+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Staff Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 Mar 2017 @ 05:41 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Kemetic Remix

Re: Deification of political leaders

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    It would not make much sense for most offices -- especially those with a term of office less than "the rest of your life" as you'd otherwise have temporary gods who lose their deity status when they lose their office (either by losing an election or by retiring).
    You make a good point, though I was thinking more of the practice of posthumously deifying people. Though the modern examples of that I can think of (Stalin, Kim Il-Sung) are not very positive.

That said, I'm pretty sure many politicians think they are at least minor deities.
    It's like the reverse of that old saying, "but will they come, when you call them?"

Staff Achievements:
    Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru has a spectacular aura about Sefiru's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Kemetic Remix

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    In a theoretical polytheist version of the United States, maybe, but that kinda raises more questions than not for things in general. Like which polytheistic tradition would have most likely settled here. Would it have been the polytheistic version of the Pilgrims who wanted to worship their own gods in their own way settling over here?
    Now there is a thought experiment, and possibly a future thread.

Adept Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Fictional Reconstructionist, imaginary Baltic heathen, Loki-adjacent, small p polytheist and UU
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I can't really see it as a thing that could happen in the United States as it is, considering the prevalence of Christianity and the idea that there's only one god. In a theoretical polytheist version of the United States, maybe, but that kinda raises more questions than not for things in general.
    Well there's always the Apotheosis of Washington and the pantheon of accompanying deities that is enshrined in the capitol building. I've thought about attempting to work with them for political/social work to see what came of it.

I would say that Washington, Lincoln and JFK definitely have been apotheosized in the popular imagination. You could make a case for others, like Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt.

In non-presidents, MLK, Benjamin Franklin, Susan B Anthony... I've honored folks like Harvey Milk and Emma Goldman. I think apotheosis or even just sainthood work best as folk practice, not as a state choice, but I know that's not how Religio Romana tends to work.
    Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
    "Jack, you are gravely disordered." - Castus
    "[Jack], you are embracing a lie which will ultimately prove destructive to you and those around you and for which there will be consequences." - ehbowen

Master Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Devotee of Veles, Slavic Heathen, Fictional Recon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Well there's always the Apotheosis of Washington and the pantheon of accompanying deities that is enshrined in the capitol building. I've thought about attempting to work with them for political/social work to see what came of it.

I would say that Washington, Lincoln and JFK definitely have been apotheosized in the popular imagination. You could make a case for others, like Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt.

In non-presidents, MLK, Benjamin Franklin, Susan B Anthony... I've honored folks like Harvey Milk and Emma Goldman. I think apotheosis or even just sainthood work best as folk practice, not as a state choice, but I know that's not how Religio Romana tends to work.
    Yeah, I was mostly thinking about how it wouldn't work as a state sanctioned practice, but having them as at the very least, being powerful spirits to call on to help people makes sense. Especially considering I've may have hoped for the ghosts of Teddy Roosevelt, FDR and Winston Churchill to haunt certain people.

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    hraefngar is on a distinguished road hraefngar's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Heathenry

Quote Originally Posted by Sefiru View Post
    It being the Ides of March, I have been thinking about Roman Emperors and the deification thereof. Is there any applicability of this concept in modern times? Does such a practice have any place in a democratic society? What criteria would you use to determine if a leader gets to be deified?
    From what I understand, the original concept was that one honored the genius of the emperors, the genius being the shadowy spiritual double / higher self that was responsible for procreation and inspiration. A Roman family honored the genius of its leading male figure - the paterfamilias. When Augustus took over, he found it politically expedient to say he was the paterfamilias of the Roman state, and that his genius was worthy of honors from all Romans.

This was different from the later outright deification of increasingly insane and autocratic Roman emperors.

In any case, the former concept holds no validity to anyone who isn't a Roman pagan, and the latter concept is completely unacceptable in a democratic society.

Master Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    English Dissenter

Quote Originally Posted by Sefiru View Post
    You make a good point, though I was thinking more of the practice of posthumously deifying people. Though the modern examples of that I can think of (Stalin, Kim Il-Sung) are not very positive.
    In terms of informal deification, Che guevara, Princess Diana and Nelson Mandela would all qualify I think.

Because what we're dealing with there is the avatar of rebellion, the people's princess and the peacemaker.

It doesn't necessarily have much to do with who they actually were as people.
    Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Staff Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Kemetic Remix

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    It doesn't necessarily have much to do with who they actually were as people.
    Also a point worth thinking about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2