Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics  (Read 126500 times)

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 05:35:29 pm »
Quote from: FizzyCat;15960
I just realized that it looks like the frog is nuzzling the alligator/crocodile head (yeah, I don't know the difference either).

I believe crocs have rounded snouts and alligators have pointed. My memory leaves me sometimes though so don't quote me on it lol.

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 05:48:54 pm »
Quote from: Shawnee;16001
I believe crocs have rounded snouts and alligators have pointed. My memory leaves me sometimes though so don't quote me on it lol.

Actually, you have that backwards.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 08:06:45 pm »
Quote from: Lecia Hale;16003

Thanks for straightening that out. You would think as much as I watch Discovery/Science channel I could remember.

I think I'm a bit like Kelly Bundy. A new thing goes in one ear and an old thing goes out the other. ;)

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 06:37:47 am »
Quote from: caelestisraven;1045
I would love some inspiration & ideas. So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

I just re-did my altar & shrine for autumn, and I took some pictures for a friend, so here they are!

My shrine for Brighid (the cloth is a deep brown-red, hard to tell here, and the biggest candle is tan, not the weird purple colour it looks here)

Two pictures of my altar, decked out for autumn.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:41:35 am by Liadine (dragonflyeyes) »
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 05:36:45 pm »
Quote from: buttercup;15948
I love this one!!! Is that a crocodile head or an alligator head?  I can never remember which has the more rounded snout!

It's an alligator snout. Alligators have the round snout. And thank you! I'm actually working on a new altar now that I've moved into an apartment.

Solarowna

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 07:30:12 pm »
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but this forum looked like a good catch all for everyone. Please forgive me if I was wrong.

I am in the middle of moving. Everything I own is packed up and will be being unpacked in my new place over the next week or two. My new apartment is much larger then my current one & so I am hoping to make some extra room for my altar & redesign it as more then a small shelf lol.

I would love some inspiration & ideas. So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

This was my altar from forever ago:

& this was my latest:

As you can see totally empty & simple lol. I can't wait to have more space lol

Mine is hardly used yet, and is still subject to change based on which path I do decide to follow:

Obviously the candles are close to a wall, so I have to be careful. There is no other place for the altar right now. Thankfully, they are not actually as close to the wall as they appear in the picture. They are a good two inches away at least :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:31:22 pm by Solarowna »

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:54 pm »
Quote from: Solarowna;17695

I actually have a basic setup made. I'll post pics some time. Of course it is the top of my dresser as I figured I would put it. So far it is just comprised of things I had around the house. Though I dont think steak knives make good atheme's But I have two teracota statues that I got a few years ago from my grand father when he was in world war two on a trip to Japan. I use those in symbolism of the God / Goddess. With a small candle next to each. A glass cup of water and a bowl of salt

I'll post it up some time :)
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Lykaios

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aspacetoexist.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 08:49:23 pm »
So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

I finally got a proper Naos-type cabinet to keep my shrine and alter in:

I put it out in the living room so it is accessible and feels more like the center of the home. I also like having the huge picture window right by it. I'm on the top floor of my building and I have three big trees right outside, so you get a kind of "tree house" feel when the shade is up. I also use that smaller table to the side as an extension of the altar when I need more space for something. Inside, the top shelf of the cabinet is the actual shrine and the bottom shelf is the altar. The smaller blue shrine at the back of the altar opens to reveal the ancestor shrine. I keep all of my supplies and religious artifacts in the bottom drawers of the cabinet.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the candles have lots of open space above them, so even though they are in the cabinet, it is safe to light them as long as the doors are open and someone is keeping an eye on them.
Known elsewhere as Aeshna and/or Iakhu-Itui (Iakhu)
Religious Blog: Chaos Gilded Gold

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 01:06:51 am »
Quote from: GreentreeTarot;13780
I actually got around to cleaning mine off and moving it to a new home yesterday.. just some inspiration for you!

That slender, dark object on the left...is it a wand? Looks interesting.

buttercup

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »
Quote from: Zeno;17671
It's an alligator snout. Alligators have the round snout. And thank you! I'm actually working on a new altar now that I've moved into an apartment.

You're welcome! Happy making a new altar!

buttercup

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »
Quote from: Shawnee;16020
Thanks for straightening that out. You would think as much as I watch Discovery/Science channel I could remember.

I think I'm a bit like Kelly Bundy. A new thing goes in one ear and an old thing goes out the other. ;)

Quote from: Lecia Hale;16003
Thanks to the both of you for the info!!! And I hear you on the Kelly Bundy thing, good reference by the way, one of my fave. shows!

buttercup

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 02:04:24 pm »

& this was my latest:

As you can see totally empty & simple lol. I can't wait to have more space lol

Sometimes simple is best. I personally need to pare down my altar!!! I had to take it down though because of my living conditions, so it has become a put up, take down as needed altar! :(  But I've had everything from like the big shells like what you have, to a ton of crystals for various effects, to animal bones, to the usual tools.  An altar can be as elaborate or simple as you need or want it to be.  I've even set up an altar on an milk crate with a cloth over it to hide the crate. Ghetto but effective!  It doesn't matter where you set it up or what you set it up on, so long as the intent to worship and do spells is there!  I've even heard of people who have multiple altars setting up on shelves or book cases. It's up to you, really! And I think I like your newer altar better, not to say the other one isn't pretty but this one seems more open!

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »
if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

This is my altar. It's a little busy, but what can I say, it make me happy!

ALTAR
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 10:37:13 pm »
Quote from: sephira;23977
This is my altar. It's a little busy, but what can I say, it make me happy!

ALTAR

I would really love to see and/or hear about more people's altar. I find them fascinating and inspirational.
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

Jinji

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 08:26:51 am »
I'm really enjoying reading this thread. I love all the ideas! I just moved and finally have room for an altar, so now I need to decide how I'm going to set it up. At least I've got a wooden chest to hold extra items for it, anyway. :) I'm thinking my first altar is going to be a fall-theme one. I'll finally have a reason to get a little pumpkin!

Tags: