Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Dragonoake is on a distinguished road Dragonoake's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Mar 2017 @ 12:12 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pantheist

Forensic facial expert reconstructs Jesus Christ's face using ancient skulls

He appears a world-away from western representations of Jesus Christ but using forensic data from the skulls of ancient first century Jewish men, a British anatomical artist has re-imagined the face of the son of God.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a6772926.html

Journeyman Achievements:
    Overdrive31 days registered500 Experience Points
    sevensons can only hope to improve sevensons's Avatar
    Last Online
    29 Apr 2017 @ 02:13 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Mysticism

Re: Forensic facial expert reconstructs Jesus Christ's face using ancient skulls

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonoake View Post
    He appears a world-away from western representations of Jesus Christ but using forensic data from the skulls of ancient first century Jewish men, a British anatomical artist has re-imagined the face of the son of God.

So he was not beautiful.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Dynes Hysbys is on a distinguished road Dynes Hysbys's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:22 PM
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Cunningcraft

Re: Forensic facial expert reconstructs Jesus Christ's face using ancient skulls

The museum guide in Istanbul told me that the early depictions of Jesus as a young man were based on the classical looks of Apollo to help ease the transition to Christianity and as an older man were modelled on Zeus.

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassVeteranThree Friends
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:07 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Dynes Hysbys View Post
    The museum guide in Istanbul told me that the early depictions of Jesus as a young man were based on the classical looks of Apollo to help ease the transition to Christianity and as an older man were modelled on Zeus.
    That makes sense even without the "to help ease the transition" bit.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Louisvillian is on a distinguished road Louisvillian's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:01 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Religio romana
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    That makes sense even without the "to help ease the transition" bit.
    Quite; a young guy whose followers idealised him is typically taken to look like an idealised young guy. Not terribly surprising.
    But then, quite a lot of modern Pagans seem to look at everything in Christianity as having deliberately twisted pre-Christian traditions. Like it was all some kind of sinister plot and ancient Christians were moustache-twirling villains, tying Vestal Virgins to railroad tracks or something.
    The narrative not only vilifies ancient Christians a bit beyond the facts, but does a great disservice to our ancient polytheistic and pagan predecessors. It makes them look like ignorant chuckleheads, easily fooled by superficial pageantry and visuals.

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:17 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    But then, quite a lot of modern Pagans seem to look at everything in Christianity as having deliberately twisted pre-Christian traditions. Like it was all some kind of sinister plot and ancient Christians were moustache-twirling villains, tying Vestal Virgins to railroad tracks or something.
    The narrative not only vilifies ancient Christians a bit beyond the facts, but does a great disservice to our ancient polytheistic and pagan predecessors. It makes them look like ignorant chuckleheads, easily fooled by superficial pageantry and visuals.
    I keep trying, without success, to figure out what this has to do with the thread. Can you clarify?

Sunflower
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Louisvillian is on a distinguished road Louisvillian's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:01 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Religio romana
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by SunflowerP View Post
    I keep trying, without success, to figure out what this has to do with the thread. Can you clarify?

Sunflower
    It's just a tangent, going off Dynes' comment about how things like that were "to ease the transition". I was agreeing with you, that the things he mentioned made sense even without the "ease the transition" bit. The assumption that a transition was deliberately 'eased' by Christianity adopting polytheistic iconography is one that I don't have a lot of stock in. It relates to the threat entirely because of the suggestion that Christianity patterned Jesus' appearance off of Classical images of Apollo and Zeus.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Dynes Hysbys is on a distinguished road Dynes Hysbys's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:22 PM
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Cunningcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    It's just a tangent, going off Dynes' comment about how things like that were "to ease the transition". I was agreeing with you, that the things he mentioned made sense even without the "ease the transition" bit. The assumption that a transition was deliberately 'eased' by Christianity adopting polytheistic iconography is one that I don't have a lot of stock in. It relates to the threat entirely because of the suggestion that Christianity patterned Jesus' appearance off of Classical images of Apollo and Zeus.
    You will note that I said I was told that by the museum guide.

Senior Newbie MadeiraDarling is on a distinguished road MadeiraDarling's Avatar
    Last Online
    15 Apr 2017 @ 04:10 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Non-literalist worship of Dionysus, Baubo and a couple of deities I came up with myself?
    Pronouns
    They/them

Though based on the methodology isn't that just a picture of a statistically average first century Jewish man?

He could have been Nir Lavi gorgeous or literally Quasimodo for all we know, because like... most people aren't smack dab statistically average?

+ Reply to Thread