Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics  (Read 125831 times)

caelestisraven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/
Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:30:27 pm »
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but this forum looked like a good catch all for everyone. Please forgive me if I was wrong.

I am in the middle of moving. Everything I own is packed up and will be being unpacked in my new place over the next week or two. My new apartment is much larger then my current one & so I am hoping to make some extra room for my altar & redesign it as more then a small shelf lol.

I would love some inspiration & ideas. So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

This was my altar from forever ago:

& this was my latest:

As you can see totally empty & simple lol. I can't wait to have more space lol
♥ I walk in the shadow of the moon, I dance to the pulse of the earth. ♥

My Blog..¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/ ›●‹

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:50:46 pm »
Quote from: caelestisraven;1045
So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

Here's my Dionysos shrine.  It's pretty simple.  The statue is kinda ubiquitous, but I fell in love with it.  The artwork is my favorite part - all original pieces from several artists that I know.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:52:35 pm by Thorn »
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:01:16 am »

I would love some inspiration & ideas. So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

I think mine would be more "creative" than beautiful. To start with, it's a piece of plywood superglued to beer bottles. It's not set up as it usually is right now because I was using it to launch fireworks from and it's now a scorched piece of plywood. Maybe a bit strange, but at least I can say it's unique. Also, I think it's rather fitting. I'll have to get pictures of it sometime. Might even have some pictures with the fireworks on it.

arkeiryn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 05:01:59 am »
I am in the middle of moving. Everything I own is packed up and will be being unpacked in my new place over the next week or two.

I read this and wondered whether you were my pagan house-mate (who doesn't know that I'm exploring paganism too :P). She's just moved in to the house we're sharing, and I'll be moving in in two week's time. And then I realised that your altar looks nothing like hers :P

This was my altar from forever ago:

& this was my latest:

I love the second one, it's simplicity is beautiful in my opinion :D

Unfortunately, I'm still very new to this, so I have no pictures of an altar to offer myself ;)
"That which yields is not always weak."

"Yes my lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers"

Nitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:34:20 am »
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but this forum looked like a good catch all for everyone. Please forgive me if I was wrong.

I am in the middle of moving. Everything I own is packed up and will be being unpacked in my new place over the next week or two. My new apartment is much larger then my current one & so I am hoping to make some extra room for my altar & redesign it as more then a small shelf lol.

I've been working on my own space, so far it's just an old end table with a big drawer in it and an empty fish tank.

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:19:49 am »
Quote from: Nitz;1238
I've been working on my own space, so far it's just an old end table with a big drawer in it and an empty fish tank.

LOL mine is the top of a tv stand, the two shelves have my cable box and dvds.  It's the main altar since that's where the family spends most of our time. (Family room).  It also is used as a seasonal altar too.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 11:42:25 am »
Quote from: Waterfall;1230
I think mine would be more "creative" than beautiful. To start with, it's a piece of plywood superglued to beer bottles. It's not set up as it usually is right now because I was using it to launch fireworks from and it's now a scorched piece of plywood.

That is all kinds of awesome. :D
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:34 am »

I keep mine in a glass cabnet, I should get it all put together and take a picture to post up here. Most of my altar is consisting of rocks and feathers.

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 01:16:40 pm »
Quote from: Wood Rose;1349
I keep mine in a glass cabnet, I should get it all put together and take a picture to post up here. Most of my altar is consisting of rocks and feathers.

I have yet to build or make mine...I have this electric fireplace in my room I might turn it into if there was not:
A. Tv on top of it.
B. More space (Can be fixed with a piece of plywood though I would imagine.)

It is presently sitting in a bay window space...so It actually fits the bill of an alter circle but it to is not big enough...and I'm not a builder so I cant fix that part.

I'll get around to it...I still have tons to learn.
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Harzgeist

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:50:23 pm »
Quote from: Chakabe;1387
I have yet to build or make mine...I have this electric fireplace in my room I might turn it into if there was not:
A. Tv on top of it.
B. More space (Can be fixed with a piece of plywood though I would imagine.)

Sorry to spam the thread, but I kept reading "eclectic fireplace" and it greatly amused me. So I thought I'd share :D
give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:35:53 pm »
Quote from: Harzgeist;1531
Sorry to spam the thread, but I kept reading "eclectic fireplace" and it greatly amused me. So I thought I'd share :D

it is rather an oxymoron lol. Either way it is niffty...does not replace a real one though. nothing like the wood crackling while I sleep.
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 03:41:12 am »

Heh, mine is of the 'little money, less room' variety. It's set up on the corner of an old dressing table I have shoved into the corner of the room to use as a desk. I have postcards of Hecate and Brighid blu-tacked to the walls, with a rock salt tealight holder between them, which I replace with a jar candle (not necessarily the particular fragrance, although it is a favourite) for Cill shifts. That's all. I share the room with a toddler, and I can't afford to have trinkets lying around that will draw his attention.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:41:56 am by Chatelaine »
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Rahni

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:11 pm »
Quote from: Harzgeist;1531

Bwahahahaha. Thats AWESOME.

Mine is on top of my dresser drawers, it has a world map on it, an empty vase with a bird and pink/green ribbon, a worry stone...a dish for incense, an old used Seattles Best coffee can to burn it in, sea salt, used white votive candles, a candle holder...its a giant mess. Need to coordinate it.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 04:02:56 am »
So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely.

Here's the one we set up in the HPriestess's garden for Midsummer.

Obviously not a permanent one, so here's an old one that I had in one of my old places

I now just have an altar in our spare room just with the general Working Tools that I add stuff to depending on working. I also have a statue of An-Mhór-Ríoghain on top of my dresser, where I also keep an offering bowl, incense, triskelion, silver Harp, and a few items I've received in initiations. I also put a few jewellery items there wen not wearing them.

Also, since these altars are fairly modern influenced, and because pre-Christian Celtic altars were in natural settings, and most(but not all) of their deity statues come from areas that came under Roman control to coincide with state-politics(they thought it humorous of the Greeks to have status of their deities in anthropomorphic form at the sacking of Delphi) , I have an outdoor shrine in the garden for offerings in a flowerbed with a stone I lifted from Eamhain Mhacha, or else I just visit sacred sites.
Semper Fidelis

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 02:36:02 am »
Quote from: Micheál;6422

If I ever get around to cleaning my room I might use my dresser as an alter... its has a mirror and quite a bit of space. As well I don't use it so the drawers can be reworked to hold all ritual items.

Not to mention I have two porcelain statues I can use to represent the god / goddess that were given to me by my grandfather. Now to find the rest of the items needed for an alter set up.
InnerWalden <-- New site  

Tags: