16 Mar 2017 @ 01:41 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Paganism
    Pronouns
    He, Him

Research paper.

Hello all, I am writing a research paper on Wicca and it's marginalization. I need some vetted sources and veteran witches to speak to me on the injustice witches face, among obstacles they have faced because they are witches. If someone posts a response please get a couple references, as I need a veteran Witch for this project.

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Re: Research paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeohex View Post
    Hello all, I am writing a research paper on Wicca and it's marginalization. I need some vetted sources and veteran witches to speak to me on the injustice witches face, among obstacles they have faced because they are witches. If someone posts a response please get a couple references, as I need a veteran Witch for this project.
    Hi, Bladeohex,

I've moved your thread from 'Magic and the Occult for Beginners' to 'Paganism for Beginners', since you refer specifically to Wicca, a form of pagan religious witchcraft (the mention of 'witchcraft' in one of the subforums in 'Magic and the Occult' refers to the magical practice of witchcraft, which is not necessarily religious at all).

Some points on which I'd like you to post more information:

1. Is this research paper a school project, or something you're doing independently of school? If the former, some info about things like what class it's for would be good. If the latter, what do you plan to do with the paper when you've completed it?

2. You call it a 'research paper on Wicca', but after that, go on to talk about obstacles/injustice faced by people as witches. It would be helpful if you're more specific about just what you mean by 'Wicca', which is a word that gets used in a lot of different ways. (This article will give you a better idea of the variety of ways it's used, and help you to be more specific in this thread.

You should probably also take a look at our research guidelines, if you haven't done so already.

Sunflower
    TC Forum Staff
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: Research paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeohex View Post
    Hi, there.

In addition to the question Sunflower asked about your project, you should be aware that asking for references like you did is - well, a thing a lot of witches are cautious of.

Confidentiality is a big thing in some witchcraft traditions, and a general common practice in a lot of Pagan paths. Many people use a different name in the Pagan community, and many of us only provide the kinds of references you are asking for to potential students in our traditions (since they automatically out other people as Pagans and - if the references are going to be useful demand some of their time.)

That said, there are a lot of people on here who have established histories on this site, or who can point to other public information (I have a website, for example, that has been up since 2011 at http://gleewood.org/seeking - and which you can verify that for independently via the Wayback Machine.)

I'm also a librarian, and have been a high school and academic librairan in the past, so if you have questions about how to negotiate the question of references, I can likely help some of with that (but you might need to talk to your teacher or professor about what would be acceptable to them. I'm currently on vacation and at a Pagan conference at the moment, but would be glad to help with that conversation if you need.)
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

+ Reply to Thread