collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017  (Read 9303 times)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2017, 11:33:06 am »
Quote from: MeadowRae;204073
Before I had my son I loved working out in the morning. It made me feel like I accomplished something early in the day. Now he wakes up before I do, which doesn't leave much time for exercise.

I figured I would do my weekly check in now.

My running time has improved, and I will be trying to add distance next week. I run during my lunch breaks now, so it doesn't allow for much time. If I get my son to daycare 20 minutes earlier I may be able to sneak a run in then.

I didn't have any beer this week! I have also started to cut out sugars from my diet. I also drink bulletproof coffee in the morning instead of eating starchy foods, which I believe is also helping me lose weight.

I have started adding some cross-training to my week. So I'll run three days a week and do an at-home exercise routine for two. I've decided the weekend is time to rest and enjoy. Otherwise I would definitely lose resolve.

So far, so good. Just gotta keep this up!

Great start!  Rest is definitely an important part of the process, not only to give you a mental break to also to help your body absorb all the work it's doing.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 07:45:25 am »
Quote from: Kylara;204115
Great start!  Rest is definitely an important part of the process, not only to give you a mental break to also to help your body absorb all the work it's doing.

OK! I'm finally ready to set my goals for this season. Due to my experience with the previous round, I've now learned that I have to be more conservative with my time during school. So, a goal in two parts:

Now to May 13th: Spend at least two hours each weekend doing something active, preferably working in my garden. Try to limit eating out to no more than one meal a week by making more things at home in the crock pot.

May 14th to June 21st: Start adding in weightlifting again, at least two times per week. Eat more veggies from the garden/farmers market and cut back on simple carbs (bread, rice, and pasta).

Both of these things are definitely doable in their respective time frames, so I should have no problem hitting those goals. Now time to disappear back into the abyss of studying!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 10:08:30 am »
Quote from: Noctua;204242
OK! I'm finally ready to set my goals for this season. Due to my experience with the previous round, I've now learned that I have to be more conservative with my time during school. So, a goal in two parts:

Now to May 13th: Spend at least two hours each weekend doing something active, preferably working in my garden. Try to limit eating out to no more than one meal a week by making more things at home in the crock pot.

May 14th to June 21st: Start adding in weightlifting again, at least two times per week. Eat more veggies from the garden/farmers market and cut back on simple carbs (bread, rice, and pasta).

Both of these things are definitely doable in their respective time frames, so I should have no problem hitting those goals. Now time to disappear back into the abyss of studying!

Awesome!  I love that you picked working in your garden as your weekend exercise (I've done garden work....it's definitely not a walk in the park...although a walk in the park is also exercise!)

Planning meals ahead (like in a crockpot) is definitely a great way to not only control what you are eating and eat healthier, but often cheaper than going out/ordering in.  I have about 3 days a week where I pretty much know meals have to be either made ahead (like a crockpot or casserole that just needs tossed in the oven) or we have to have leftovers.  This definitely takes a bit of planning ahead (and when I leave it up to hubby...we mostly end up going out or ordering in, which frustrates me a little)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 10:14:02 am »
Quote from: Altair;203437
Check in

Decent start to the challenge!  Got my three main workouts done (one each:  cardio, yoga and toning), and did another full day of good toning plus one day of a little bit of toning.  I'm also finding that I'm doing the odd exercise here and there while waiting on things to cook or what not (which amuses me no end).  I tried doing some while brushing my teeth one night..that wasn't working lol

I almost didn't get my fruit goals in...but then we bought some grapes, so I did eat grapes the last three days of last week.  Will definitely have to be more mindful in the shopping to keep fruit in the house (though I do have cans as well).  I know I need fruit to be easy and low fuss or I will be less likely to eat it.

Measure for this week:
Calf-  17.5
Thigh- 30
Hips- 50.5
Waist- 41
Bust- 44.5
Arm- 14

Two up by .5, one down by .5.  It's my menstrual time again this month though, so I'm not stressing that at all.  I'm also starting to notice differences in the mirror, which is nice (whether it's just me feeling better about myself because I'm being more active and therefor thinking I look more 'fit' or actually being able to see some changes...either way I'm enjoying it).

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 12:46:40 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;204248
Decent start to the challenge!  

I almost didn't get my fruit goals in...but then we bought some grapes, so I did eat grapes the last three days of last week.  Will definitely have to be more mindful in the shopping to keep fruit in the house (though I do have cans as well).  I know I need fruit to be easy and low fuss or I will be less likely to eat it.

Two up by .5, one down by .5.  It's my menstrual time again this month though, so I'm not stressing that at all.  I'm also starting to notice differences in the mirror, which is nice (whether it's just me feeling better about myself because I'm being more active and therefor thinking I look more 'fit' or actually being able to see some changes...either way I'm enjoying it).

Good job! I know I struggle to eat veggies enough during the week. It feels like a hassle to cook them. And it's my menstrual time right now, too. I'm glad I decided to run yesterday while the little one napped, because I am not getting a workout in today.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 07:17:32 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;204242

May 14th to June 21st: Start adding in weightlifting again, at least two times per week.

Weightlifting--yes! As a gym for 33 years, I approve. It does wonders to keep one youthful, one's bones strong, and one's body looking great (more muscle, less fat...and since muscle burns more calories just to maintain its existence, even less excess fat).

And I applaud you for applying what you learned from the last go round and setting smart goals.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 07:22:36 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203437
Check in

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm not ready yet. Between the start of my kitchen renovation completely disrupting my usual eating habits (too soon to say yet if it's for good or ill for my waistline; a lot of eating out, but also a lot of "I can't be bothered!" lighter eating of simple things)...

...and my hamstring only now beginning to feel nearly 100% and ready for me to return to running again...

...I just don't want to know what's going on with my midsection. If my belt notch is telling the truth, I'm holding steady, which is the goal.

But then, my world goes topsy-turvy when the spring songbird migration enters full swing in Central Park in about 3 weeks, and everything will be out the window. I'll do an official measurement before that happens, so I know my starting point.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:25 am »
Quote from: Altair;204283
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm not ready yet. Between the start of my kitchen renovation completely disrupting my usual eating habits (too soon to say yet if it's for good or ill for my waistline; a lot of eating out, but also a lot of "I can't be bothered!" lighter eating of simple things)...

...and my hamstring only now beginning to feel nearly 100% and ready for me to return to running again...

...I just don't want to know what's going on with my midsection. If my belt notch is telling the truth, I'm holding steady, which is the goal.

But then, my world goes topsy-turvy when the spring songbird migration enters full swing in Central Park in about 3 weeks, and everything will be out the window. I'll do an official measurement before that happens, so I know my starting point.

I'm glad your healing up...injuries always suck (and I know I tend to want to push them before I'm fully healed, so that last bit can be extra hard in different ways).

Do you do bird things or is it that so many other people do bird things that it disrupts you?

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 11:58:34 am »
Quote from: Altair;204282
Weightlifting--yes! As a gym for 33 years, I approve. It does wonders to keep one youthful, one's bones strong, and one's body looking great (more muscle, less fat...and since muscle burns more calories just to maintain its existence, even less excess fat).

And I applaud you for applying what you learned from the last go round and setting smart goals.

As someone who lost a good deal of weight in the past, I concur! I didn't start really losing the weight/shaping up until I added cross-training (strength training) to my routine. Plus running without strength training gave me a serious case of (pardon the term) pancake butt. LOL.

Also, I learned not to underestimate the potential of bodyweight exercises. At this point I can probably do just bodyweight exercise to get results. In three months or so I will likely need to invest in some weights. (Kettlebells, dumb bells, etc.)

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 05:37:12 am »
Alright! I'm going to do it! I've been wanting to for a while now and I keep telling myself I dont have the time nor the means but thats just excuses. I've been wanting to get back to Bootcamp and WOD for over a year now, it's time to bite the bullet and go do it...

Set your goal.

First off, I just want to be active again. With my divorce and crap I've been wallowing in self pity for too long. It's time to go out there and do something. Preferably something that will help me relief stress too. And what's better for that than a good power workout!
My weight isn't exactly my goal (cause I'll be doing lots of muscle building) but I do like to put it in here cause its what you will notice first. At the moment I weigh about 91kg, which is around 200lbs. I would like to go down to below 80 (176), but that's not reasonable, so I set my goal for June to 85kg which is 187lbs.

• Go to WOD or Bootcamp training once a week
  • Go from 200lbs to 187lbs

Can someone kick me in the ass if I don't reply back here? :ashamed:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:37:43 am by Vixen »
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2017, 09:01:46 am »
Quote from: Vixen;204413

• Go to WOD or Bootcamp training once a week
  • Go from 200lbs to 187lbs

Yay for biting the bullet and joining in!  And I didn't even see the little bit there at the end until I went to type a reply LOL

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 02:34:14 pm »

Set your goal.

First off, I just want to be active again. With my divorce and crap I've been wallowing in self pity for too long. It's time to go out there and do something. Preferably something that will help me relief stress too. And what's better for that than a good power workout!

I know how that goes...I left my ex last May and my divorce was finalized in January. It gets better. I think part of the reason that I want to get into shape is that I'm free to do so. I'd lost about 15-20 pounds before I got pregnant and he got all weird about it; like I was doing it to impress someone else...ugh.

Anywho. Check in time!

-I slipped up yesterday and drank some wine. :whis: I will skipping my "cheat night" tonight to make up for it.

-I ran and worked out like I had planned to, hoorah!

-I haven't lost any inches yet, but that's to be expected as it's only been two weeks.

-I've been incorporating more veggies in my diet

Keep up the good work, ya'll! :)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 06:41:16 pm »

A Reminder:
Hi, Vixen,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 09:43:46 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;203468
So I'm going to make a small step up from my Winter goal and aim for three 30min workouts a week. I want to start adding a time to it, to begin to work on that regularity, and see how my body reacts to that. I want to start working it a bit harder and more consistently, now that moving regularly is a Thing my brain wants to do.

I'm contemplating some sort of 'cut down on sugar' additional goal as well, but I'm going to have to think about how to make that measurable first before I commit to it.

I think it's fair to say I haven't had the best start to this challenge. I got a couple of workouts in, but then Tuesday happened, and it was so physically and emotionally draining (for this particular introvert anyway) that it's only now, on Saturday, that my body has stopped aching. I know, right? :/

So while I haven't done a proper workout in a week, I have been doing some stretching, though, and that's helped. And at least I should be able to get a workout done today. But yeah, I'm hoping next week is a little kinder to me and my poor body. D:
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2017, 11:29:25 am »
Quote from: MeadowRae;204474
I know how that goes...I left my ex last May and my divorce was finalized in January. It gets better. I think part of the reason that I want to get into shape is that I'm free to do so. I'd lost about 15-20 pounds before I got pregnant and he got all weird about it; like I was doing it to impress someone else...ugh.

Anywho. Check in time!

-I slipped up yesterday and drank some wine. :whis: I will skipping my "cheat night" tonight to make up for it.

-I ran and worked out like I had planned to, hoorah!

-I haven't lost any inches yet, but that's to be expected as it's only been two weeks.

-I've been incorporating more veggies in my diet

Keep up the good work, ya'll! :)

Good job!  I like how you adjusted for a slip too...and that you have cheat night planned in.  I always find that if I try to be too strict with no wiggle room that it is much easier for me to blow it all off, but if I have a bit of a safety net I feel like I can push through easier.

Tags: