from: Jack;204227
Agreed that the heresies are some of the most interesting stuff. I also enjoyed the mystics and Christian Science. So my suggestions beyond what's already been mentioned would be, hmm... Pagels on the Gnostic gospels, Julian of Norwich, St John of the Cross, the Screwtape Letters, Mary Baker Eddy, and the movie Dogma.

I also recommend the Ranters' stuff. They're one of the few groups that could genuinely be called antinomian (mostly that's just a false accusation Christians throw at each other).

Abiezer Coppe's "A Fiery Flying Roll" and Laurence Clarkson's "A Single Eye" are the place to start. The latter in particular still feels dangerous and radical all these centuries later.

A sample:

No matter what Scripture, Saints, or Churches say, if that within thee do not condemn thee, thou shalt not be condemned; for saith the history, Out of thine own mouth, not another's, will I judge thee: Therefore, remember that if thou judge not thyself, let thy life be what it will, yea act what thou canst, yet if thou judge not thyself, thou shalt not be judged; For, I came not into the World to condemn, but to save the World. But if the reproach and slander of saints and churches do cause thee to question thyself, then art thou ready to say within what they report without, I am guilty of what they accuse me: So that true is the saying, O Adam, thy destruction is of thyself.

A Fiery Flying Roll - https://faculty.history.wisc.edu/sommerville/367/Coppe%20Fiery.htm

A Single Eye - https://www.exclassics.com/pamphlets/pamph004.htm

If those appeal, Nigel Smith's "A Collection of Ranter Writings" is still available and has everything you could want.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2017, 05:27:18 pm »
Quote from: Jack;204227

I just found a copy of Heaven and Hell cleaning my room, so I'd add Emmanuel Swedenborg.  (Who is one of those fascinating people whose existence is relevant to the development of movement paganism.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2017, 05:36:24 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;204268
I just found a copy of Heaven and Hell cleaning my room, so I'd add Emmanuel Swedenborg.  (Who is one of those fascinating people whose existence is relevant to the development of movement paganism.)
Ooh, good one.

Basically, OP, if you like and feel drawn to angels or Jesus or the prophets or the God of Abraham or whatever aspects, there's a wide, wide variety of options out there of ways to actually Do That Relationship. E H Bowen's Christianity and the Catholicism I grew up with and the Judaism Castus studied and the Christianity of the UCC folks I trained with and the beliefs and practices of my friends who are Muslim or Jewish or Christian encompass a huge array of interpretations, beliefs and actions. Look around and see what resonates with you. Go to lots of different services if you can. Ask lots of questions.

"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2017, 01:09:59 pm »
Quote from: Jack;204269
Ooh, good one.

Basically, OP, if you like and feel drawn to angels or Jesus or the prophets or the God of Abraham or whatever aspects, there's a wide, wide variety of options out there of ways to actually Do That Relationship. E H Bowen's Christianity and the Catholicism I grew up with and the Judaism Castus studied and the Christianity of the UCC folks I trained with and the beliefs and practices of my friends who are Muslim or Jewish or Christian encompass a huge array of interpretations, beliefs and actions. Look around and see what resonates with you. Go to lots of different services if you can. Ask lots of questions.

Thread killer, maybe. I really appreciate all of the advice I've gotten in the thread (even if I disagreed with some), and the guidance I've gotten for looking into this. Thanks guys, you're the best.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2017, 11:32:34 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;204340
Thread killer, maybe. I really appreciate all of the advice I've gotten in the thread (even if I disagreed with some), and the guidance I've gotten for looking into this. Thanks guys, you're the best.
I mean, it doesn't HAVE to be a thread killer, I'm sure we could keep on arguing regardless. ;) I'd love to know what you end up finding helpful, by the way!

Tags: