So I’ve recently been a little fixated on the following article (http://odroerirjournal.com/pantheon-what-pantheon/) which, very briefly, questions the extent to which the “Norse Pantheon” as articulated in the Eddas is an accurate representation of how historical Heathens saw their Gods and the relationships among them.

I find this an interesting question because it seems to me that the way a particular culture understands its pantheon of deities is something which is in constant flux. To the extent that this is true, I wonder how this affects the way a particular persons comprehends and works with the deities in their specific tradition. I suspect that cultures which have a (relatively) high level of literacy and/or political unity, a professional religious class, and denser populations (such as Greco-Roman, South Asian, and Chinese cultures) may have a greater degree of pan-cultural coherence in the way in which a pantheon is understood than in cultures (such as temperate European ones) which are lacking some of the above mentioned factors.
What I want to know is (and these are questions perhaps most relevant to people who practice a particular reconstructed or unbroken type of polytheism though others are welcome to answer);

- How did the pantheon of deities which you worship develop historically? To what extent does this pantheon exhibit regional or temporal variation?
- How does any uncertainty which arises from this variation affect your personal practice? (For example, I am a bit reluctant to address Thor and Tyr as the “sons” of Odin because I tend to think this concept may not have been particularly widespread and/or developed in the post-conversion period).