Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: House Guardians  (Read 2331 times)

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Contemplative/Christian/Eclectic
House Guardians
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:07:41 am »
Hi everyone!

I have a few questions about house guardians:

• Does every house have one? *
  • Are they culture-specific? (I'm living in a country that has people of an ancient culture still living here today, but I'm not born of that culture.)
  • How does one contact house guardians?
  • What sort of things can they help with?
  • How does one maintain a good, harmonious working relationship with them?
  • And if there are reliable resources you recommend I read, please feel free to post. :)

A bit of background:

My family and I have been living in a house for that past six years - and it feels a bit "off". I discovered several years after we bought it that a member of the family who lived here before us died on the property. I'm not sure the death occurred in the actual house; it may have been in the shed where, apparently, he was living with his dog. (I do not know anything of the history of the previous occupants beyond that there were issues between the man who died and his sister who was the owner of the house.)

From a feng shui perspective, we're on the corner of a t-junction which is a big no-no, apparently. But I'm not convinced that that's ALL there is to it. Sometimes my toddler points to something and says "man. man." (and my older son used to look at something when he was that age, too) and there are times when I feel watched - usually late at night when it's quiet - which, I admit, is going to be the time for the heebie-jeebies to strike if one is that way inclined. :) I have also woken up out of deep sleeps at night to "see" things on the wall opposite the bed. Won't go into details, though.

So I just wondered if talking to the House Guardian (if we have one) would help me to sort out anything left undone from the previous occupants. Maybe the deceased is still here? A couple of other people I've mentioned this to have said they don't think so, but - like I said. The house isn't very comfortable.

And perhaps the House Guardian can help with the T-junction issue too.

* The reason I ask if all houses have guardians is because of a story I read written by Joanne Harris, but I can't think of the title offhand right now. Basically it's about a family who wanted to create a house guardian using one of their own family members. (I won't say any more about the plot because now that I have kids of my own, it's quite upsetting to even think of.) It makes me wonder though, how do house guardians come into being? Were they family members buried within the foundations as in times past? (Because, if that's the case, I doubt anyone's buried in the foundations of this house.) Do they belong to the land the house is built on and who 'move in', so to speak?

Thank you for any help or advice. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:09:31 am by Starlight »
What you seek is seeking you. - Rumi

The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. - CG Jung

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: House Guardians
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 05:43:56 am »
Quote from: Starlight;204009
Hi everyone!

• Are they culture-specific? (I'm living in a country that has people of an ancient culture still living here today, but I'm not born of that culture.)
  • And if there are reliable resources you recommend I read, please feel free to post. :)

So I have done a bit of research and I'm linking to one particular site here in case it might help other newbies who have similar questions.

http://owlsgathering.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/ahousehold-deity-protects-ones-home.html

It appears that there are two types of household guardians - one type is bonded to family members, either the whole family or individual members; the other type is the hearth deities, like Brighid or Hestia.

That particular piece of information answers my first two questions. Household spirits/guardians are linked to the family, not the building, which makes me feel relieved. It suggests that I may already have a household spirit that is open to a working relationship now that I'm aware of this possibility.

Then I found a thread here on TC about how to contact your house's spirit (http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?12593-Connecting-with-a-house-s-soul) so that's question 3 answered. :)

Questions 4 and 5 will probably be answered as I develop a working relationship with my household spirit.

As for the last question (recommended reading material), if I find anything I'll post it here, and I'm open to recommendations from more experienced forum members.

The only other thing that has crossed my mind is how to go about making sure it *is* my household guardian I'm contacting, and not some other energy in the house pretending to be something it is not.

Will have to proceed carefully... :cf:

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:58:22 am »
My family and I have been living in a house for that past six years - and it feels a bit "off". I discovered several years after we bought it that a member of the family who lived here before us died on the property. I'm not sure the death occurred in the actual house; it may have been in the shed where, apparently, he was living with his dog. (I do not know anything of the history of the previous occupants beyond that there were issues between the man who died and his sister who was the owner of the house.)

From a feng shui perspective, we're on the corner of a t-junction which is a big no-no, apparently. But I'm not convinced that that's ALL there is to it. Sometimes my toddler points to something and says "man. man." (and my older son used to look at something when he was that age, too) and there are times when I feel watched - usually late at night when it's quiet - which, I admit, is going to be the time for the heebie-jeebies to strike if one is that way inclined. :) I have also woken up out of deep sleeps at night to "see" things on the wall opposite the bed.

This post by Jenett on another thread is also very helpful (http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?14650-House-is-off&p=201395&viewfull=1#post201395) so I'm going to try the different tactics outlined to see if I can find anything in our home that needs taking care of. (Thank you, Jenett! Every time I have a question about something, I always seem to find a post you've written that points me in the right direction to find the answer. :))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:59:43 am by Starlight »

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:20:20 am »
Quote from: Starlight;204065

That particular piece of information answers my first two questions. Household spirits/guardians are linked to the family, not the building, which makes me feel relieved. It suggests that I may already have a household spirit that is open to a working relationship now that I'm aware of this possibility.

Often but not always - the one I have at my home is most definitely linked to the house not to my family.

Quote from: Starlight;204065

As for the last question (recommended reading material), if I find anything I'll post it here, and I'm open to recommendations from more experienced forum members.

:

The best book I've found other than folklore sources is this one by Claude Lecouteux

https://www.amazon.com/Tradition-Household-Spirits-Ancestral-Practices/dp/1620551055/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 06:12:36 pm »
Hi everyone!

Thank you for any help or advice. :)

Many countries settled by Germanic peoples have folklore regarding the household wights, in Old English it was called the cofgodas.  Offering to the cofgodas is a well accepted part of modern Heathenry, keeping your codfogas happy imparts good luck and a welcoming home.

I like this article as it neatly sums up Heathen practice and some of the folklore surrounding the codfogas:

https://earendel-rising.tumblr.com/post/126222842979/offering-to-the-cofgodas-house-wights

It seems folk used to build little houses for their house wight to live in and this practice appears to have survived into the medieval Christianity period in Europe as the practice is condemned in the Indiculus superstitionum et paganiarum (an early Christian index of pagan superstitions).

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:50:48 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;204068
Often but not always - the one I have at my home is most definitely linked to the house not to my family.

Thanks, Dynes Hysbys. Looks like I've got more research to do to figure out if we have one here already.

Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;204068
The best book I've found other than folklore sources is this one by Claude Lecouteux

https://www.amazon.com/Tradition-Household-Spirits-Ancestral-Practices/dp/1620551055/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll check that out right away.

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:17:23 pm »
Quote from: Hildeburh;204078
Many countries settled by Germanic peoples have folklore regarding the household wights, in Old English it was called the cofgodas.  Offering to the cofgodas is a well accepted part of modern Heathenry, keeping your codfogas happy imparts good luck and a welcoming home.

I like this article as it neatly sums up Heathen practice and some of the folklore surrounding the codfogas:

https://earendel-rising.tumblr.com/post/126222842979/offering-to-the-cofgodas-house-wights

It seems folk used to build little houses for their house wight to live in and this practice appears to have survived into the medieval Christianity period in Europe as the practice is condemned in the Indiculus superstitionum et paganiarum (an early Christian index of pagan superstitions).

Ah! This belief is of Germanic and Heathen origin. Thank you for that. Perhaps that's why there are two types of house guardian - the peoples we know as Celts probably left offerings for the hearth deity, Brighid, rather that to guardians unique to their household or family. (Although I do remember doing some research that suggested families actually DID have personal deities which was an explanation why there are references to more than 300 Celtic gods/goddesses.)

Which then leads me to two more issues on this topic.

1) Not following a Heathen path myself, it doesn't feel right to assume it's ok to try and work with a household guardian (if there is even one here). Perhaps I should be leaving offerings for Brighid instead (which has been on my mind for a while but I haven't taken any steps in that direction yet). Is leaving an offering to Brighid more of a way of working with her in her greater threefold aspect, rather than for asking for her help with the household chores/responsibilities/protection?

2) Is there a different type of energy here that belongs to the land the house was built on? And if so, then the best I can hope to do is acknowledge that spirit, pay my respects, and see if anything happens.

I'm not living in my country of origin, and this is bringing up so many challenges. The energies here are ANCIENT. This land is so old in terms of human habitation. Way older than the 12,000-year evidence of people living in Ireland which was found last year in a cave in Co Clare. (http://irisharchaeology.ie/2016/03/new-discovery-pushes-back-date-of-human-existence-in-ireland-by-2500-years/ if anyone's interested.) Working with completely unfamiliar energies is a huge challenge. How does one even begin?

I'll keep journeying on, and my thanks for your help and the link to the article. I appreciate learning more. :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:21:11 pm by Starlight »

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 07:02:30 am »
Quote from: Starlight;204088
Ah! This belief is of Germanic and Heathen origin. Thank you for that. Perhaps that's why there are two types of house guardian - the peoples we know as Celts probably left offerings for the hearth deity, Brighid, rather that to guardians unique to their household or family. (Although I do remember doing some research that suggested families actually DID have personal deities which was an explanation why there are references to more than 300 Celtic gods/goddesses.)

Which then leads me to two more issues on this topic.

1) Not following a Heathen path myself, it doesn't feel right to assume it's ok to try and work with a household guardian (if there is even one here). Perhaps I should be leaving offerings for Brighid instead (which has been on my mind for a while but I haven't taken any steps in that direction yet). Is leaving an offering to Brighid more of a way of working with her in her greater threefold aspect, rather than for asking for her help with the household chores/responsibilities/protection?

2) Is there a different type of energy here that belongs to the land the house was built on? And if so, then the best I can hope to do is acknowledge that spirit, pay my respects, and see if anything happens.

I'm not living in my country of origin, and this is bringing up so many challenges. The energies here are ANCIENT. This land is so old in terms of human habitation. Way older than the 12,000-year evidence of people living in Ireland which was found last year in a cave in Co Clare. (http://irisharchaeology.ie/2016/03/new-discovery-pushes-back-date-of-human-existence-in-ireland-by-2500-years/ if anyone's interested.) Working with completely unfamiliar energies is a huge challenge. How does one even begin?

I'll keep journeying on, and my thanks for your help and the link to the article. I appreciate learning more. :)

The Celts(and Germanic tribes)  had tribal/ancestral goddesses known as the matronae and matres. Many Celtic deities were local, possibly tied to specific regional features or tribes, a few like Lug were possibly pan-Celtic. But I'm not sure that there is any evidence to support individual personal gods/esses, if you find some information I would be interested. There's an article here on the matronae/matres.

http://brewminate.com/goddesses-in-celtic-religion-the-matres-and-matronae/

Hearth goddess is certainly one of the many areas of life Brighid influences, if you offer to her and form a relationship I guess you will get the whole package rather than one aspect; which may benefit you in other areas of your life/work. I don't understand you use of Bridhid's "threefold aspect" is that a syncretism from modern religious witchcraft?

Heathens offer to their land wights, mostly so we stay on good terms with them and they don't abandon the land,  which is thought to bring bad luck in terms of the lands fertility, in Old English lore they could also make people and livestock sick. They are not considered to be interested in forming relationships with humans or be particularly human friendly so a simple offering with a respectful few words is all that is required.

Even though I am Heathen I do not offer to a codfogas, I prefer to focus on my ancestors, who I believe have a vested interest in the protection and continuation of the family line.

I am also living in Australia which is not the land of my birth or ancestors and it certainly does present challenges. But I love this land and its ancient energy, I see points of similarity between heathenry and Aboriginal beliefs, in terms of their belief in ancestral spirits, spirits that inhabit certain land features, spirits associated with certain natural events and the importance of honouring and respecting them.

So in my practice I focus on my ancestors, land wights and a limited number of Heathen gods that I feel the presence of in this land.

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 09:06:31 am »
Quote from: Hildeburh;204106
I am also living in Australia which is not the land of my birth or ancestors and it certainly does present challenges.

You understand exactly how I feel, then. Woo hoo!

But I love this land and its ancient energy,
Me too. I have a great respect for it. Even though I feel uprooted and displaced, as well.

I see points of similarity between heathenry and Aboriginal beliefs, in terms of their belief in ancestral spirits, spirits that inhabit certain land features, spirits associated with certain natural events and the importance of honouring and respecting them.

So in my practice I focus on my ancestors, land wights and a limited number of Heathen gods that I feel the presence of in this land.

Even though I am Heathen I do not offer to a codfogas, I prefer to focus on my ancestors, who I believe have a vested interest in the protection and continuation of the family line.

I can relate to Ancestor veneration - this is something I do on a fairly regular (nearly daily) basis. I talk to them often about things that are going on. Why did I never think to ask for their help with my home? Duh. *head slumps onto keyboard*

The Celts(and Germanic tribes)  had tribal/ancestral goddesses known as the matronae and matres. Many Celtic deities were local, possibly tied to specific regional features or tribes, a few like Lug were possibly pan-Celtic. But I'm not sure that there is any evidence to support individual personal gods/esses, if you find some information I would be interested.

My apologies - I misworded what I meant. I didn't mean an individual had a personal god, I meant that some tribes had deities of particular importance to their tribe.

There's an article here on the matronae/matres.

http://brewminate.com/goddesses-in-celtic-religion-the-matres-and-matronae/

Hearth goddess is certainly one of the many areas of life Brighid influences, if you offer to her and form a relationship I guess you will get the whole package rather than one aspect; which may benefit you in other areas of your life/work. I don't understand you use of Bridhid's "threefold aspect" is that a syncretism from modern religious witchcraft?

Triple gods and triple goddesses are a feature of Celtic mythology (but not in a maiden-mother-crone way). There are three sisters called Brighid - one takes care of the hearth and home, women, childbirth; one is involved in poetry and healing and divination; and the third is a smith (more magical in nature because of the use of fire and of crafting something into something else). Brighid has been a part of my life from early childhood (I went to schools named for St Brigid :) ) so perhaps it's time to build a relationship properly now, and, as you say, incorporate her teachings and wisdom into other areas of my life also.

And thank you for the link. :)

Heathens offer to their land wights, mostly so we stay on good terms with them and they don't abandon the land,  which is thought to bring bad luck in terms of the lands fertility, in Old English lore they could also make people and livestock sick. They are not considered to be interested in forming relationships with humans or be particularly human friendly so a simple offering with a respectful few words is all that is required.

I usually say something each day about paying my respects to the ancestors of this land, but perhaps offering some water would be an appropriate thing to do, too. Thank you for the suggestion.

And thank you for reaching out and for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It means a lot. (Even more so because you can relate to living here in Australia when your land of birth is elsewhere.) Thank you so much!

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 04:53:06 pm »
Quote from: Starlight;204108
Triple gods and triple goddesses are a feature of Celtic mythology (but not in a maiden-mother-crone way). There are three sisters called Brighid - one takes care of the hearth and home, women, childbirth; one is involved in poetry and healing and divination; and the third is a smith (more magical in nature because of the use of fire and of crafting something into something else). Brighid has been a part of my life from early childhood (I went to schools named for St Brigid :) ) so perhaps it's time to build a relationship properly now, and, as you say, incorporate her teachings and wisdom into other areas of my life also.

Thanks for the education, Celtic mythology is not my area.

Hi from Queensland :)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 07:17:47 pm »
Quote from: Starlight;204088
Ah! This belief is of Germanic and Heathen origin.

That's sort of a leap, isn't it?  Why assume that the belief is only in those places?

The Slavic term for the house guardian is 'domovoi'.

Wikipedia suggests, in addition to the domovoi (and other spirits, I've forgotten the yard-spirit's name, and of course the bannik who you don't want to fuck with) and the cofgodas, the lares and penates (Roman), the gashin (Korean), teraphim (pre-Judaic, found in the Bible), nisse (Danish/Norwegian, which is also an ancestral spirit, similar spirits are the tomte in Sweden and the tonttu in Finland), kobolds (Germanic), and possibly the Scottish brownie fairies.  Plus, of course, the domestic gods (Hestia, f'ex).  At least some of ancient Greece had house snakes which were thought to be the guardian spirit manifest, which may also be a trait for Minoans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_deity

Dealing with the spirits of the land is different than dealing with spirits of buildings, though the ones that live in proximity to humans and cultivated land are generally not the same as the wild ones.  (My teacher once commented that the spirits in one place only wanted graham crackers... and then discovered that they were invented there.)

Listen.  Try to figure out what they have to say to you.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 07:10:31 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;204133
That's sort of a leap, isn't it?  Why assume that the belief is only in those places?.

I dont think anyone was suggesting that these wights were soley Germanic, we were however discussing a particular example of the house guardian.

PS, The Nisse, Kobold, Tomte mentioned in your article are Germanic. As is the Brownie which is prevalent in Northern English as well as Scottish folklore.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:14:54 am by Hildeburh »

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 07:11:09 am »
That's sort of a leap, isn't it?  Why assume that the belief is only in those places?

Yes, it was a leap. A mix of newbie meets misreading Hildeburh's words. Oooops.

I read a sample from the book Hildeburh recommended and it gave me a much better picture of the nature of house spirits and the different cultures that include house spirits in their beliefs. And thank you, as well, for outlining more house spirits. Wow! There are many. And not all of them friendly.

Dealing with the spirits of the land is different than dealing with spirits of buildings, though the ones that live in proximity to humans and cultivated land are generally not the same as the wild ones.

Listen.  Try to figure out what they have to say to you.

Thanks, Darkhawk. I will. :)

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 07:14:25 am »
Quote from: Hildeburh;204183
I dont think anyone was suggesting that these wights were soley Germanic, we were however discussing a particular example of the house guardian.

PS, The Nisse, Kobold, Tomte mentioned in your article are Germanic. As is the Brownie which is prevalent in Northern English as well as Scottish folklore.

Yes, that was what was in the back of my mind, the connection between England and Germany and how the Saxons and Angles brought their beliefs with them. I was thinking back to English fairytales and brownies and such. I would be more familiar with them than with the house spirits of other cultures.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:20:40 am by Starlight »

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 08:31:22 am »
Quote from: Starlight;204185
Yes, that was what was in the back of my mind, the connection between England and Germany and how the Saxons and Angles brought their beliefs with them. I was thinking back to English fairytales and brownies and such. I would be more familiar with them than with the house spirits of other cultures.

But I can see how my sentence could be taken to mean all house spirits. It's a good reminder to be careful with my wording.

Tags: