Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Reccomended fae/faerie lore books?  (Read 6124 times)

AbyssinianForge

• View Profile
Reccomended fae/faerie lore books?
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:03:10 am »
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you knew of any books that had to do specifically with faerie lore. Things regarding how they were viewed, what was done around them, where they resided, etc. I have picked up many books that really only "touch" the subject, they will say faerie kind was revered or the like, and then nothing more! They fascinate me so and I would love to read about just them if possible!

Thank you for looking!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Reccomended fae/faerie lore books?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 01:33:01 am »
Quote from: AbyssinianForge;203531
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you knew of any books that had to do specifically with faerie lore. Things regarding how they were viewed, what was done around them, where they resided, etc. I have picked up many books that really only "touch" the subject, they will say faerie kind was revered or the like, and then nothing more! They fascinate me so and I would love to read about just them if possible!

Thank you for looking!

Here are a few threads, on both the current and the archive board, that have book recs and other info of interest (and the archive-board thread has links to other archive-board threads, as well). I recommend paying particular attention to any posts made by Catja, who is a folklorist by profession.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

AbyssinianForge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:29:08 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;203532
Here are a few threads, on both the current and the archive board, that have book recs and other info of interest (and the archive-board thread has links to other archive-board threads, as well). I recommend paying particular attention to any posts made by Catja, who is a folklorist by profession.

Sunflower

Ah, thank you very much! I have added many books to my must read collection.

LittleBlackbird

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Wiccan, Hedgewitch, Fairy Faith
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 11:57:47 am »

Thank you for looking!

I am currently reading English Myths and Legends by Henry Bett. It has a chapter on traditional Fairy lore in England. I would also recommend The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People: A Compendium of International Fairy Folklore by Thomas Keightley.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:33:41 pm »
I would also recommend The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People: A Compendium of International Fairy Folklore by Thomas Keightley.

That was my starter! Doorstopper of a tome, but by now I believe the full text is available online (sacred-texts or gutenberg or something) under a simpler title? But by the same author.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

LittleBlackbird

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Wiccan, Hedgewitch, Fairy Faith
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:05:14 pm »
I just remembered! The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by Evans-Wentz.

That one is a tome of a book. I haven't checked if its on Sacred-Texts or not. I think I bought mine as a garage sale or a thrift shop.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 04:43:14 am »

Thank you for looking!

I would recommend Morgan Daimler's books:
'Pagan Portals - Fairy Witchcraft'
'Fairycraft'
'Fairies: A Guide to the Celtic Fair Folk' (currently on pre-order)

I honestly can't recommend her books enough!
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
I just remembered! The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by Evans-Wentz.

That one is a tome of a book. I haven't checked if its on Sacred-Texts or not. I think I bought mine as a garage sale or a thrift shop.

A Reminder:
Hi, LittleBlackbird,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft/Gaelic polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 12:01:12 am »
I would recommend Morgan Daimler's books:
'Pagan Portals - Fairy Witchcraft'
'Fairycraft'
'Fairies: A Guide to the Celtic Fair Folk' (currently on pre-order)

I honestly can't recommend her books enough!

I read Fairy Witchcraft read Daimler. It was good. I've been meaning to get to Fairycraft (I have a long list). How different is it from Fairy Witchcraft?

I also have read her books on The Morrigan and Brighid. She is good, especially to get your feet wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people."

- W.B. Yeats

Ecco

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ford.rachel
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 10:52:41 am »
I read Fairy Witchcraft read Daimler. It was good. I've been meaning to get to Fairycraft (I have a long list). How different is it from Fairy Witchcraft?

I also have read her books on The Morrigan and Brighid. She is good, especially to get your feet wet.

Fairycraft was so much better than my previous literary experience with the subject (Llewyn's Faery Wicca was so watered down and basically any other Wicca rehashed with Celtic deities). She does a great job at providing historical context and folklore associations with the fae. So instead of just getting a "insert celtic deity here" sort of reading experience substituting one pantheon for the other, she actually discusses in depth the craft as medium for working with the sidhe. It's well worth buying as she is an encyclodpedia's worth of knowledge about folk magic and old practices and beliefs regarding the fae.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 05:43:15 pm »

Fairycraft was so much better than my previous literary experience with the subject (Llewyn's Faery Wicca was so watered down and basically any other Wicca rehashed with Celtic deities). She does a great job at providing historical context and folklore associations with the fae. So instead of just getting a "insert celtic deity here" sort of reading experience substituting one pantheon for the other, she actually discusses in depth the craft as medium for working with the sidhe. It's well worth buying as she is an encyclodpedia's worth of knowledge about folk magic and old practices and beliefs regarding the fae.

Agreed! Fairycraft is a lot more in-depth and actually took me a while to read surprisingly because there is so much detail to digest! :)
Honestly the only complaint I have about the book is the cover because I don't think it does the actual book content much justice and has put people off (a friend of mine was giving it side-eye for that exact reason until I recommended it). Her soon-to-be published book on this topic has a much more appropriate cover I think, I can't wait to read that one too.

MabSolana

• View Profile
  • Religion: Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 03:12:49 am »
Agreed! Fairycraft is a lot more in-depth and actually took me a while to read surprisingly because there is so much detail to digest! :)
Honestly the only complaint I have about the book is the cover because I don't think it does the actual book content much justice and has put people off (a friend of mine was giving it side-eye for that exact reason until I recommended it). Her soon-to-be published book on this topic has a much more appropriate cover I think, I can't wait to read that one too.

I am currently reading The Tree of Enchantment by Orion Foxwood, a book about Faery Seership. I greatly suggest it, as well as his other book, The Faery Teachings.
http://www.orionfoxwood.com/books-a-cds.html
“At heart we are all powerful, beautiful, and capable of changing the world with our bare hands.”
― Dianne Sylvan, The Body Sacred

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 10:33:25 am »

Thank you! I'll make sure to read it this summer!

- W.B. Yeats

MamaThistle

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 10:34:52 am »

Yes, I've read a couple of her books now, I really like her style. Have you read her blog?

- W.B. Yeats

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 05:45:43 pm »
Yes, I've read a couple of her books now, I really like her style. Have you read her blog?

I have indeed, been reading it for a few years now.

Tags: