Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Bloodletting Implements  (Read 2032 times)

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Bloodletting Implements
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:45:25 am »
Not sure if this will be controversial, but I am looking for recommendations on bloodletting tools. It is probably not surprising that auto-sacrifice is an important ritual for me. However, I have been having some problems with it lately. Normally I use a scalpel, but I've noticed that the blades, so sharp at first, go blunt very quickly.
I guess I would like to either:
1) Find an equivalent that tends to remain sharper, for longer.
or:
2) Find a source of blades that is very cheap.
Things may be complicated by the fact that I, for privacy reasons, prefer to bleed myself from the thigh, which does not produce much blood, and scalpel cuts are not exactly discreet.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Bloodletting Implements
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 08:18:35 am »
Quote from: Yei;203894
Not sure if this will be controversial, but I am looking for recommendations on bloodletting tools. It is probably not surprising that auto-sacrifice is an important ritual for me. However, I have been having some problems with it lately. Normally I use a scalpel, but I've noticed that the blades, so sharp at first, go blunt very quickly.
or:
Things may be complicated by the fact that I, for privacy reasons, prefer to bleed myself from the thigh, which does not produce much blood, and scalpel cuts are not exactly discreet.

You can buy single-use lancets on Amazon, in packs of 100 or more, for only a few bucks. (search)
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:56:33 am »
Quote from: Yei;203894
or:

And if I may piggyback on Yei's question: I have to draw blood for a ritual tomorrow--no major bloodletting, just a bit--but in 50+ years I've never deliberately cut into myself. Is there an easy and proper way?

I figured I'd do a pinprick to a finger, after dousing the pin with rubbing alcohol and heating it over a flame to sterilize it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:57:10 am by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:17:51 am »
Quote from: Altair;203903
And if I may piggyback on Yei's question: I have to draw blood for a ritual tomorrow--no major bloodletting, just a bit--but in 50+ years I've never deliberately cut into myself. Is there an easy and proper way?

I figured I'd do a pinprick to a finger, after dousing the pin with rubbing alcohol and heating it over a flame to sterilize it.

The sterile lancets are a better choice. Go to any drugstore and ask for a small box of lancets and a pack of alcohol prep pads (to wipe the site before lancing), and they won't even blink an eye. If you're using your finger, I recommend using the side of the fingertip. Less sensitive (less pain) than the pad, easier to clean, and a better flow of blood.

Edit To Add: They may ask which type of lancet (as there are many proprietary spring actuators). Just tell them this is a short term project and you need something you can use by hand.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:19:39 am by ehbowen »
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 02:28:44 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;203905
The sterile lancets are a better choice. Go to any drugstore and ask for a small box of lancets and a pack of alcohol prep pads (to wipe the site before lancing), and they won't even blink an eye. If you're using your finger, I recommend using the side of the fingertip. Less sensitive (less pain) than the pad, easier to clean, and a better flow of blood.

Edit To Add: They may ask which type of lancet (as there are many proprietary spring actuators). Just tell them this is a short term project and you need something you can use by hand.

Thanks, Eric; I think maybe the Cauldron collectively knows everything!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:35:18 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;203900
You can buy single-use lancets on Amazon, in packs of 100 or more, for only a few bucks. (search)

That's actually a really good idea. I'll have to buy them from a local chemist, as Amazon does not seem to want to send them to Australia.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 08:57:21 pm »
Quote from: Yei;203933
That's actually a really good idea. I'll have to buy them from a local chemist, as Amazon does not seem to want to send them to Australia.

Perhaps Amazon Australia will be more useful to you - though simply buying the old-fashioned way from a bricks-and-mortar store bypasses shipping costs and is usually simpler.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 173
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal