collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics  (Read 126763 times)

Typhonian

• View Profile
Re: Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2016, 09:37:11 pm »

Shrine for Set, who is on top, Anubis, and then Ra and Anhur.
Religious blog: Typhonian.
[/U]

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #346 on: October 30, 2016, 02:37:18 pm »
Quote from: Typhonian;198294

Shrine for Set, who is on top, Anubis, and then Ra and Anhur.

My kitchen shrine for Brighid. I haven't set up the main shrine in the bedroom yet because we're not finished unpacking yet.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 31, 2016, 11:45:04 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;198325

My kitchen shrine for Brighid. I haven't set up the main shrine in the bedroom yet because we're not finished unpacking yet.

A couple of pics of my ancestor shrine, I bought it downstairs because I am doing Samhainy things with friends later.

Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Oskar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: he, him, his
« Reply #348 on: January 16, 2017, 04:15:32 am »
Quote from: Sarah;198381
A couple of pics of my ancestor shrine, I bought it downstairs because I am doing Samhainy things with friends later.

A long time coming but here is my Altar:

The three cats represent my Mum's Scottish side as they were bought in New Zealand where she grew up after coming from Scotland..Oh and I love cats lol. The three skiing medals were my Grandfather's - the German side. I don't burn oil in the ceramic oil burner I just use it to represent the hearth flame.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 04, 2017, 07:20:42 pm »
Quote from: Oskar;201479
A long time coming but here is my Altar:

So I've totally revamped my altar. It's still a work in progress and I'll probably never be able to leave it alone, but this is much more conducive to what my practice currently looks like:

On our left we have Bast (for my cats), my feeble attempt at a polymer sculpture of Gwynn ap Nudd, and Cerridwen, and a sea urchin shell to represent Llyr. The tree in the frame is the World Tree/Tree of Life. In the middle is a bowl for incense, a bowl of water, and a teeny offering bowl that currently holds salt. The candle I use for daily rememberance and offering to the gods.

The little book is a gift from a friend and is currently just there to look cool; eventually it'll probably have some sort of ritual purpose.

On the right is a crèche with a little rosary my priest gave me hanging from it to honor the Christianish bits of my practice.

The altar cloth is a scarf I've never worn much because it's too thin, but I really like it for its current purpose. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2017, 07:22:05 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;202323
So I've totally revamped my altar. It's still a work in progress and I'll probably never be able to leave it alone, but this is much more conducive to what my practice currently looks like:

On our left we have Bast (for my cats), my feeble attempt at a polymer sculpture of Gwynn ap Nudd, and Cerridwen, and a sea urchin shell to represent Llyr. The tree in the frame is the World Tree/Tree of Life. In the middle is a bowl for incense, a bowl of water, and a teeny offering bowl that currently holds salt. The candle I use for daily rememberance and offering to the gods.

The little book is a gift from a friend and is currently just there to look cool; eventually it'll probably have some sort of ritual purpose.

On the right is a crèche with a little rosary my priest gave me hanging from it to honor the Christianish bits of my practice.

The altar cloth is a scarf I've never worn much because it's too thin, but I really like it for its current purpose. :)

Oh, and on the shelf below I keep my incense herbs, charcoal, Tarot decks, prayer book and Bible, and clay I use to make any candle holders/figures/ritual items I need in a hurry.

Typhonian

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2017, 08:32:41 pm »
Quote from: caelestisraven;1045
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but this forum looked like a good catch all for everyone. Please forgive me if I was wrong.

I am in the middle of moving. Everything I own is packed up and will be being unpacked in my new place over the next week or two. My new apartment is much larger then my current one & so I am hoping to make some extra room for my altar & redesign it as more then a small shelf lol.

I would love some inspiration & ideas. So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

This was my altar from forever ago:

& this was my latest:

As you can see totally empty & simple lol. I can't wait to have more space lol

Shrine update:
Religious blog: Typhonian.
[/U]

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2017, 03:52:56 am »

I posted this in another topic and Sunflower nudged me to remind me of this one. So I'll repost it here too. ;)

I have finally been able to erect a shrine to my Lord. It is smack in the middle of my living room on a large dressoir. I walk past it when I move to my usual sitting place on the couch. When I'm in my reading chair its directly in my line of sight.

Hanging from the stick, from left to right:
A braided cord made from horsehair from my own horse and a piece of string I found in the barn attached to a walnut from the tree in the backyard. I was wanting to use it as a pendulum but it's too rigid, so I put it up on the shrine. Next is a very old key I found hanging on a nail in the barn. I don't know what its for but its part of the history of the house. I keep it at my shrine to honour the house. On the right, and it might be difficult to see, are two necklaces with stones. I hang them from the stick to recharge when I'm not wearing them. One is an amethyst, the other an aragonite. With that is a little antler replica I bought at Christmas. Apparently antlers were hot this year so I stacked up one some as they represent my Lord to me.

The cup on the right is an old tin cup that I inherited from my grandfather. He was a hunter and the cup depicts a deerhunt. I find it very fitting for a shrine dedicated to Cernunos. I use it to keep stones and bits I pick up on walks.

The two Buddha's holding up most of the sticks and stuff were a housewarming gift from a friend of mine. In the crook of the left Buddha's arm is a tiny Buddha statue I've been given for my birthday with the explicit wish of the giftgiver to bring me good fortune and good health. I'm not a Buddhist but I am open minded and Buddha's given as a gift are said to bring good luck.

All the flowers and sticks and things have been found in the woods and fields surrounding my house. I love the area I live in, it's full of wildlife and it reminds me every day of my Lord and my connection to nature.

Surrounding the shrine are items that are dear to me.
The plate on the wall is a poem my great grandfather wrote. When my mother and her siblings went through my great grandfathers belongings after his passing they found a note with this poem folded up and tucked away underneath a drawer. It's about daring to live and be free. My mom had it printed on an aluminium plate to put up on the wall as a Christmas gift.
On the left are the Valentines day card and my Happy Birthday card I got from my loved one over seas. It's the only solid proof I have of his existence. They're precious to me so they're up on the dressoir.
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2017, 05:04:57 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;147351
And that day is now, since I have finally finished my room, and got my shrines set up. There's far too many photos to post here, but I've got all of them posted over here at my blog, in case anyone's interested to see how it all turned out.

Well, apparently it's been three years or so since I last posted a shrine update in here. That's embarrassing. A lot has changed since I posted last, and I did a full tl;dr post about my shrines over at Per Sebek only last week, in case anyone wants the full rundown of all the shrines I keep in my tiny room. If you want a sense of how all that fits together, .

I did, however, want to post a couple of photos of shrines that have changed since I made that post a week ago. Because that is my life, apparently. They are cosmetic changes, for the most part, but it's distinct enough for me to want to post about it here and show them off.

The Main Shrine

This is where I do my main devotional work. It's ... big. It takes up a lot of space. The table has become my witchy altar, or at the very least, it's the practical work surface for the shrine above. My morning devotions are done on the middle shrine, whereas most of Hekate's work is done on the altar below.

I've spent this month doing self-transformation magickal work for the #domagick challenge, and a lot of that has involved decluttering, and working through what's really important to my shrine space. So I've developed even more of a minimalist bent when it comes to shrine stuff, because really, the only tools on that bottom altar are my knife, my bell, the incense burner, the pentacle, and the books. Like, that's it. I really don't need a lot to do my craft.

Masrai's Shrine

So, Masrai's shrine is the result of fictional polytheism coming to life in ways I didn't expect, because this is the danger of being a fiction writer who writes about the gods. So now I'm tending to it in the morning when I do my Sobek and Heru devotions. Explaining all of that is not really for this thread in particular, but I do plan to write on that some more, since it's looking like it might become bigger than I was expecting it to be.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 07, 2017, 08:51:38 pm »
Quote from: Vixen;204234
I posted this in another topic and Sunflower nudged me to remind me of this one. So I'll repost it here too. ;)

HA! Same!

So here's my update:

Obviously, I luv me some candles. Lately I've been burning through enough candles to make it worthwhile to buy stock in a paraffin company between devotional, vigil, and spellwork. To the far left is my little Brigid shrine; she's on my larger altar right now since I feel like the various entities and spells I'm working with could use each other's energy right now. Usually she hangs out on my bedside table.

The three middle candles are just general "keeping light on my altar" candles; they burn most of the time when I'm home. The one to the left is a vigil candle for my ancestors, and the water with the blue beads is also for ancestor veneration (that's a developing practice; I'm sure it'll change.

I've been exploring working with saints more; they tie my pagan practice and my Christian practice rather neatly together, so I have St. Brigid and also St. Patrick. The crèche is special; I bought that in Arizona on a trip with my parents; the small wood rosary was made by my priest and given to me as a gift.

The tree is of course the tree of life. The little book is blank; I occasionally use a sheet of its paper for spellwork and will probably eventually use it to record prayers and rituals.

This little shrine is actually a working spell altar for a very specific purpose; I'm using it for ongoing spellwork and candle vigil for a friend going through a rough time. St. Michael is his confirmation Saint (he's a lapsed Catholic) and the bottom image is a bear, since he has an affinity for bears. The tall candle is just for general "light in the darkness", while the little stubby guy is part of an active spell I'm working.

Shankara

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2017, 10:32:53 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;204752
HA! Same!

And I'll add my picture of the outdoor shrine here. It's hidden in a wilderness area which is very close to the suburbs, but the construction has passed it by. Since it takes a good hour to reach the shrine, I don't get to visit it often. I leave it bare so anyone can use it, although it was dedicated to Babalon and the ten manifestations of Kali. I still remember the night last fall I consecrated it. I heard the owls hooting in the distance. The trail back was lit by glow worms.
Any way, here are some pictures of the outdoor shrine:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:01:52 am by SunflowerP »

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2017, 10:33:57 pm »
Quote from: Shankara;204756
HA! Same!

And I'll add my picture of the outdoor shrine here. It's hidden in a wilderness area which is very close to the suburbs, but the construction has passed it by. Since it takes a good hour to reach the shrine, I don't get to visit it often. I leave it bare so anyone can use it, although it was dedicated to Babalon and the ten manifestations of Kali. I still remember the night last fall I consecrated it. I heard the owls hooting in the distance. The trail back was lit by glow worms.

I looooove this. One of my goals in life is an outdoor area I can use for regular work.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:02:29 am by SunflowerP »

MadeiraDarling

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 08, 2017, 02:11:30 am »
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but this forum looked like a good catch all for everyone. Please forgive me if I was wrong.

I would love some inspiration & ideas. So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

This is my altar (I've changed it up a bit since I took this picture, putting my icon of the Virgin Mary (which I use to represent the unnatural mother) next to The Plastic Venus and having them hold hands.

NightSpook

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:26 am »
Quote from: Shankara;204756

Absolutely stunning. I would love to have an outdoor shrine/altar.

NightSpook

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 19, 2017, 01:30:00 am »
Quote from: NightSpook;205079
Absolutely stunning. I would love to have an outdoor shrine/altar.

So I decided to attach a pic to show you all my altar. :)

Tags: