Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Resources on Relationships with Venus  (Read 1727 times)

LunarRainbow

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Resources on Relationships with Venus
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:06:29 pm »
Hey there. I was looking around, and I can't really find much about the Goddess Venus. Well, I mean other than the basic mythology. I was hoping that some people here might be able to direct me to some sources which focus more on the personal interation and relationship with the Goddess.

I've been looking around, and even after going through all of the various irrelevant stuffs (Venus and even Aphrodite are mused sooooo much for other stuff. xD), I can't find much of that sort of stuff, and hoped that a Pagan thread might be a better filtered source.

It is important though, to mention that I am only looking for Venus. Sources on Aphrodite can certainly be helpful, but I am, for the moment, really only looking at Venus, and the Roman conception of the Goddess.

Siannan13

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • la-grotte-sacree
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Resources on Relationships with Venus
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 01:53:16 pm »
Hey there. I was looking around, and I can't really find much about the Goddess Venus. Well, I mean other than the basic mythology. I was hoping that some people here might be able to direct me to some sources which focus more on the personal interation and relationship with the Goddess.

I am looking for the same thing.
I found this article and wonder what others with experience with Venus think about it : http://lases.blogspot.com/2014/04/about-venus-nudity.html

Zlote Jablko

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Slavic/ PIE Recon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 10:22:50 pm »

I've been looking around, and even after going through all of the various irrelevant stuffs (Venus and even Aphrodite are mused sooooo much for other stuff. xD), I can't find much of that sort of stuff, and hoped that a Pagan thread might be a better filtered source.

It is important though, to mention that I am only looking for Venus. Sources on Aphrodite can certainly be helpful, but I am, for the moment, really only looking at Venus, and the Roman conception of the Goddess.

Unfortunately, you’ll find it very difficult to reconstruct the Roman mythology of pre-Greek influence. By the time we have written records of Venus, she is very much associated with Aphrodite. Some of her titles like “lucky Venus” and “Indulgent Venus” May add a bit of perspective to her nature.

In many cases, she simply seems to have been the personification of desire. Her name simply means “desire” and is distantly related to English “want” and Sanskrit “vanas.” However, she may have had stronger fertility functions than Aphrodite, as evidenced by her association with the fall wine festival Vinalia Rustica.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:39:20 am »
Unfortunately, you’ll find it very difficult to reconstruct the Roman mythology of pre-Greek influence. By the time we have written records of Venus, she is very much associated with Aphrodite. Some of her titles like “lucky Venus” and “Indulgent Venus” May add a bit of perspective to her nature.

In many cases, she simply seems to have been the personification of desire. Her name simply means “desire” and is distantly related to English “want” and Sanskrit “vanas.” However, she may have had stronger fertility functions than Aphrodite, as evidenced by her association with the fall wine festival Vinalia Rustica.

It's worth noting that in addition to any pre-Greek roots Venus may have had, the Romans also developed her differently after the syncretism. Some of this had to do with Mars being very different from Ares--yet the Romans associated them as consorts even more strongly than the Greeks did Ares and Aphrodite (who was also variously linked by myth and cult to Hephaistos, Dionysos, and Hermes). Thus, with Mars being the lawful patron of Roman society much more than a wild war god, Venus became a kind of mother to Roman civilization. While some regional variants of Aphrodite may have had maternal associations, this was essentially a new role for Venus.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: