Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Witches To Place A Spell On President Trump  (Read 3516 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Witches To Place A Spell On President Trump
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:19:10 pm »
Double, double, Donald's in trouble: Witches including Lana Del Rey will gather at midnight to cast a spell on President Trump AND his supporters in hopes of banishing him from office

I know that President Trump is not exactly popular here, but I voted for him and I consider myself one of his supporters, albeit not a vociferous one.

I note that in Proverbs 26:2 my scriptures record that, "...a curse without cause shall not alight." I will leave it to God to judge whether or not there is cause for this curse to alight. However, from what I have seen, I believe that somewhere under all the bluster...perhaps far under, but present...there is a man who honestly wants to do the best that he can for this nation and its people. I am praying that that man will receive the help, guidance, and support which he needs to accomplish that.

If you disagree, I am not wishing a curse upon anyone. But I am praying that those who play with fire would get singed sufficiently to teach them to consider carefully in future. And if by so praying I include myself...so be it.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Witches To Place A Spell On President Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:28:26 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;203222
Double, double, Donald's in trouble: Witches including Lana Del Rey will gather at midnight to cast a spell on President Trump AND his supporters in hopes of banishing him from office

I know that President Trump is not exactly popular here, but I voted for him and I consider myself one of his supporters, albeit not a vociferous one.

I note that in Proverbs 26:2 my scriptures record that, "...a curse without cause shall not alight." I will leave it to God to judge whether or not there is cause for this curse to alight. However, from what I have seen, I believe that somewhere under all the bluster...perhaps far under, but present...there is a man who honestly wants to do the best that he can for this nation and its people. I am praying that that man will receive the help, guidance, and support which he needs to accomplish that.

If you disagree, I am not wishing a curse upon anyone. But I am praying that those who play with fire would get singed sufficiently to teach them to consider carefully in future. And if by so praying I include myself...so be it.

I don't generally subscribe to magic, but from what I can see here, this is not a curse. It's a binding, so that Trump can do no harm, and a banishing, to try to get him out of office. A curse would seek to inflict some harm on him.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:31:00 pm »

Reading further down the article, I see that they do quote several witches and pagans who do not endorse such a spell and state that it is likely to rebound upon the practitioners. Good for them.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:33:55 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203224
A curse would seek to inflict some harm on him.

So noted.
--------Eric H. Bowen

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:16:18 pm »
Quote from: Altair;203224
I don't generally subscribe to magic, but from what I can see here, this is not a curse. It's a binding, so that Trump can do no harm, and a banishing, to try to get him out of office. A curse would seek to inflict some harm on him.
Yeah, I don't think it's a well-written piece of magic, but if someone is against Trump not being able to harm people... Well there's a long history of political prayer that's pro-harm so you're in good company. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 12:27:57 am »
Quote from: Jack;203227
Yeah, I don't think it's a well-written piece of magic

They might have better luck with a LBRP.

(lesser banishing ritual of the p*ssygrabber)
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 10:09:21 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;203231
They might have better luck with a LBRP.

(lesser banishing ritual of the p*ssygrabber)

Hah.  Or something else with less atrociously twee text but since when have current-day pagans as a collective known thing two about poetry?

(I mean, they can handle Lumpty Lumpty Lumpty Lime, Bumpty Rumpty Humpty Rhyme, which is thing one.  But thing two would be nice.)

Thing two about poetry, thing one about opsec... maybe one or two things about structuring one's magic effectively so as not to do something that will accomplish precisely nothing, dramatically.  Though now I'm wondering how many people worked out how to harvest all that ineffectual energy and do something with it.

(Friend of mine's reaction to this thing was roughly, "Oh, right, amateur hour.  Or maybe an art project?")
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:46:12 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;203234
Hah.  Or something else with less atrociously twee text but since when have current-day pagans as a collective known thing two about poetry?

(I mean, they can handle Lumpty Lumpty Lumpty Lime, Bumpty Rumpty Humpty Rhyme, which is thing one.  But thing two would be nice.)

Thing two about poetry, thing one about opsec... maybe one or two things about structuring one's magic effectively so as not to do something that will accomplish precisely nothing, dramatically.  Though now I'm wondering how many people worked out how to harvest all that ineffectual energy and do something with it.

(Friend of mine's reaction to this thing was roughly, "Oh, right, amateur hour.  Or maybe an art project?")

I already know that the publicity of this act already has people "praying" against them, so honestly, even if has power, there's already people who clearly wish to act against it in a metaphysical sense because they're under some illusion that the creep in chief actually will make this country better.

Personally, there are far more subtle ways to deal with this dangerous political quagmire that we've been put into. I would rather protect the people he is harming than curse him directly imho if I was to engage in magical warfare with these people and make it so they harm themselves when they go after them. That way they reap what they sow.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 01:01:33 pm »

It's a terribly crafted binding spell, the person who wrote the article I originally saw floating around about it talked about "karmic consequences" and how they wouldn't be "as severe" because it's a binding spell and not a curse, and basically didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it came to witchcraft. (I didn't read the Daily Mail article in full, just skimmed to see if it was the same spell I've seen going around.)

No one intent on casting it seems to be critically engaging with this spell at all, letting "It's anti-Trump!" be the litmus test for whether or not it's worth doing.

Not only is it very poorly crafted and has the potential not only to bind the practitioner's energies with Trump, but also to hit innocent bystanders with its super vagueness, but it also comes from an anonymous person and everyone is just trusting it. Oh yes, of course this poorly crafted binding spell that could go sideways is from someone who is on our side! There is NO WAY this is a trap!

I'm not saying this is definitely a trap, I'm just concerned with the complete lack of critical engagement with this spell, including the inability to even consider that there might be magic practitioners out there who are actually pro-Trump. The reactions have either been "This is awesome, let's do it," "Witchcraft isn't real of course but this is great protest art!" or "You are evil and horrible and basically the same as a Nazi if you do this because hexing is always bad."

That last one is HILARIOUS, considering it's not even a hex and the original article had a definite tone of "hexing is bad, mmmkay, but binding is okay and won't hurt you because intent is magic!" which is just so, so wrong, but yeah, ok, let's say a binding is the same as a hex! Words don't mean things at all!

Actually in this case what would be safer for practitioners would be to actually hex Trump, not cast this shoddy, shoddy binding on him, that likely won't do anything to *him* at all anyway.

"Yes, let's bind our own energies to Trump AND the Tower tarot card! What could POSSIBLY go wrong?"
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 01:25:24 pm »
Quote from: Morag;203237
It's a terribly crafted binding spell, the person who wrote the article I originally saw floating around about it talked about "karmic consequences" and how they wouldn't be "as severe" because it's a binding spell and not a curse, and basically didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it came to witchcraft.

"Yes, let's bind our own energies to Trump AND the Tower tarot card! What could POSSIBLY go wrong?"

That's doubleplus ungood. At least the way I envision these things, that's likely to make the practitioner liable for a binding AND a curse... plus probably at least an order of magnitude penalty for intentionally being cute.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
--------Eric H. Bowen

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 03:28:07 pm »

One of the special Lenten prayers of the Orthodox Church goes: 'Add hardships to them, Lord, add hardships to the glorious of the earth.'

No naming names, no pointing fingers, only a petition to the Lord of Lords to stand between the impiety of the powerful and those who would be harmed by it, prayed by millions of people.

No one will go up in a puff of sulphur (the Boss is subtler than that), but everyone engaged in resistance of oppression, in this or any other regime, becomes one of those hardships.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Zin Aeon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://broomclosetjournals.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 04:20:04 pm »
"Oh, right, amateur hour.  Or maybe an art project?")

This made me snortgiggle and was the best thing I read about this yet!

Also rather describes my own thoughts on the matter.

RaeBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 04:38:17 pm »

My issue with the comments isn't so much the posters moral stances. If they don't want to curse/bind/whatever some one that is their choice. But, it seems like a lot of them seem to forget the Wiccan Rede applies to well, Wiccans. I've seen the same replies on various facebook groups where this has been posted. I've got nothing against some one living by the rede, but it seems like a vocal percent of the pagan community feels like we all should.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:42:49 pm by Allaya »

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 08:07:52 am »

Actually, I've come around to thinking this is absolutely brilliant.

Why? Take a look at these reactions from the religious right:

Pat Robertson: Stop Witches From Cursing Donald Trump

American Family Association: Christians Must Go To “Spiritual War” Against The Witches Cursing Trump

In effect, intentionally or not, the folks who announced this spell borrowed a page from Trump's playbook and deployed it against him: Say something outrageous/inflammatory and let it drive your opponents to distraction, while the real work of undermining their agenda can continue with less notice.

Excellent work. Well done!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:08:50 am by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: