+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    11 Apr 2017 @ 05:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017

Lots of us pagans (and non-pagans, too) want to be in better shape--because our path might regard the body as the ultimate temple, because it would allow us to better serve or honor our god(s), because we simply want to improve our health generally, or a host of other reasons--but our community seems too often to be heavy on the bookishness and light on the athleticism. Here's an attempt to rebalance that a bit.

No, we're not going to groom a horde of Schwarzeneggers (though if you're in that league, that's fine, too.) The idea is to use this thread as mutual encouragement to get us all to make incremental improvements in our fitness, no matter where we're starting from, and no matter what physical challenges we may face on a daily basis.

Here's how it works:

1) Set your goal. Things to consider when you do--
    • Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.
    • Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.
    • Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
    2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!

END DATE for this iteration of the Fitness Challenge: June 21, 2017.

(The summer solstice, about 3 months from now.)

Shout out your goals here now, folks! No shaming, just tough love--as in "YOU set this goal; now we're going to see to it that you stick to it."
    Last edited by Altair; 4 Mar 2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: fixed formatting

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Kylara will become famous soon enough Kylara's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Re: Fitness Challenge: Spring 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Set your goal
    I am going to keep with my hard goal of 3 workouts a week of about 20/30 min each, but I want to do one cardio/zumba, one toning/strengthening and one yoga. I will probably do more, but the other days may be smaller things.

I will continue to measure every week.

Also, going to add a food goal. My eating habits are decent, I don't drink a lot of soda, and I mostly eat balanced. The one place I probably am weakest at is eating fruit. Our groceries are horrid at selling good fruit, and I don't always remember canned fruit. So, I am setting the goal of some kind of fruit at least 2x a week.
    Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    missgraceless is on a distinguished road missgraceless's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic mix of beliefs with Buddhist leanings
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Lots of us pagans (and non-pagans, too) want to be in better shape--because our path might regard the body as the ultimate temple, because it would allow us to better serve or honor our god(s), because we simply want to improve our health generally, or a host of other reasons--but our community seems too often to be heavy on the bookishness and light on the athleticism. Here's an attempt to rebalance that a bit.

No, we're not going to groom a horde of Schwarzeneggers (though if you're in that league, that's fine, too.) The idea is to use this thread as mutual encouragement to get us all to make incremental improvements in our fitness, no matter where we're starting from, and no matter what physical challenges we may face on a daily basis.

Here's how it works:

1) Set your goal. Things to consider when you do--
    • Evaluate where you are now and what would be a good place for you, personally, to be fitness-wise.
    • Make sure the goal is achievable. If you've never done a pushup, don't set your goal as "bench press 300 pounds in the next 3 months," because then you're just setting yourself up to fail. Yes, it should be challenging--whatever that means for you--but give yourself a reasonable chance at success, so that when you win, you can build on that for the next goal, and the next.
    • Make sure the goal is measurable. No, not "feel better in the morning." Something like "lose 10 pounds and keep it off"...and guess what? If you achieve a measurable goal, odds are you'll feel better in the morning, too. (But maybe a little sore the first couple of mornings. In a good way.)
    2) Announce the goal in this thread to all us lovely people. We'll egg you on and keep you honest. Promise!

3) Check in to this thread regularly to let us know how you're doing. At least once a week, people!

and best of all

4) ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR SUCCESS!

END DATE for this iteration of the Fitness Challenge: June 21, 2017.

(The summer solstice, about 3 months from now.)

Shout out your goals here now, folks! No shaming, just tough love--as in "YOU set this goal; now we're going to see to it that you stick to it."
    Along with the general "eat better so I can feel better," my goal is to lose about 15 pounds by mid-to-end-of May. FiancÚ and I are going to the Caymans by then so I wanna be more comfortable with my body in a bikini. (there's no way in all the hells I'm wearing my usual tankinis to the damn Caribbean.)

I'm eating a salad for lunch right now, and weather depending I'm gonna start walking my dog for at least half an hour at least twice a week after work. It's starting to get nice out so it's more feasible.

Plus I just got my own motorcycle so that's a workout in and of itself to learn to ride it. Them shits is heavy!
    "Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." ~ Morticia Addams

Master Member

Achievements:
    Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Hem-Netjer; Witch; Polytheist; Scribe; Kemetic Monastic; Druid-In-Training (ADF)
    Pronouns
    xe/hir/xem

1) Set your goal.
    So I'm going to make a small step up from my Winter goal and aim for three 30min workouts a week. I want to start adding a time to it, to begin to work on that regularity, and see how my body reacts to that. I want to start working it a bit harder and more consistently, now that moving regularly is a Thing my brain wants to do.

I'm contemplating some sort of 'cut down on sugar' additional goal as well, but I'm going to have to think about how to make that measurable first before I commit to it.
    Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
    Dreamwidth Journal | Per Sebek: The House of Sebek
    Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by missgraceless View Post
    Along with the general "eat better so I can feel better..."
    Annnd I had half a freaking pizza for dinner last night. I need to quit my Pizza Hut job and just keep the pet store. There's no chance I'm gonna munch on hamsters while I'm working. -_- I have no self control.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    "Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." ~ Morticia Addams

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Sobekemiti View Post
    So I'm going to make a small step up from my Winter goal and aim for three 30min workouts a week. I want to start adding a time to it, to begin to work on that regularity, and see how my body reacts to that. I want to start working it a bit harder and more consistently, now that moving regularly is a Thing my brain wants to do.

I'm contemplating some sort of 'cut down on sugar' additional goal as well, but I'm going to have to think about how to make that measurable first before I commit to it.
    Perhaps you can start by tracking how much sugar you are eating? At least the big things like soda/sweets. That would give you an idea of where you are getting the most sugar intake and you could start thinking about how you want to reduce it.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by missgraceless View Post
    Annnd I had half a freaking pizza for dinner last night. I need to quit my Pizza Hut job and just keep the pet store. There's no chance I'm gonna munch on hamsters while I'm working. -_- I have no self control.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    Awww that's hard, I would struggle there too. Though I do like their salad, and a fair amount of veggie toppings (which isn't that much help...but a little).

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Kylara View Post
    Awww that's hard, I would struggle there too. Though I do like their salad, and a fair amount of veggie toppings (which isn't that much help...but a little).
    Oh we get free unlimited salads as employees, but when a customer doesn't come pick their food up or it gets made wrong, we get to eat it rather than throw it out. And be honest, who would really rather have free salad when free pizza is right there, taunting you?

Master Member

Achievements:
    Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Hem-Netjer; Witch; Polytheist; Scribe; Kemetic Monastic; Druid-In-Training (ADF)
    Pronouns
    xe/hir/xem

Quote Originally Posted by Kylara View Post
    Perhaps you can start by tracking how much sugar you are eating? At least the big things like soda/sweets. That would give you an idea of where you are getting the most sugar intake and you could start thinking about how you want to reduce it.
    I'm mostly on top of this already, it's just finding the right way to tackle it. I'm not a cold turkey sort of person, and most of the iced coffee and coke I drink is 100% for the caffeine, particularly in hot weather, so. It's finding the right way to replace that caffeine source in a way that will still keep me hydrated at work, and caffeinated, and work within the limitations that has (a fridge, a kettle, no milk, that's it). That's the biggest problem.

The rest of it is mostly just added sugar to hot drinks and cereal, and maybe a few other things I don't eat/drink regularly. So yeah, it's just figuring out how to cut down on that in a way that works for me. I mean, someone else might just cut the caffeine entirely, but man, I need that to function, so. The caffeine can stay, but the sugar can go.
    Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
    Dreamwidth Journal | Per Sebek: The House of Sebek
    Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Sobekemiti View Post
    I'm mostly on top of this already, it's just finding the right way to tackle it. I'm not a cold turkey sort of person, and most of the iced coffee and coke I drink is 100% for the caffeine, particularly in hot weather, so. It's finding the right way to replace that caffeine source in a way that will still keep me hydrated at work, and caffeinated, and work within the limitations that has (a fridge, a kettle, no milk, that's it). That's the biggest problem.

The rest of it is mostly just added sugar to hot drinks and cereal, and maybe a few other things I don't eat/drink regularly. So yeah, it's just figuring out how to cut down on that in a way that works for me. I mean, someone else might just cut the caffeine entirely, but man, I need that to function, so. The caffeine can stay, but the sugar can go.
    You can check into tea, I know some black tea's have a decent amount of caffeine in them. Or try using a bit less sweetener in your coffee? (horrid I know, I love my morning coffee and I'm quite cranky when I don't put enough creamer in it to make it not bitter...but I think that if I slowly got used to it, then it wouldn't be so bad).

soda is harder, though I know a lot of people who do like the 0 sugar (but still caffeine) versions. Hubby did them for a while. If you have access to ice at work, try your sodas over ice, you'll probably end up drinking some of the water that way without noticing it as much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast