Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: A Deity You Don't Want?  (Read 1642 times)

deesaster

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
A Deity You Don't Want?
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:35:34 pm »
Hi. Not sure if this should be here or in maybe the practices/worship section but I have a small problem -- there's a deity present and influencing me that I don't want to be influenced by. I'm already pretty set with one and we have a good relationship going.

This other -- Dionysus -- approached me uninvited and unasked about two years ago and while I don't think he means badly, he's a little more chaotic an entity than I'd like and things since then have been pretty unstable. I tried a few times to see if it was maybe just an attempt to test or challenge me but it's continually affected me and my mental health and many of my relationships. There's a conflict of interest, or whatever it is he intends is not something I feel ready for. Plus, it's negating a lot of the influence of my chosen deity.

A friend says there's no rule saying you HAVE to accept everything they offer, especially if it's affecting you negatively. I'm more than willing to say "No, thank you" but I'm worried that with an entity this chaotic, it may not lead to any changes. Does anyone have any experience with refusing a deity? Or otherwise lessening their influence? I don't want to be rude -- just clear and firm.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: A Deity You Don't Want?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 06:29:23 pm »
Quote from: deesaster;203380

A friend says there's no rule saying you HAVE to accept everything they offer, especially if it's affecting you negatively. I'm more than willing to say "No, thank you" but I'm worried that with an entity this chaotic, it may not lead to any changes. Does anyone have any experience with refusing a deity? Or otherwise lessening their influence? I don't want to be rude -- just clear and firm.

Not directly myself, but have worked with several people in group settings while they were doing this.

First, a relationship with a deity is like a relationship with a human in a lot of ways. You are allowed - and in many cases, deities actively want you - to be clear about your desires and boundaries.

Some options include a firm hard "Thank you, but no." Clear and firm should be fine with a reasonable deity (though see the note below) In many cases, a clear boundary will get them to stop (though they may try things you haven't explicitly declined yet.)

If you're okay with some kinds of interactions, but want them in a much more manageable proportion, some deities (like some people) are responsive to "If you'd like contact with me, I'll make time once a month/do ritual once a quarter/whatever time frame makes sense that honours you, and the rest of the time, give me my space, please."

That said, one of the things to be really careful about here is accurate identification. Dionysus is not one of the major deities I do work with, but your description of the pushiness and chaos factor, in particular, seems a little weird to me. If you identified this being based on info not from that being, it's possible there's a misidentification here. (And well, there are beings - tricksters in particular - who will let you make assumptions that are wrong because it amuses them.)

Dionysus is about pushing boundaries, in several directions, but generally more for either people who've invited that, or who have broken agreements that affect him.

If the being you're dealing with isn't him - and specifically if it isn't a deity, but some other kind of spirit or being - you may need or want to take other steps to handle this (like cleansing, protection, and related workings, as well as closely examining what's happened, and what the direct and indirect cause are.)

Divinatory work or something similar (done by yourself, or possibly by someone with a close relationship with Dionysus) might be a good idea as well.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:33 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;203382
That said, one of the things to be really careful about here is accurate identification. [...] (And well, there are beings - tricksters in particular - who will let you make assumptions that are wrong because it amuses them.)

IMO, the more truly malevolent the being, the more likely he is to attempt to appear to be someone he's not. [Can you say, "Old Scratch?" I knew you could....]
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:44:57 pm »
Quote from: deesaster;203380
Hi. Not sure if this should be here or in maybe the practices/worship section but I have a small problem -- there's a deity present and influencing me that I don't want to be influenced by. I'm already pretty set with one and we have a good relationship going.

This other -- Dionysus -- approached me uninvited and unasked about two years ago and while I don't think he means badly, he's a little more chaotic an entity than I'd like and things since then have been pretty unstable. I tried a few times to see if it was maybe just an attempt to test or challenge me but it's continually affected me and my mental health and many of my relationships. There's a conflict of interest, or whatever it is he intends is not something I feel ready for. Plus, it's negating a lot of the influence of my chosen deity.

Say "no, thank you." Even if it's scary. Personally, I've only ever seen gods stay where they're not wanted if the person with the issues is secretly enjoying the drama. ("I'm so important that Deity X is ruining my life! ...so none of it's my fault...")

I'll second Jenett here and say if it doesn't bugger off after you've said no, you may want to consider basic banishing and cleansing methods. Hell, do those anyway, they're good for you.

Jake57

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:46:11 pm »
Quote from: Emma Eldritch;203457
Say "no, thank you." Even if it's scary. Personally, I've only ever seen gods stay where they're not wanted if the person with the issues is secretly enjoying the drama. ("I'm so important that Deity X is ruining my life! ...so none of it's my fault...")

I'll second Jenett here and say if it doesn't bugger off after you've said no, you may want to consider basic banishing and cleansing methods. Hell, do those anyway, they're good for you.

I had an experience with the Morrigan, and I found her energy to be way too strong for me, even though I was fascinated by her presence and started to respond to her.  I ended up saying no thanks but let her know I respected her greatly.  I still think she is around me, but unless and until I can make a commitment, I maintain that respect and go on my way.

Tags: