Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Updating To Modern  (Read 3717 times)

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Re: Updating To Modern
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 06:12:09 pm »
Quote from: Oskar;204007
Yes I am indirectly dependent on farming. I just meant that in today's world I do not have to work the land myself to survive, I have other choices in today's society.

All the more reason to use a festival as an opportunity to remind yourself of things which you are disconnected from in your everyday life, yet have a profound impact on you and how you live. After all, this is a major part of religious performances (at least that I am familiar with). Be it historical, social, agricultural, or something else, rituals exist to help us reconnect with parts of our world that would otherwise be forgotten.

Other professions that did not exist 5000 years ago. Now I have a choice of whether to work as a farmer or choose a profession far removed from the basic necessities like agriculture. There were other professions around then but not nearly as many as now and a lot of people did not have the choices we have today.

Honestly, I have difficulty thinking of a profession outside of computing that has no connection at all to the past. And even then computing can be used to facilitate and complement traditional activities. After all, all existing professions had to come from somewhere.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 06:41:44 pm »
Quote from: Yei;204028
Honestly, I have difficulty thinking of a profession outside of computing that has no connection at all to the past. And even then computing can be used to facilitate and complement traditional activities. After all, all existing professions had to come from somewhere.

I would think that you could trace computing and information technology all the way back to the astronomers and record keepers of Hammurabi's day. While the tools have changed, the purpose for which they are employed has not.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 09:54:30 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;203536
those powers and ways of relating to the world grew up in a particular time and place, and the assumptions are written in landscapes which many of us don't live in.

When I was into Hellenic and Roman reconstructionism, this was my main problem with the "Reconstructionist" crowd.  So much of those religions are (or were a few years ago, at least) centered around studying the festivals of Rome and Athens that survived in the literature, and then trying to adapt those festivals to individual use or small group use.  The problem, as I saw it, was that since none of us live in an ancient city-state with the same civic and agricultural understandings of the ancients, most of those festivals seem highly anachronistic in the modern era.  Also, if don't live in a Mediterranean climate, then the timing of those festivals really don't even match up to one's local climate.

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:05 pm »
And even if we did live in those landscapes, they don't mean the same things anymore.  The Nile doesn't flood anymore.  A world of reliable house heating and nature in need of protection from people rather than vice versa is not the enduring struggle for survival that northern Europe once knew, and so on.

How do people wrestle with these questions?

I follow Odin.  I think if there is a god who has adapted very well to modern times, it is Odin.  You practice magic of any sort, whether its high Ceremonial Magick or the simplest hoodoo?  Well, Odin is a god of magic.  You have any creative and artistic drive at all (but most especially writing and poetry)? Well, Odin is the god of wod.  You like to travel? Odin is the god for wanderers.  Are you a scientist or scholar? Odin is the god who thirsts for knowledge.    You can be living in the middle of a megaopolis surrounded by technology and urban environs, and Odin fits in quite well.  

Don't follow Odin?  You can still make Heathenry work.  Some of my Heathen friends who are a lot more into gardening and such than I am have managed to fit Heathen festivals into a framework of modern observance of the cycle of the seasons.  For instance, a Freyrsman I know lives on a  farmhouse, has a huge garden, and his religion is a gentle one centered around the "harvest" of the fruits of the earth.   :)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 07:41:21 am »
So I wrote this post and suddenly got to thinking.

For those people who are dealing with ancient pantheons and their theologies, we often have a bit of a gap to deal with: those powers and ways of relating to the world grew up in a particular time and place, and the assumptions are written in landscapes which many of us don't live in.

And even if we did live in those landscapes, they don't mean the same things anymore.  The Nile doesn't flood anymore.  A world of reliable house heating and nature in need of protection from people rather than vice versa is not the enduring struggle for survival that northern Europe once knew, and so on.

How do people wrestle with these questions?

I feel that Brigid transposes perfectly to the twenty first centuary. I see her spheres as being the things that are essential for building civilizations: culture, technology, and medicine, are basically the building blocks for civilization, however large or small they are
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Tags: