+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Newbie Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    LunarRainbow is on a distinguished road LunarRainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    9 Mar 2017 @ 10:31 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Animism (leaning towards Hellenic Paganism)
    Pronouns
    she/her
    Posts
    11

    Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Sorry if this isn't the right place, but I did think that, based on the sub-categories, this would be the best place to post a question like this.

    I don't have faith in the Gods, or the Spirits. Don't get me wrong, I sincerely believe in the Gods, and that the spiritual is all around me, but I have no faith, no trust, no sense of the relationship or connection that I see with so many other people.

    I've never had such, and I think that this may form a stumbling block to my path, because I WANT that relationship, that feeling of connection, and especially feel like this could be a problem when pursuing things that require that connected-ness, such as Magickal practice.

    Overall, I was hoping that some insight could be provided on how to build that feeling of connection or relationship? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Likewise, please let me know if there are any questions or information you want me to clarify on. : )

  2. #2
    Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    12 Mar 2017 @ 06:53 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Posts
    275

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarRainbow View Post
    Sorry if this isn't the right place, but I did think that, based on the sub-categories, this would be the best place to post a question like this.

    I don't have faith in the Gods, or the Spirits. Don't get me wrong, I sincerely believe in the Gods, and that the spiritual is all around me, but I have no faith, no trust, no sense of the relationship or connection that I see with so many other people.

    I've never had such, and I think that this may form a stumbling block to my path, because I WANT that relationship, that feeling of connection, and especially feel like this could be a problem when pursuing things that require that connected-ness, such as Magickal practice.

    Overall, I was hoping that some insight could be provided on how to build that feeling of connection or relationship? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Likewise, please let me know if there are any questions or information you want me to clarify on. : )
    Hm. Well, first off, I think trust is earned in a sense, so not trusting a being that you've never met isn't wrong. The gods don't necessarily have any claim on your trust at this point. For instance, it's not that I don't believe in the Norse gods, but I don't work with them, so trust isn't a thing for me when it comes to them.

    Do you have specific gods you're interested in? Perhaps start with one you're particularly drawn to and just say hi. If it feels appropriate, TELL them you how you feel; I figure honesty is always best. I don't see a problem with saying something like, "So I like the idea of working with you, but I don't know you, so maybe you could meet me halfway?"

    Others may have better ideas, but I figure it can't hurt to make the first overture and just express interest and see what happens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Newbie Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    LunarRainbow is on a distinguished road LunarRainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    9 Mar 2017 @ 10:31 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Animism (leaning towards Hellenic Paganism)
    Pronouns
    she/her
    Posts
    11

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    -snip-
    Do you have specific gods you're interested in? Perhaps start with one you're particularly drawn to and just say hi. If it feels appropriate, TELL them you how you feel; I figure honesty is always best. I don't see a problem with saying something like, "So I like the idea of working with you, but I don't know you, so maybe you could meet me halfway?"
    -snip-
    Wow, thank you for replying as quickly as you did.

    I'm...not really sure. To bee honest, I don't really have any real concept of what Gods exist beyond my basic understanding of spirituality. There's no 'names' to be honest, and since I'm kind of spiritually blind I'm not sure what Gods I feel connected or drawn to, in both a physical sense and a spiritual sense.

    My conception of spirituality is a little weird I'll admit. There's individual Gods in all things, but its all part of this underlying spiritual nature that exists within all things. So there's literally infinite deities that I could contact, and spirituality can even be completely removed from deities (although I don't want it to be) by focusing on the universal spiritual nature...I'm kind of at a loss.
    Last edited by LunarRainbow; 16 Feb 2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added a sentence

  4. #4
    Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    12 Mar 2017 @ 06:53 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Posts
    275

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarRainbow View Post
    Wow, thank you for replying as quickly as you did.

    I'm...not really sure. To bee honest, I don't really have any real concept of what Gods exist beyond my basic understanding of spirituality. There's no 'names' to be honest, and since I'm kind of spiritually blind I'm not sure what Gods I feel connected or drawn to, in both a physical sense and a spiritual sense.

    My conception of spirituality is a little weird I'll admit. There's individual Gods in all things, but its all part of this underlying spiritual nature that exists within all things. So there's literally infinite deities that I could contact...I'm kind of at a loss.
    I'd look into animism if I were you, because that's basically what you're describing, I think. Check out the concept of the genius loci, and maybe try just chatting with your local trees and streams and rocks, or the sky or moon or whatever resonates with you, and such and see what you get. You don't have to follow a specific system; you can just work with the local spirits (something I definitely want to work on even though I also honor some specific Welsh deities).

    It's hard when you're first figuring things out (and gee, I'm pretty new at this too; I'm just suggesting what's helped me). There's no real right or wrong way, either. The gods are forgiving. I think they know that most of us haven't grown up being told how to talk to them so we're kinda lost and are going to blunder around a bit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Newbie Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    LunarRainbow is on a distinguished road LunarRainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    9 Mar 2017 @ 10:31 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Animism (leaning towards Hellenic Paganism)
    Pronouns
    she/her
    Posts
    11

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    I'd look into animism if I were you, because that's basically what you're describing, I think. Check out the concept of the genius loci, and maybe try just chatting with your local trees and streams and rocks, or the sky or moon or whatever resonates with you, and such and see what you get. You don't have to follow a specific system; you can just work with the local spirits (something I definitely want to work on even though I also honor some specific Welsh deities).

    It's hard when you're first figuring things out (and gee, I'm pretty new at this too; I'm just suggesting what's helped me). There's no real right or wrong way, either. The gods are forgiving. I think they know that most of us haven't grown up being told how to talk to them so we're kinda lost and are going to blunder around a bit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I actually already identify as an animist, so you're right on the money there! Yay! : D

    I was in a very ritualistic path before, and that really didn't help at all to me I'd want to focus more about incorporating spirituality into my day-to-day life and activities. Not have to do them only separate from that, and the rest of my life. I don't think spirituality and life are separate, so I left and only recently started identifying solely as animist.

    I think that's the main block I'm running into. Nothing...resonates, as you said, with me. That or I'm just blind to whatever resonates with me. Even if I did know then I wouldn't know how to act or strengthen that resonance.

    I think that's the first time I've heard talking to trees and rocks used in a respectful and helpful way. If I knew how I probably would, but I don't. xD

  6. #6
    Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    12 Mar 2017 @ 06:53 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Posts
    275

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarRainbow View Post
    I actually already identify as an animist, so you're right on the money there! Yay! : D

    I was in a very ritualistic path before, and that really didn't help at all to me I'd want to focus more about incorporating spirituality into my day-to-day life and activities. Not have to do them only separate from that, and the rest of my life. I don't think spirituality and life are separate, so I left and only recently started identifying solely as animist.

    I think that's the main block I'm running into. Nothing...resonates, as you said, with me. That or I'm just blind to whatever resonates with me. Even if I did know then I wouldn't know how to act or strengthen that resonance.

    I think that's the first time I've heard talking to trees and rocks used in a respectful and helpful way. If I knew how I probably would, but I don't. xD
    I guess... I dunno. If you think there's a spirit in there, just walk up and say hi. Wave. Sit down next to and and be like, "Soooo... this is awkward...." Hug a tree. Sit and watch a bumble bee do its thing. Hold a dying dragonfly (I did this over the summer. I was a wreck for hours. I actually probably don't recommend that. It was incredibly profound, but so gut wrenching that I don't wish it on anyone).

    I figure that we don't generally feel connections with people until we get to know them. I'm not sure why it should be different with spirits. Compound that with the fact that you need to figure out how they communicate to begin with, and it makes sense that there might be a bit of a disconnect.

    One thing that's helped me is to generally connect with where I live. If you learn about what lives in your area, the plants and trees and animals and insects, where the waterways are and where they go, what body of water feeds your tap, what geologic forces shaped the area, that sort of thing, and you do a lot of just sitting outside listening, you'll start to feel connected, and that might open up some communication.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Senior Newbie Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    LunarRainbow is on a distinguished road LunarRainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    9 Mar 2017 @ 10:31 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Animism (leaning towards Hellenic Paganism)
    Pronouns
    she/her
    Posts
    11

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    I guess... I dunno. If you think there's a spirit in there, just walk up and say hi. Wave. Sit down next to and and be like, "Soooo... this is awkward...." Hug a tree. Sit and watch a bumble bee do its thing. Hold a dying dragonfly (I did this over the summer. I was a wreck for hours. I actually probably don't recommend that. It was incredibly profound, but so gut wrenching that I don't wish it on anyone).

    I figure that we don't generally feel connections with people until we get to know them. I'm not sure why it should be different with spirits. Compound that with the fact that you need to figure out how they communicate to begin with, and it makes sense that there might be a bit of a disconnect.

    One thing that's helped me is to generally connect with where I live. If you learn about what lives in your area, the plants and trees and animals and insects, where the waterways are and where they go, what body of water feeds your tap, what geologic forces shaped the area, that sort of thing, and you do a lot of just sitting outside listening, you'll start to feel connected, and that might open up some communication.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I want to thank you for your help thus far. Its a little late to be going out, but I'll definitely try some of your suggestions! : D

    Talking to trees...well...I suppose people already think I'm crazy! xD Anyways, I definitely will see what comes up. Maybe not talking to the tree in a conventional manner, but reaching out spiritually and just kind of, listening? I could do that while reading or writing, or drawing, or whatever. : )

    Also yeah, that makes sense that understanding the local area as a part of the greater whole is probably a much better way of going about things. : )
    Last edited by LunarRainbow; 16 Feb 2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added tree talking bit

  8. #8
    Master Member Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha will become famous soon enough Sorcha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Last Online
    12 Mar 2017 @ 06:53 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Posts
    275

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarRainbow View Post
    I want to thank you for your help thus far. Its a little late to be going out, but I'll definitely try some of your suggestions! : D

    Talking to trees...well...I suppose people already think I'm crazy! xD Anyways, I definitely will see what comes up. Maybe not talking to the tree in a conventional manner, but reaching out spiritually and just kind of, listening? I could do that while reading or writing, or drawing, or whatever. : )

    Also yeah, that makes sense that understanding the local area as a part of the greater whole is probably a much better way of going about things. : )
    Eh, I have literally hugged trees, so believe me, I'm not going to think you're weird.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsOverdrive31 days registered
    sevensons can only hope to improve sevensons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Mysticism
    Posts
    93

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarRainbow View Post

    I've never had such, and I think that this may form a stumbling block to my path, because I WANT that relationship, that feeling of connection, and especially feel like this could be a problem when pursuing things that require that connected-ness, such as Magickal practice.
    If you require a very deep connection you would be found simple enough the key part of the connection is to be in a more advanced state. by learning witch craft and realising what state of being your in. its like a combat daily to reach the highest level.

  10. #10
    Senior Newbie Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    LunarRainbow is on a distinguished road LunarRainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    9 Mar 2017 @ 10:31 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Animism (leaning towards Hellenic Paganism)
    Pronouns
    she/her
    Posts
    11

    Re: Building a relationship & connection with the Gods.

    Quote Originally Posted by sevensons View Post
    If you require a very deep connection you would be found simple enough the key part of the connection is to be in a more advanced state. by learning witch craft and realising what state of being your in. its like a combat daily to reach the highest level.
    I see...I suppose what I meant more of was that I feel a need to be in tune with and connected with the universal spiritual energy around me, and have no idea how to do that really. Its good to know that its normal to struggle with this issue, if to a slightly different degree.

    Do you have any advice on that...possible where to start? I don't know. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've come to the view that I need some spiritual awareness, and feeling of connection to the spiritual, before I can start going into Magick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Building #2
    By Atehequa in forum Art, Poetry, and Writing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3 Aug 2014, 03:50 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 28 Jul 2014, 09:07 PM
  3. Help With Building New Relationship w/Old Person
    By NaomiHope in forum Magic and the Occult for Beginners
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26 Dec 2012, 09:47 AM
  4. Building a Magic Garden
    By Blackbird Sage in forum Magic and the Occult for Beginners
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17 Jun 2012, 11:29 PM
  5. Building an outdoor shrine
    By Asch in forum Worship and Ritual
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18 Apr 2012, 09:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts