Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Can You ID this Crystal?  (Read 1694 times)

Blu3Wanderer

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Can You ID this Crystal?
« on: February 25, 2017, 02:05:18 pm »
I didn't find another forum label to put this under, but please move it if there's a better sub-category!
My partner and I found this gorgeous knife while hiking today, but I'd love to know what this handle is made of! Absolutely beautiful. I'm wondering if it's amazonite or a fluorite variation. Thanks and blessings in advance!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Can You ID this Crystal?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:40:11 pm »
Quote from: Blu3Wanderer;203240
I didn't find another forum label to put this under, but please move it if there's a better sub-category!
My partner and I found this gorgeous knife while hiking today, but I'd love to know what this handle is made of! Absolutely beautiful. I'm wondering if it's amazonite or a fluorite variation. Thanks and blessings in advance!

Lovely knife.  Looks like carbon steel, so it's probably rather old.

If the stone in person has an iridescent glint to it, then my guess is that it is a variety of moonstone or possibly a light labradorite.

If it does not, then there's a few possibilities. I'm not convinced about it being amazonite as color tone and depth is wrong (tho it could just be poor quality). It's not fluorite for reasons I can't articulate well other than to say it's not glassy enough.

I'm tentatively leaning to aventurine. Would it be possible for you to take some pictures of the stone in strong light or sunlight? At an angle, preferably, to avoid glare and to get a feel for the color depth and cleavage planes.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Daecon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:43:42 pm »
Quote from: Blu3Wanderer;203240

My partner and I found this gorgeous knife while hiking today, but I'd love to know what this handle is made of! Absolutely beautiful. I'm wondering if it's amazonite or a fluorite variation.

Try to scratch glass with it.  If you can, it's probably some kind of quartz. probably agate.

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:09:06 am »
Quote from: Daecon;203471
Try to scratch glass with it.  If you can, it's probably some kind of quartz. probably agate.

It has too many fractures to be agate. I have seen similar fracture patterns on white marble. Could the green on the stone be age?

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:52:40 pm »
Quote from: Shewhoseeks;203480
It has too many fractures to be agate. I have seen similar fracture patterns on white marble. Could the green on the stone be age?

Coloration isn't consistent with stained marble. And the appearance of the stone itself isn't consistent with marble...too crystalline.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Shewhoseeks

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 05:43:21 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;203488
Coloration isn't consistent with stained marble. And the appearance of the stone itself isn't consistent with marble...too crystalline.

There are actually marble types which are more crystalline than what is used for construction but anyway - do these Beads hit it?
[attach=CONFIG][/attach]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:44:26 pm by Shewhoseeks »

Tags: