+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs

Re: Beginning worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Something View Post
    A Reminder:
    Hi, Something,

We don't mind long posts here, but to avoid having a hard-to-read wall-o'-text, hitting "enter" twice every few lines adds some white space and makes it easier to follow - I've edited yours to add those breaks, but it's a really good habit to get into yourself.

They don't have to be the "proper" place for paragraph breaks (we're interested in readability more than technicalities), or a complete change of thought - some thoughts take a lot of lines and need to be broken up into sub-thoughts - as long as they're there.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
    Sunflower
    TC Forum Staff
    Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    I do so have a life. I just live part of it online.
    “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
    to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
    "Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
    My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Apprentice Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered
    Something is on a distinguished road Something's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:25 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Complex

Quote Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
    I'm not going to start a debate on this in the 'Paganism for Beginners' forum, but if you'd like to bring it up, preferably one subject at a time, in 'Non-Pagan Religions' or some other suitable forum, perhaps we can engage in a friendly fashion and at least see where each other is coming from.
    Agreed this is not the place and is probably something that has been debated thousands of times before, just making the point that most people who follow pagan faiths whether it be Greeks, early Romans, Egyptions or norse will not feel great about how Christianity devised it's stories and culture from faiths that were around long before, but I am aware that it is a matter of personal opinion..

Journeyman
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    ehbowen is on a distinguished road ehbowen's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Southern Baptist

Agreed this is not the place and is probably something that has been debated thousands of times before, just making the point that most people who follow pagan faiths whether it be Greeks, early Romans, Egyptions or norse will not feel great about how Christianity devised it's stories and culture from faiths that were around long before, but I am aware that it is a matter of personal opinion..
    Have you considered the possibility that those various stories are not just fables but actually do reflect unseen realities, and that by adopting them Christianity was able to affirm and in many cases to shed new light onto otherwise unknown aspects of those realities?

And I'm not claiming that this process was exclusive to Christianity, although I do believe that divine inspiration is also a reality and that the God of the very beginning and ultimate destination of time and space has his hand firmly upon the process as it pertains to Christianity in general and the Holy Scriptures in particular. But, again, it's not exclusive; Truth is Truth regardless of whoever gives it voice.
    --------Eric H. Bowen
    Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Etc
    Pronouns
    any of he, she, they

just making the point that most people who follow pagan faiths whether it be Greeks, early Romans, Egyptions or norse will not feel great about how Christianity devised it's stories and culture from faiths that were around long before, but I am aware that it is a matter of personal opinion..
    Christianity derives from Judaism. JUDAISM. You may have heard of it. That is where its stories come from. This is not a matter of personal opinion, this is a matter of actual and undeniable historical fact.

Meanwhile, the modern pagan movement derives heavily from mysticised early science (including archaeological sciences), Westernised Hinduism, neo-Classicism, and the grimoire tradition, which is largely Christian with some Jewish roots. Speaking of "devising stories from things that were around long before".
    as the water grinds the stone
    we rise and fall
    as our ashes turn to dust
    we shine like stars - Covenant, "Bullet"

Peaceful Awakenings: Kemetic research blog
    Suns in Her Branches: Integrative religion site and blog
    Beewine Press Pagan Calendars

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7