+ Reply to Thread
    Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Yei is a jewel in the rough Yei is a jewel in the rough Yei is a jewel in the rough Yei's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Mexica Reconstruction

Bloodletting Implements

Not sure if this will be controversial, but I am looking for recommendations on bloodletting tools. It is probably not surprising that auto-sacrifice is an important ritual for me. However, I have been having some problems with it lately. Normally I use a scalpel, but I've noticed that the blades, so sharp at first, go blunt very quickly.
    I guess I would like to either:
    1) Find an equivalent that tends to remain sharper, for longer.
    or:
    2) Find a source of blades that is very cheap.
    Things may be complicated by the fact that I, for privacy reasons, prefer to bleed myself from the thigh, which does not produce much blood, and scalpel cuts are not exactly discreet.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Chatelaine will become famous soon enough Chatelaine's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Eastern Orthodox Christian

Re: Bloodletting Implements

Quote Originally Posted by Yei View Post
    Not sure if this will be controversial, but I am looking for recommendations on bloodletting tools. It is probably not surprising that auto-sacrifice is an important ritual for me. However, I have been having some problems with it lately. Normally I use a scalpel, but I've noticed that the blades, so sharp at first, go blunt very quickly.
    or:
    Things may be complicated by the fact that I, for privacy reasons, prefer to bleed myself from the thigh, which does not produce much blood, and scalpel cuts are not exactly discreet.
    You can buy single-use lancets on Amazon, in packs of 100 or more, for only a few bucks. (search)
    'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
    ~St Augustine~
    Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    11 Apr 2017 @ 05:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

or:
    And if I may piggyback on Yei's question: I have to draw blood for a ritual tomorrow--no major bloodletting, just a bit--but in 50+ years I've never deliberately cut into myself. Is there an easy and proper way?

I figured I'd do a pinprick to a finger, after dousing the pin with rubbing alcohol and heating it over a flame to sterilize it.
    Last edited by Altair; 19 Mar 2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: deleted extra word

Journeyman
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    ehbowen is on a distinguished road ehbowen's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Southern Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    And if I may piggyback on Yei's question: I have to draw blood for a ritual tomorrow--no major bloodletting, just a bit--but in 50+ years I've never deliberately cut into myself. Is there an easy and proper way?

I figured I'd do a pinprick to a finger, after dousing the pin with rubbing alcohol and heating it over a flame to sterilize it.
    The sterile lancets are a better choice. Go to any drugstore and ask for a small box of lancets and a pack of alcohol prep pads (to wipe the site before lancing), and they won't even blink an eye. If you're using your finger, I recommend using the side of the fingertip. Less sensitive (less pain) than the pad, easier to clean, and a better flow of blood.

Edit To Add: They may ask which type of lancet (as there are many proprietary spring actuators). Just tell them this is a short term project and you need something you can use by hand.
    Last edited by ehbowen; 19 Mar 2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Add a thought.
    --------Eric H. Bowen
    Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    11 Apr 2017 @ 05:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
    The sterile lancets are a better choice. Go to any drugstore and ask for a small box of lancets and a pack of alcohol prep pads (to wipe the site before lancing), and they won't even blink an eye. If you're using your finger, I recommend using the side of the fingertip. Less sensitive (less pain) than the pad, easier to clean, and a better flow of blood.

Edit To Add: They may ask which type of lancet (as there are many proprietary spring actuators). Just tell them this is a short term project and you need something you can use by hand.
    Thanks, Eric; I think maybe the Cauldron collectively knows everything!

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Yei is a jewel in the rough Yei is a jewel in the rough Yei is a jewel in the rough Yei's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Mexica Reconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    You can buy single-use lancets on Amazon, in packs of 100 or more, for only a few bucks. (search)
    That's actually a really good idea. I'll have to buy them from a local chemist, as Amazon does not seem to want to send them to Australia.

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

That's actually a really good idea. I'll have to buy them from a local chemist, as Amazon does not seem to want to send them to Australia.
    Perhaps Amazon Australia will be more useful to you - though simply buying the old-fashioned way from a bricks-and-mortar store bypasses shipping costs and is usually simpler.

Sunflower
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

+ Reply to Thread