Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017  (Read 9126 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:22:11 pm »
Lots of us pagans (and non-pagans, too) want to be in better shape--because our path might regard the body as the ultimate temple, because it would allow us to better serve or honor our god(s), because we simply want to improve our health generally, or a host of other reasons--but our community seems too often to be heavy on the bookishness and light on the athleticism. Here's an attempt to rebalance that a bit.

No, we're not going to groom a horde of Schwarzeneggers (though if you're in that league, that's fine, too.) The idea is to use this thread as mutual encouragement to get us all to make incremental improvements in our fitness, no matter where we're starting from, and no matter what physical challenges we may face on a daily basis.

Here's how it works:

1) Set your goal. Things to consider when you do--
  • Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.
  • Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.
  • Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!

END DATE for this iteration of the Fitness Challenge: June 21, 2017.

(The summer solstice, about 3 months from now.)

Shout out your goals here now, folks! No shaming, just tough love--as in "YOU set this goal; now we're going to see to it that you stick to it."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:18:02 am by RandallS »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:11:50 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203437
Set your goal

I am going to keep with my hard goal of 3 workouts a week of about 20/30 min each, but I want to do one cardio/zumba, one toning/strengthening and one yoga.  I will probably do more, but the other days may be smaller things.

I will continue to measure every week.

Also, going to add a food goal.  My eating habits are decent, I don't drink a lot of soda, and I mostly eat balanced.  The one place I probably am weakest at is eating fruit.  Our groceries are horrid at selling good fruit, and I don't always remember canned fruit.  So, I am setting the goal of some kind of fruit at least 2x a week.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 12:30:56 pm »
Lots of us pagans (and non-pagans, too) want to be in better shape--because our path might regard the body as the ultimate temple, because it would allow us to better serve or honor our god(s), because we simply want to improve our health generally, or a host of other reasons--but our community seems too often to be heavy on the bookishness and light on the athleticism. Here's an attempt to rebalance that a bit.

No, we're not going to groom a horde of Schwarzeneggers (though if you're in that league, that's fine, too.) The idea is to use this thread as mutual encouragement to get us all to make incremental improvements in our fitness, no matter where we're starting from, and no matter what physical challenges we may face on a daily basis.

Here's how it works:

• Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.
  • Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.
  • Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

Shout out your goals here now, folks! No shaming, just tough love--as in "YOU set this goal; now we're going to see to it that you stick to it."

Along with the general "eat better so I can feel better," my goal is to lose about 15 pounds by mid-to-end-of May. Fiancé and I are going to the Caymans by then so I wanna be more comfortable with my body in a bikini. (there's no way in all the hells I'm wearing my usual tankinis to the damn Caribbean.)

I'm eating a salad for lunch right now, and weather depending I'm gonna start walking my dog for at least half an hour at least twice a week after work. It's starting to get nice out so it's more feasible.

Plus I just got my own motorcycle so that's a workout in and of itself to learn to ride it. Them shits is heavy!
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:17:38 pm »

1) Set your goal.

So I'm going to make a small step up from my Winter goal and aim for three 30min workouts a week. I want to start adding a time to it, to begin to work on that regularity, and see how my body reacts to that. I want to start working it a bit harder and more consistently, now that moving regularly is a Thing my brain wants to do.

I'm contemplating some sort of 'cut down on sugar' additional goal as well, but I'm going to have to think about how to make that measurable first before I commit to it.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 08:30:26 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;203453
Along with the general "eat better so I can feel better..."

Annnd I had half a freaking pizza for dinner last night. I need to quit my Pizza Hut job and just keep the pet store. There's no chance I'm gonna munch on hamsters while I'm working. -_- I have no self control.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:58:31 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203468
So I'm going to make a small step up from my Winter goal and aim for three 30min workouts a week. I want to start adding a time to it, to begin to work on that regularity, and see how my body reacts to that. I want to start working it a bit harder and more consistently, now that moving regularly is a Thing my brain wants to do.

I'm contemplating some sort of 'cut down on sugar' additional goal as well, but I'm going to have to think about how to make that measurable first before I commit to it.

Perhaps you can start by tracking how much sugar you are eating?  At least the big things like soda/sweets.  That would give you an idea of where you are getting the most sugar intake and you could start thinking about how you want to reduce it.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 12:59:16 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;203474
Annnd I had half a freaking pizza for dinner last night. I need to quit my Pizza Hut job and just keep the pet store. There's no chance I'm gonna munch on hamsters while I'm working. -_- I have no self control.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Awww that's hard, I would struggle there too.  Though I do like their salad, and a fair amount of veggie toppings (which isn't that much help...but a little).

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 06:57:07 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;203484
Awww that's hard, I would struggle there too.  Though I do like their salad, and a fair amount of veggie toppings (which isn't that much help...but a little).
Oh we get free unlimited salads as employees, but when a customer doesn't come pick their food up or it gets made wrong, we get to eat it rather than throw it out. And be honest, who would really rather have free salad when free pizza is right there, taunting you?

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:07:55 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;203483
Perhaps you can start by tracking how much sugar you are eating?  At least the big things like soda/sweets.  That would give you an idea of where you are getting the most sugar intake and you could start thinking about how you want to reduce it.

I'm mostly on top of this already, it's just finding the right way to tackle it. I'm not a cold turkey sort of person, and most of the iced coffee and coke I drink is 100% for the caffeine, particularly in hot weather, so. It's finding the right way to replace that caffeine source in a way that will still keep me hydrated at work, and caffeinated, and work within the limitations that has (a fridge, a kettle, no milk, that's it). That's the biggest problem.

The rest of it is mostly just added sugar to hot drinks and cereal, and maybe a few other things I don't eat/drink regularly. So yeah, it's just figuring out how to cut down on that in a way that works for me. I mean, someone else might just cut the caffeine entirely, but man, I need that to function, so. The caffeine can stay, but the sugar can go.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 08:25:56 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203502
I'm mostly on top of this already, it's just finding the right way to tackle it. I'm not a cold turkey sort of person, and most of the iced coffee and coke I drink is 100% for the caffeine, particularly in hot weather, so. It's finding the right way to replace that caffeine source in a way that will still keep me hydrated at work, and caffeinated, and work within the limitations that has (a fridge, a kettle, no milk, that's it). That's the biggest problem.

The rest of it is mostly just added sugar to hot drinks and cereal, and maybe a few other things I don't eat/drink regularly. So yeah, it's just figuring out how to cut down on that in a way that works for me. I mean, someone else might just cut the caffeine entirely, but man, I need that to function, so. The caffeine can stay, but the sugar can go.

You can check into tea, I know some black tea's have a decent amount of caffeine in them.  Or try using a bit less sweetener in your coffee?  (horrid I know, I love my morning coffee and I'm quite cranky when I don't put enough creamer in it to make it not bitter...but I think that if I slowly got used to it, then it wouldn't be so bad).

soda is harder, though I know a lot of people who do like the 0 sugar (but still caffeine) versions.  Hubby did them for a while.  If you have access to ice at work, try your sodas over ice, you'll probably end up drinking some of the water that way without noticing it as much.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:28:30 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;203494
Oh we get free unlimited salads as employees, but when a customer doesn't come pick their food up or it gets made wrong, we get to eat it rather than throw it out. And be honest, who would really rather have free salad when free pizza is right there, taunting you?

Oh I definitely agree, but that is one of the things I work with myself:  making sure I prioritize vegetables, which often means eating them first and making sure I eat a good amount and then I can eat the stuff I want to eat.  This also helps me to avoid my other big food issue which is overeating.  If I eat my salad/veg first, I'm already starting to fill up, and am less likely to overindulge with the main (heavy) parts of my meal.  And I feel less guilty if I do eat a little more, because the majority was healthy stuff.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 11:33:14 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;203508
You can check into tea, I know some black tea's have a decent amount of caffeine in them.  Or try using a bit less sweetener in your coffee?  (horrid I know, I love my morning coffee and I'm quite cranky when I don't put enough creamer in it to make it not bitter...but I think that if I slowly got used to it, then it wouldn't be so bad).

soda is harder, though I know a lot of people who do like the 0 sugar (but still caffeine) versions.  Hubby did them for a while.  If you have access to ice at work, try your sodas over ice, you'll probably end up drinking some of the water that way without noticing it as much.

The biggest problem with work is that our "kitchen" is not much bigger than a change room, and it also acts as the only store room our shop has. It has a tiny kitchen, and a kettle, and a tiny sink (with one tap that runs hot in summer and cold in winter), but that's it. I've been there for two years and the kitchen is rarely used. We have two lunch bars in our complex, so it's there, or those who live close by go home to eat. Some only do half-days as well, so this is less of a problem for them. I'm there all day. Because of this, the fridge is never stocked with anything, and I'm only there two days a week, so keeping milk there is not really useful. Otherwise I would make my own coffee. (I do drink tea, but I find I get a better caffeine hit from coffee.)

I've already gone down to one teaspoon of raw sugar in my hot drinks (this is how we do coffee in Australia), and on my cereal, so I can cut that down a little. I switched to raw sugar ages ago because it's not as highly processed as white sugar, and has more molasses in it. It also has a nicer taste. I don't do artificial sweeteners, so the diet/zero soft drinks are not an option. Plus, I don't really like the taste of them. If I could figure out a way to make iced coffee at work the way I make it at home (and can therefore control how much sugar I use), that would be ideal, but milk is the biggest issue, and I haven't figured out a good solution to that yet. I could buy iced coffee from the lunch bars, but I can't control the sugar content there.

If I didn't have such crappy shoulders, I might consider carrying a water bottle in, but it's just too heavy. I can't manage that weight, not while I'm catching public transport. Working on strengthening my shoulders is a long-term fitness goal, when I'm at a better fitness level than I am right now.

Honestly, I'm just waiting for the hot weather to be over, then I will buy all the hot coffees I can drink, and this won't be a problem. It's really just an issue when it's hot, when no one wants to drink hot coffee. So this might become easier as autumn kicks in and the cooler weather settles in.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 05:31:33 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203529
I don't do artificial sweeteners, so the diet/zero soft drinks are not an option. Plus, I don't really like the taste of them.

So this was me about 15 years ago. I couldn't stand diet drinks or artificial sweeteners of any sort. Eventually I finally accepted though that if I was going to lose weight and get healthy I either had to kick the soda out entirely or swap to diet. ("Don't Drink your calories" is one of the first and easiest steps I was given in eating healthier).

I will say that as someone who years ago thought I'd NEVER drink diet, the best way to start is to find a diet soda that makes you go "OK, I can at least tolerate this one". It most likely will NOT be a diet version of what you usually drink, because that will never taste right to you. In my case I gave up my Coca-cola for diet cranberry ginger ale and diet Dr. Pepper, so for a few weeks that was all I drank soda-wise. That time was what I needed to "reset" my taste buds and get them accustomed to the artificial sweeteners. I slowly started expanding on the diet sodas that I found acceptable, and now that's all I drink. I've even found now that after drinking diet for years, sugar soda is a little gross to me. The taste is fine, but it has this thicker, stickier mouthfeel that I find really unappealing now.

Also, the kind of sweetener matters. I still don't like drinks that use only aspartame, but those that use sucralose (aka Splenda) or a mix with aspartame and acesulfame potassium (this is in Coke Zero) taste OK to me.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 11:28:05 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;203552
So this was me about 15 years ago. I couldn't stand diet drinks or artificial sweeteners of any sort. Eventually I finally accepted though that if I was going to lose weight and get healthy I either had to kick the soda out entirely or swap to diet. ("Don't Drink your calories" is one of the first and easiest steps I was given in eating healthier).

I will say that as someone who years ago thought I'd NEVER drink diet, the best way to start is to find a diet soda that makes you go "OK, I can at least tolerate this one". It most likely will NOT be a diet version of what you usually drink, because that will never taste right to you. In my case I gave up my Coca-cola for diet cranberry ginger ale and diet Dr. Pepper, so for a few weeks that was all I drank soda-wise. That time was what I needed to "reset" my taste buds and get them accustomed to the artificial sweeteners. I slowly started expanding on the diet sodas that I found acceptable, and now that's all I drink. I've even found now that after drinking diet for years, sugar soda is a little gross to me. The taste is fine, but it has this thicker, stickier mouthfeel that I find really unappealing now.

Also, the kind of sweetener matters. I still don't like drinks that use only aspartame, but those that use sucralose (aka Splenda) or a mix with aspartame and acesulfame potassium (this is in Coke Zero) taste OK to me.

Honestly, even apart from the taste, I'm not convinced that switching to diet is actually a healthier option for me than regular sugar in the long run. Personally, I'd rather cut down the Coke to a bare minimum (because migraines!) than switch to diet.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 11:41:06 am »

Here's how it works:

and best of all

I'm a little late to the party, but I'd love to join! I have a couple of goals that I've been working on, and some accountability would be nice. :)

1) I want to be able to run a 5k again. I can get up to about a mile and a half now, so that's a reasonable goal for me now

2) I'd like to do 20 regular pushups at a clip. Currently I can do about 3, then I have to go to knee pushups

3) Limit beer/alcohol intake to weekends only. I tend to have a beer or two in the evening, which isn't doing me any favors.

I don't want to limit any other foods as I'm still breastfeeding, but if I could lose ten pounds in this process, that would be great.

Good luck to everyone!
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Tags: