collapse

Author Topic: Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics  (Read 126581 times)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Altar & Shrine inspiration & pics
« Reply #330 on: May 07, 2016, 07:52:51 pm »
Quote from: njsquarebear;190821
I like how you 're-purposed' the old makeup box... I imagine that it would work very well for a (larger) traveling altar for an extended vacation somewhere... or if one needed to pack your altar up relatively quickly at home when a relative (unfriendly to the craft or Paganism) is coming to visit!

Thank you!

It was originally my travel all-purpose altar, and the reason it became Aphrodite's is because that's what I used to pack up the religious stuff for our wedding ceremony (and it was part of the altar for the ceremony), and since we went through major renovations during and after the wedding (our house flooded the week before), all that stuff has been just sitting in it since October. I finally am able to set up things again, so I decided that the make up box could now just be Her shrine. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 08, 2016, 11:52:25 am »
Quote from: caelestisraven;1045
...If anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

Attached are pictures of my MAIN working altar-shrine.  This is my first try at doing this, so it will definitely be a work in progress! (I took these pictures at least a month ago, so already I've done some adjusting by removing things and moving other things around so the altar is easier to practice my path at).

For starters, I am a practicing a Celtic Druidic "Christo"-Pagan.  (My path is a work in progress, as my altar is!)  Politcally, I hate the things Christianity and many "Christians" have done in the past and present in Jesus' name, but still find some beauty and meaning in the faith I've been raised in for 57 years.  Two year ago I felt myself drawn to both Irish culture, mythology, paganism and Celtic Christianity (what is known in all these areas) and have decided to follow a blended path that venerates a God(dess), Jesus, Mother Mary, Mary Magdalene, and Sophia (Divine Wisdom).  I 'do' plan to incorporate Irish Gods and Goddesses, once I figure out which I'm called to follow (or s/he calls to me!) so that's why there is no imagery representing any of them on my altar at present.

This altar-shrine is also in my Dining Room.  It dominates the East-facing side of the room (by chance).  It is on a rugged sideboard which is 4-1/2' long and 17" wide.  It had a shelf [not shown] below which holds other offering plates, candle holders, magickal and spiritual supplies.

Like most of us the vast majority of items on my altar have been either things I've collected over the years for mundane purposes and now put to spiritual use.  Or gifts given to me or my late partner over the years... or by other dear friends.  Or that I found in yard/rummage sales.  I think the only thing I've bought in the photo is the Tarot deck! LOL

Given my background in fashion jewelry and other accessories, I've tried to coordinate a color scheme which at the moment is shades of green/purple/pink which many of the objects seem to be, starting with the flowered brocade altar cloth... on top of the riser is a draped purple silk shawl which a friend made.  It's screened with silhouettes of people from the Middle-Ages.

On the LEFT side is a frosted Rose glass candle-holder (rummage sale); hand-blown '1000 shades of green' paperweight (bequeathed to me by my mother); stained-glass Celtic cross (gift); pottery Christian Communion plate and chalice (gift from my small group which I've facilitated for many years); and a handmade, lacquered Illuminated Manuscripts collage box (created by a dear friend who tragically succumbed to mental illness several years ago).  This will contain any small magickal items/instruments which I don't wish to lose by my very mischievous black cat!)

In the CENTER is my ADF altar proper with my "World Tree" (actually it's a dracaena plant, only 1 of 2 plants in the house I've not managed to kill! LOL); an old silver-plated "Well"; and a blown glass "World Egg" (again my mother's).  Also in front is an Irish Tara china offering bowl (solid offerings) and chalice (liquid offerings) which are part of a much larger China set which was my late partner's.  [Not shown: votive candles in the rear.]

On the RIGHT side is an old antique brass plate holding a 'Book of Kells' candle (sometimes I light incense on it); green Depression-glass plate holding my Tarot cards and a vase (w/o flowers at the moment); an antique Lefton's "Holly" offering bowl (gift); and finally a Cloisonne bell (mother's) which I use to start and end my worship/meditation periods.

ABOVE the altar-shrine is a matted-framed gold rubbing made from some old stone in Ireland (I think).  It shows the Madonna and child, along with some ladies-in-waiting and has a very medieval feel to it.  (My late partner bought it and hung it back in 1998 and I've not gotten around to finding a more appropriate piece of artwork(s) to hang in its place.  It does fit the altar to some degree, which is ok for the time being, as it's not distracting.  What I 'do' especially like is that there is a 40watt picture light above it which provides enough light, along with the 4 or so candles I light.

I hope to get around to doing some significant changes for SUMMER SOLSTICE or LUGHNASADH by adding more natural / handmade items, as at present it's a little too 'high church' sterile IMHO.
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 08, 2016, 07:31:23 pm »
Quote from: njsquarebear;192429
Attached are pictures of my MAIN working altar-shrine.  This is my first try at doing this, so it will definitely be a work in progress! (I took these pictures at least a month ago, so already I've done some adjusting by removing things and moving other things around so the altar is easier to practice my path at).

For starters, I am a practicing a Celtic Druidic "Christo"-Pagan.  (My path is a work in progress, as my altar is!)  Politcally, I hate the things Christianity and many "Christians" have done in the past and present in Jesus' name, but still find some beauty and meaning in the faith I've been raised in for 57 years.  Two year ago I felt myself drawn to both Irish culture, mythology, paganism and Celtic Christianity (what is known in all these areas) and have decided to follow a blended path that venerates a God(dess), Jesus, Mother Mary, Mary Magdalene, and Sophia (Divine Wisdom).  I 'do' plan to incorporate Irish Gods and Goddesses, once I figure out which I'm called to follow (or s/he calls to me!) so that's why there is no imagery representing any of them on my altar at present.

This altar-shrine is also in my Dining Room.  It dominates the East-facing side of the room (by chance).  It is on a rugged sideboard which is 4-1/2' long and 17" wide.  It had a shelf [not shown] below which holds other offering plates, candle holders, magickal and spiritual supplies.

Like most of us the vast majority of items on my altar have been either things I've collected over the years for mundane purposes and now put to spiritual use.  Or gifts given to me or my late partner over the years... or by other dear friends.  Or that I found in yard/rummage sales.  I think the only thing I've bought in the photo is the Tarot deck! LOL

Given my background in fashion jewelry and other accessories, I've tried to coordinate a color scheme which at the moment is shades of green/purple/pink which many of the objects seem to be, starting with the flowered brocade altar cloth... on top of the riser is a draped purple silk shawl which a friend made.  It's screened with silhouettes of people from the Middle-Ages.

On the LEFT side is a frosted Rose glass candle-holder (rummage sale); hand-blown '1000 shades of green' paperweight (bequeathed to me by my mother); stained-glass Celtic cross (gift); pottery Christian Communion plate and chalice (gift from my small group which I've facilitated for many years); and a handmade, lacquered Illuminated Manuscripts collage box (created by a dear friend who tragically succumbed to mental illness several years ago).  This will contain any small magickal items/instruments which I don't wish to lose by my very mischievous black cat!)

In the CENTER is my ADF altar proper with my "World Tree" (actually it's a dracaena plant, only 1 of 2 plants in the house I've not managed to kill! LOL); an old silver-plated "Well"; and a blown glass "World Egg" (again my mother's).  Also in front is an Irish Tara china offering bowl (solid offerings) and chalice (liquid offerings) which are part of a much larger China set which was my late partner's.  [Not shown: votive candles in the rear.]

On the RIGHT side is an old antique brass plate holding a 'Book of Kells' candle (sometimes I light incense on it); green Depression-glass plate holding my Tarot cards and a vase (w/o flowers at the moment); an antique Lefton's "Holly" offering bowl (gift); and finally a Cloisonne bell (mother's) which I use to start and end my worship/meditation periods.

ABOVE the altar-shrine is a matted-framed gold rubbing made from some old stone in Ireland (I think).  It shows the Madonna and child, along with some ladies-in-waiting and has a very medieval feel to it.  (My late partner bought it and hung it back in 1998 and I've not gotten around to finding a more appropriate piece of artwork(s) to hang in its place.  It does fit the altar to some degree, which is ok for the time being, as it's not distracting.  What I 'do' especially like is that there is a 40watt picture light above it which provides enough light, along with the 4 or so candles I light.

I hope to get around to doing some significant changes for SUMMER SOLSTICE or LUGHNASADH by adding more natural / handmade items, as at present it's a little too 'high church' sterile IMHO.

Your altar is beautiful! As soon as my incense bowl arrives I'll have to post pictures of mine; I'm following a similar-ish path and feel about the same about my Christianity--highly frustrated with the church of my growing-up years but still attracted to Christ himself and attracted to Celtic paganism and Druidry.

I love how cohesive your altar is. It really has a very sacred feel to it.

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 08, 2016, 08:48:58 pm »
Quote from: njsquarebear;192429

Brian, this is stunning! Aesthetically pleasing, meaningful and powerful.

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 09, 2016, 06:44:38 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;192437
I'm following a similar-ish path and feel about the same about my Christianity--highly frustrated with the church of my growing-up years but still attracted to Christ himself and attracted to Celtic paganism and Druidry.

I love how cohesive your altar is. It really has a very sacred feel to it.

Thank you so much for your comments.  It's very hard in that while I love the outdoors with its sacred groves, springs, circles and standing stones as a part of pagan ritual... I also love the ritual, architecture, art and music of (many parts of) the Church.  Huge cathedrals like the Episcopal St. John the Divine http://www.stjohndivine.org/about/architecture fascinate me, as do ancient isolated stone monasteries in Ireland.  While there are many Christians who follow the 'social-justice' path of Jesus... so many don't, and instead have tied their Christianity to fundamentalism, the Republican party and right-wing values of racism, sexism, classism and LGBT-phobia.

I long for the day when the Pagan community can create their own indoor spaces for groups that are as lovely and meaningful and artistic as many churches are.
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 09, 2016, 07:08:11 am »
Quote from: Mellee;192440
Brian, this is stunning! Aesthetically pleasing, meaningful and powerful.

Thanks also... seeing the pictures here, I was reminded how sterile it is though (could be a display in the pagan version of "Bed, Bath and Beyond" or IKEA).  I want to find a better representation of the "World Tree" (if only because I'm not so crazy about the plant, that pot is way too big and is also disintegrating from age - that room gets little natural light so I have move the plant to the kitchen the majority of time so it'll stay alive!).  The riser (small crate) is too big for the table, but I've not found something (yet) which works better.  I didn't think about taking pictures with offerings of flowers, bread, wine, whiskey, water, salt out.  I'd like to get a statue or two, or icon or framed picture of the Christian holy persons or Pagan gods once that is decided upon, or I am called.

I sit at the altar in armed DR chair.  The end of the DR table is right behind me.  Eventually I want to get a swivel stool or swivel chair, where I can easily revolve around to use the end of the DR table for Tarot card spreads or any other 'work' which requires a big, flat, open space.
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 09, 2016, 07:44:44 pm »
I would love some inspiration & ideas. So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

Okay, my incense and incense bowl came today, so here are some pictures of my current setup. It's an altar/shrine to Cerridwen. The little figure is her with her cauldron. The bowl and incense are from an Etsy shop; the sand in the bowl, the rocks, the shells and feather are from the beach that is a block from my house. The moss is from a craft store (it's REAL though), and the bigger beeswax candle is from a local candlemaker. It's very much an expression of where I live and who I am right now, and I LOVE it.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 09, 2016, 07:49:19 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192468
Okay, my incense and incense bowl came today, so here are some pictures of my current setup. It's an altar/shrine to Cerridwen. The little figure is her with her cauldron. The bowl and incense are from an Etsy shop; the sand in the bowl, the rocks, the shells and feather are from the beach that is a block from my house. The moss is from a craft store (it's REAL though), and the bigger beeswax candle is from a local candlemaker. It's very much an expression of where I live and who I am right now, and I LOVE it.

Well, apparently my picture posting skills need work. Here are the links:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVGTr5YC_zjZlZyb0xMbDR4eEMxV0N5VGZYRFFvamphaFgw/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVGTr5YC_zjNFdkZUZUQXVWWHprRkExZHA4NjFzMUFUcVk0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVGTr5YC_zjaGpJcmVESTJiN0NFb3F2TFVTcW5Zcy1zN2tv/view?usp=sharing

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #338 on: June 09, 2016, 08:33:50 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;192469
Well, apparently my picture posting skills need work. Here are the links:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVGTr5YC_zjZlZyb0xMbDR4eEMxV0N5VGZYRFFvamphaFgw/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVGTr5YC_zjNFdkZUZUQXVWWHprRkExZHA4NjFzMUFUcVk0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVGTr5YC_zjaGpJcmVESTJiN0NFb3F2TFVTcW5Zcy1zN2tv/view?usp=sharing
I love everything about it! It never occurred to me that an altar/shrine surface could be anything but smooth. Did you make the little statue?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #339 on: June 09, 2016, 08:54:51 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;184804
So I finally got a Quan Yin statue. :D

She was originally on my shrine, but She felt so far away that I put Her on my nightstand not 3 feet from my pillow. She's about 5 inches tall and made of resin. The little flower card behind Her is my birthday card from my mother-in-law that was too pretty to throw away.

(Completely unrelated to anything, but my boyfriend is listening to Du Hast in the shower and it's just great.)
Also kind of a before and after. The plate I'd found at a Goodwill, there are quartz, moonstone, and amethyst crystals on the right, and the two mini glass jars hold lavender from my garden back home and fur from my beloved cat/familiar who passed last summer.

I keep my necklace, bracelet, and ring when I'm not wearing them at night on the statue itself because I make it a mini ritual to put them on every morning.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 09, 2016, 09:31:33 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;192474
I love everything about it! It never occurred to me that an altar/shrine surface could be anything but smooth. Did you make the little statue?

Aw thank you! I got the moss to make a centerpiece and then it struck me that it would make a good altar surface. It's all being held by a cookie sheet right now, but I'm going to get one of those wooden lap desks; I think that would make a nice movable shrine.

I didn't make the statue; I got it from a shop called BrigidsGrove on Etsy. She purchases the gypsum statues from a third party; I'd love to know the name of the artist but I don't.

I will say that the moss smells a little weird... kind of earthy but not really in a good way; I sprayed it with some aromatherapy spray and that pretty much took care of it.

njsquarebear

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 10, 2016, 06:43:43 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;192468
Okay, my incense and incense bowl came today, so here are some pictures of my current setup. It's an altar/shrine to Cerridwen. The little figure is her with her cauldron. The bowl and incense are from an Etsy shop; the sand in the bowl, the rocks, the shells and feather are from the beach that is a block from my house. The moss is from a craft store (it's REAL though)...

WOW!  I just 'love' your idea of the moss.  You've really inspired me!  I'd love to create an indoor table-top grotto using some larger rocks, moss, god(dess) figurine (once I figure who he/she/they are!)... and eventually maybe a small circulating fountain (though for now, I'd settle for a glazed pottery bowl, as a 'sacred well').  

The only problem I see is that this altar would have to be 'locked away' from my cat.  I'm betting that moss is poisonous if eaten... and my bad boy would definitely drink from / play in another water bowl he found, esp. a fountain! LOL
peace,
Brian (njsquarebear)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 10, 2016, 08:52:56 am »
Quote from: njsquarebear;192487
WOW!  I just 'love' your idea of the moss.  You've really inspired me!  I'd love to create an indoor table-top grotto using some larger rocks, moss, god(dess) figurine (once I figure who he/she/they are!)... and eventually maybe a small circulating fountain (though for now, I'd settle for a glazed pottery bowl, as a 'sacred well').  

The only problem I see is that this altar would have to be 'locked away' from my cat.  I'm betting that moss is poisonous if eaten... and my bad boy would definitely drink from / play in another water bowl he found, esp. a fountain! LOL

So far both my cats have been completely uninterested in the moss. It does smell sort of weird in a very non-plant-like kind of a way. Now, my one cat is the sort of cat that eats nothing but cat food and plain white meat chicken, but the other eats everything including pizza and he finds the moss boring.

I have a feeling that they would both regard a fountain as their personal plaything, however.

If you do go with the grotto idea, I'd love to see the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalicoNyanko

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2016, 09:28:57 pm »

I would love some inspiration & ideas. So if anyone would love to share pics or descriptions of their altars it would be lovely. I always find it just amazing the beauty & creativity that go into some altars & shrines.

*Edit--Photo didn't seem to post, so here's the link.  http://obsessedsokkafangirl.deviantart.com/art/Family-History-Wall-614985843?ga_submit_new=10%253A1465778134

As I have not yet felt drawn to any particular deity, and since I have to keep my altar very family friendly (I have two toddlers who get into everything!) I have kept things very simple.  The main focus is my ancestry wall. I feel that honoring my ancestors is an important part of who I am, and I make it an important part of my spiritual path too.  The photos and paintings on this wall range from the early 1800s to present, though I have not covered all of my direct ancestors by far.

As for more obvious, pagan-centered items, I don't have many yet.  I do have a selenite tower, several candles, and various dried flowers.  In the future I hope to add a few more crystals, maybe a plant or two (if my cats will spare them), and should I feel drawn to a deity, hopefully a statuette or two as well.

But, for now, this is my altar.  I would love feedback, because I'm never too sure just what I should and shouldn't put up there.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:36:58 pm by CalicoNyanko »

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #344 on: October 26, 2016, 09:50:27 pm »
Quote from: Eastling;190595
I went and got some materials for a shrine or altar today and started setting it up, so I might as well poke my head into this thread.

You can see my progress here and here.

I cleaned and updated my altars and shrines today, so I'm reviving this thread to talk about it.

First of all, my current practice is an interweaving loop of dual paths with a combination Wiccish/Judaic/whatever-the-heck structure: one worshipping the union of Hashem (with influence from Set) and the Shekhina/Lilith, and one worshipping the union of Dionysos and Ariadne (as the Queen of the Maenads and an intersected aspect of Persephone and Aphrodite) and to a certain extent a third Power I am not yet at liberty to discuss, with Ishtar-Inanna involved (possibly bridging the two paths).

I also have an outdoor "hidden" shrine to Hekate and the local daimon which I will discuss at the end of this post.

It's complicated.

I've settled on two indoor workspaces for the moment: one in the bathroom, next to the shower/bathtub, because that's where I do a lot of ritual work; and one at the head of my bed for devotion and ritual work that doesn't involve being naked and under running water. The former may have to be made less obtrusive when I get a roommate soon. We'll see.

This is the bathroom altar. A lot of the things here are to some degree functional. The salt is for purification and for mixing with the red wine I offer to my Powers via Lilith on Friday nights, using the bowl (which itself is made of orthoceras fossil, giving it an aquatic and animal aspect). The speaker is for playing music. The placemat is for cleanliness when I'm burning incense, and of course the censer is for that purpose.

I'd like to get a more appropriately-devotional speaker and placemat, but I'm flat broke at the moment so I make do with what I have.

The remaining items are purely decorative/devotional: the glass dildo and mask devotional to Dionysos, and the heart sculpture symbolic of a Mystery of the relationships and exchanges amongst myself and my Powers in ritual.

My bedroom shrine/altar is more complicated. It's framed by Jewish devotion: the hamsa my brother brought back as a gift from Israel on the right, a mirror for Lilith above, and eventually (when I can afford it) a Judaica-styled lamp to replace the plain blue IKEA one on the left (I'd like to get a Judaica-styled incense holder but that seems more elusive; perhaps I can make it myself sometime).  Within that frame are more items for Lilith, a central shrine to Ariadne and Dionysos, and a corner shrine to Ishtar-Inanna.

Lilith's mini-shrine contains a plastic stand featuring a lamia character from an extremely questionable, sexually exploitative, well-crafted and engaging fanservice anime and a pewter owl charm which I picked up in the airport on my way across the country to my father's funeral and kept with me through the following weekend as a protective charm.

Ishtar-Inanna's corner shrine features a big glass heart sculpture, the lions that draw her chariot, a vintage Playboy featuring the actress who awakened my queer sexuality when I was an adolescent, and a perfectly-shaped piece of lapis lazuli. I'd like to get something to place the latter on, since it's already been broken and glued back together once.

The central shrine to Ariadne and Dionysos involves a large bell, a tiny bottle of garnet chips, a little bamboo plant (because it's my second attempt at keeping a tiny plant that my cat won't make herself sick eating on this altar), a mask, a lighter with a mask on it, and another glass dildo with a flower design in it. Notably, the lighter is as much devotional to my Hashem/Set syncretism (a Power associated with fire and ignition) as it is to Dionysos. Likewise, while the bell is symbolic of the frenzied music of the maenads, it also has owls on it, which are symbols of Lilith.

Finally, the hidden shrine is a block away, at the end of a backroad through my apartment complex that terminates up against a wild, overgrown lot. It's centered in a little grove of alder trees, blackberry brambles, and other miscellaneous foliage. There I buried a box containing symbols and offerings and consecrated to Hekate and the local liminal daimon of the threshold between home and wilderness.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Tags: