"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Beyond the basic  (Read 2968 times)

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Beyond the basic
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:58:52 am »
I've already started building a relationship with the spirits, ancestors, and my recently deceased family for a good couple of years now. My extended family practices "folk magic" which they don't talk about but in short stories my mother would blab once in a blue moon. I try to pick things up but a lot of it is mixed with Christianity. I am not a christian.

But beyond the looking at genealogy, giving offerings, altar placement, and daily prayers, are there other practices that are a bit, can't think of another word, a step-up beyond the basics?

What I mean is, when we talk to our family alive and have a connection, we really don't need to try to hard because family is family. I don't have that type of connection with living family; so, it's hard to understand what that means to go beyond setting up foundations to know about my spiritual family. I feel that when I learn about my spiritual family and more intensely experience how they help me, I can get more of a sense of what live is about.

The spirits help, especially those of our environment-sun, moon, wind, etc but I feel I'm ready for something more intense.

I visited a shop where I met a couple of Santeras there. If the religion wasn't so expensive, I would learn more about it. I got a divination reading and was told to make a relationship with my ancestors first as I don't need divination through a Babalow or Santera to build a relationship with them first.

I can write a novel about my experiences and questions. Have you guys realized you "got it" and ready to go to that next step?

I am not interested in European religions, but are there other pagan religions or practices that are ancestral oriented?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:01:43 am by unveiledartist »

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Beyond the basic
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:23:35 pm »
Quote from: unveiledartist;203391
I visited a shop where I met a couple of Santeras there. If the religion wasn't so expensive, I would learn more about it.

I don't think I have any suggestions (the Orthodox do have services and offerings for the departed, but I doubt you'd be interested in those), but ^that bit^ piqued my curiosity. What does Santeria need that makes it extra expensive?
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:33:15 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;203392
I don't think I have any suggestions (the Orthodox do have services and offerings for the departed, but I doubt you'd be interested in those), but ^that bit^ piqued my curiosity. What does Santeria need that makes it extra expensive?

Werid. I thought I replied to you. I havent gone to Mass in awhile but wouldnt change the experience for the world. Was catholic only four years of my asult life and still learned a lot.

Isnt there a Mass devoted to the departed?

Its expensive because you pay for the animals, ekeles (concreted neckles of he differing orishs), statues, food, and upkeep for ceremonies and rituals.

I dont know if you got my last post. You can message me. Im still learning what to post on here.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:29:24 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;203392

Beside what unveiledartist mentioned, a lot of the Afro-Diaspora rituals rely on drummers or other ritualists being present and active for multiple days of rituals, which often precludes having other jobs, so the costs of the ritual actually include things like 'to have these drummers available, they need to make enough from the big rituals we do to support them the rest of the time so they're available for these rituals we need them for.'

(In modern Christianity, church musicians may have a full time job in big parishes or congregations. But it's also really common for it to be a part time job that can most of the time be fit around a full time job doing something else and with occasional careful timing of vacation days when it can't, or a job that involves doing music in some other format - accompanist for rehearsals at other organizations, teaching piano or organ or singing, doing weddings, etc. Different economics.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:04:08 am »
Quote from: Jenett;203402
Beside what unveiledartist mentioned, a lot of the Afro-Diaspora rituals rely on drummers or other ritualists being present and active for multiple days of rituals, which often precludes having other jobs, so the costs of the ritual actually include things like 'to have these drummers available, they need to make enough from the big rituals we do to support them the rest of the time so they're available for these rituals we need them for.'

Yes. Also, in America, I was told, is a lot more expensive and harder to find isolated spaces for ceremonies. One Santera said she goes to either Africa or her native country, I can't remember which spanish country, to get a lot of the items needed.

I'm not called by the Orishas right now but if that befalls me, I'd get another reading and go from there.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 12:41:55 pm »
Quote from: unveiledartist;203399
Werid. I thought I replied to you. I havent gone to Mass in awhile but wouldnt change the experience for the world. Was catholic only four years of my asult life and still learned a lot.

Isnt there a Mass devoted to the departed?

We don't call it that, but yes, there are memorial services conducted both at set times after a death and on anniversaries, even many years later (texts), usually accompanied by kollyva offerings.

Don't worry about the glitch, gump happens. :)

Its expensive because you pay for the animals, ekeles (concreted neckles of he differing orishs), statues, food, and upkeep for ceremonies and rituals.

That makes sense. I take it that Santeria is geared a lot more towards group ritual, rather than solitary.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:43:04 pm by Chatelaine »
~St Augustine~

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 12:51:16 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;203411
We don't call it that, but yes, there are memorial services conducted both at set times after a death and on anniversaries, even many years later (texts), usually accompanied by kollyva offerings.

Don't worry about the glitch, gump happens. :)

That makes sense. I take it that Santeria is geared a lot more towards group ritual, rather than solitary.

That's beautiful. I didn't know that. Is it in Roman Catholic Churches too?

Santeria isn't a solitary faith. It's highly based on divination and initiation. One needs a god parent (like a sponsor) to help throughout the initiate's journey. I was told a lot of people don't become Santeras because of the expense.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 02:27:50 pm »
Quote from: unveiledartist;203412
That's beautiful. I didn't know that. Is it in Roman Catholic Churches too?

I'm not familiar with Catholic practices, so I may be wrong, but I found this that looks similar.
~St Augustine~

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 03:27:11 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;203415
I'm not familiar with Catholic practices, so I may be wrong, but I found this that looks similar.

I was thinkin' Othorodox is similar to Roman Catholic?

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 03:37:46 pm »
Quote from: unveiledartist;203417
I was thinkin' Othorodox is similar to Roman Catholic?

There are certainly a lot of similarities; after all, they were one for about a millennium. Still, both doctrine and practice have drifted apart quite a lot over the second millennium.
~St Augustine~

Tags: