Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Pantheon  (Read 891 times)

minus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Pantheon
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:34 pm »
When choosing a particular path, is it necessary to honor every god/godess within a pantheon or is it acceptable to work with a select few?

Also, when I've chosen a pantheon, in my case celtic (irish) how do I go about choosing who to work with ? and How do I begin the process of contacting that particular god/godess?

Minus

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:16:36 pm »
Quote from: minus;203020
When choosing a particular path, is it necessary to honor every god/godess within a pantheon or is it acceptable to work with a select few?

Also, when I've chosen a pantheon, in my case celtic (irish) how do I go about choosing who to work with ? and How do I begin the process of contacting that particular god/godess?

Minus

Honoring every god/goddess in a pantheon would be a practical impossibility, IMO.

As far as picking which ones to work with, I'd do some reading and research and find out which ones resonate with you, then maybe do some meditations/prayers/other related activities associated with that god/dess to see if it seems like a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:35:20 pm »

Minus

Depends how you're approaching this. Historically for example the Greeks and Romans had a set pantheon and state religion, which differed from peoples like the Celts whose deities were more local and tribal.

For you personally, is there a need you feel to where you have to honour all of the Irish (or the ones we know of) gods, or are there particular ones, or one, you feel drawn too?
Semper Fidelis

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:38:13 pm »

A pantheon is basically a family or extended social group.  In any given such, there will be a few one is closer to, a few one doesn't get on with, but if you're dealing with the family, there will be circumstances where one deals with the family.  The upside of this is that if you have a problem that isn't in your local associates' wheelhouse, they can say, "I got a cousin/uncle/grandmother who can fix that up for you, go be nice and tell 'em I sent you."

Most people venerate the gods that are relevant to their lives - their work, their particular troubles, their circumstances.  A student might want to honor gods of learning, a person dealing with household matters might find a hearth god, a doctor a god of healing - or someone with chronic health concerns a god of healing.  What are your life concerns?  Which gods deal with them?

Contacting gods is mystical practice, in a lot of ways.  Many people just set up shrines or make offerings as they deem appropriate.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

minus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:17:45 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I don't feel I need to honor the entire pantheon, I just feel that  if I didn't , I would be angering the ones who i didn't.

Who would be the most approachable to start off with?

Minus

Quote from: Micheál;203025
Depends how you're approaching this. Historically for example the Greeks and Romans had a set pantheon and state religion, which differed from peoples like the Celts whose deities were more local and tribal.

For you personally, is there a need you feel to where you have to honour all of the Irish (or the ones we know of) gods, or are there particular ones, or one, you feel drawn too?

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:40:04 pm »
Quote from: minus;203035
Thanks for your reply. I don't feel I need to honor the entire pantheon, I just feel that  if I didn't , I would be angering the ones who i didn't.

Minus

The Celtic gods have never struck me as jealous, so I don't think you're going to make anybody angry by not honoring them specifically.

I've personally found Brigid highly accessible, and the sea god Llyr has always seemed friendly, although I've only done some minor honoring and offerings. He has a sea urchin representing him on my altar. (Llyr is Welsh, but Manann mac Lir is, essentially, his Irish son, and people definitely honor him.)

I picked the deities I did based on where I live. I live between the forest and the sea, so I chose Llyr and Gwynn ap Nudd (the Welsh relation of Cernunnos or Herne). Brigid rounds out the trio for the hearth and home, while Cerridwen supports my magical practice at certain times. Celtic deities tend to be location-based. I'd think about what resonates with you. Read through the list of Irish deities on Wikipedia and if one or three jump out as having characteristics that you find appealing, dig deeper.

I've always found Lugh an accessible figure.
I don't honor him specifically, but he always struck me as seeming friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:00:28 pm »
Quote from: minus;203035

Minus

No probs!

Well it's a different worldview to what many who have been brought up around, Abrahammic religions for example, may have. The gods aren't usually conceived as demanding worship, or getting angry for lack of worship. Perhaps reading some of the legends will familiarise yourself more on how their characters appear in mythology, and that might help getting things started...just one suggestion though
Semper Fidelis

Tags: