Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Beginning worship.  (Read 7342 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Beginning worship.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 10:54:24 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;203167
Oh, I was kidding. If it were to happen, it would be better for it to be in a location accessible to a lot more pagans. I live in coastal Maine.

Well, New Englandish suggests that something that can take advantage of the Salem market, given that that area gets tourist traffic as well as locals.  (Mind, Salem is itself sort of this thing already, in some areas, though a ... lot... of it is... crap.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 10:59:39 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;203281
Well, New Englandish suggests that something that can take advantage of the Salem market, given that that area gets tourist traffic as well as locals.  (Mind, Salem is itself sort of this thing already, in some areas, though a ... lot... of it is... crap.)

I think the thread I was thinking of, meanwhile, was on a different board version (I seem to recall a similar thread where I was fantasising about a shop that has a wide variety of different wood twigs for wandcrafting purposes at one point, but maybe that was in my head) but of possible interest to folks, "What would your ideal pagan store carry?"
we rise and fall

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 11:19:21 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;203281

New England is a vast place. I'm about five hours from Salem. Sadly. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 10:58:44 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;203328
New England is a vast place. I'm about five hours from Salem. Sadly. :(

Still!  It'd be more convenient for you than, say, Arizona!

I think big nexus points for a pagan mall type thing would be the Salem area, Minneapolis, the SF Bay Area, and ... New Orleans, maybe?  I'm less clear on where the nexus points are in the South.  Wherever Serpentstone is, possibly.
we rise and fall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 08:55:02 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;203334
Still!  It'd be more convenient for you than, say, Arizona!

I think big nexus points for a pagan mall type thing would be the Salem area, Minneapolis, the SF Bay Area, and ... New Orleans, maybe?  I'm less clear on where the nexus points are in the South.  Wherever Serpentstone is, possibly.

Also NYC (or somewhere in its commuter catchment area - so this mall could wind up in New Jersey).

I'm not sure if the South has a nexus that's on anything like the same scale as NYC, the Bay Area, and Minneapolis. I believe Serpentstone is in NC (as was the Frosts' Church and School of Wicca, for many years, though it later relocated to WV), so that's definitely a possibility.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 02:44:13 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;203353
Also NYC (or somewhere in its commuter catchment area - so this mall could wind up in New Jersey).

I'm not sure if the South has a nexus that's on anything like the same scale as NYC, the Bay Area, and Minneapolis. I believe Serpentstone is in NC (as was the Frosts' Church and School of Wicca, for many years, though it later relocated to WV), so that's definitely a possibility.

Sunflower

Possibly around the Baltimore/Washington DC Metro area? I mean, that's more Mid-Atlantic than Southern, so it probably wouldn't solve any problems. I'm not really that familiar with anything below Northern Virginia.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 05:27:50 pm »
Quote from: Tom;203376
Possibly around the Baltimore/Washington DC Metro area? I mean, that's more Mid-Atlantic than Southern, so it probably wouldn't solve any problems. I'm not really that familiar with anything below Northern Virginia.
In North Carolina specifically I'd say the Triangle, the Triad, and Charlotte.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Cinder

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 02:35:51 pm »
Quote from: Bladeohex;202726
Hello everyone, My name is Colin and I have just recently became a Eclectic Pagan. Last night I performed a rite to find my patron deity. After I completed the rite I felt like I had hellfire in my body but yet I was not sweating, I was then compelled to grab my ancient Greek coins, I was also compelled to speak with my girlfriend about pouring wine into the ground when I get married. I believe that this was Hades speaking to me. I am looking for some prayers to Hades that I can perform. Please help!

While I definitely agree with the others that it's probably best to take your time and to have fun browsing, if you are interested in Hades as a patron god I'd just like to throw it out there that Hellenic Polytheism is a thing and that people enjoy it. However, definitely not everyone that works with Hades considers themselves one, I just figured you may not have heard of it as an option before.

Have fun starting on your path, this is an exciting time in your life! :)

Something

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 04:57:35 pm »
Quote from: Bladeohex;202726
Hello everyone, My name is Colin and I have just recently became a Eclectic Pagan. Last night I performed a rite to find my patron deity. After I completed the rite I felt like I had hellfire in my body but yet I was not sweating, I was then compelled to grab my ancient Greek coins, I was also compelled to speak with my girlfriend about pouring wine into the ground when I get married. I believe that this was Hades speaking to me. I am looking for some prayers to Hades that I can perform. Please help!

There is no fire in hel that was 1 of the many perversions by Christianity, secondly as long as you used some forms of protection in your ritual then you should only be attracting entities with positive influences in mind, if you have come as far as inviting deities into your life then you will have already done much research and reading.. and if you have come this far then chances are your path is already chosen for you, otherworldly beings cannot interfere with mortals unless invited, what you have done is simply opened the door, as for the sensation you felt it could be simply coincidence or it may have been a very small reaction to the new energy drawn by you..

The truth is nobody will know who if any are sending you messages unless they know you personally and have a good knowledge of deities... I had some very extreme experiences of someone desperately trying to contact me since birth but it took me 32 years to work out what was going on..

Since then we have been inseparable and is also testament to how unique all living beings are as my relationship with this particular deity is completely different to anyone else who works with them..

I am always happy to hear from anyone who has welcomed new life into theirs, try taking an honest look at your soul what goes on in your mind and what you are truly like which tends to be very different from what we put on show for the rest to see. If you think it might be a Hades then I would suggest deep closed eyes meditation or obsidian scrying as this is a sort of pathway to lower relms.

Keep an eye out for certain messages in songs and TV, also watch out for certain animals that keep popping up. It can be an overwhelming time but try putting your mind at ease as the ones above and below are always grateful to see their children return.. Life isn't always wonderful but it is always a miracle.. Lots of love and luck on your path..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:25:32 pm by Morag »

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 05:13:24 pm »
Quote from: Something;205160
There is no fire in hel that was 1 of the many perversions by Christianity....

But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. [Matthew 5:22; NKJV]

So do you call Jesus a liar? Or do you call Matthew a liar? Or whom do you credit/blame for including this concept (which is found in several other passages in the New Testament, by the way)? What assurances do you have that your source of information is more reliable than theirs?

...secondly as long as you used some forms of protection in your ritual then you should only be attracting entities with positive influences in mind, if you have come as far as inviting deities into your life then you will have already done much research and reading.. and if you have come this far then chances are your path is already chosen for you, otherworldly beings cannot interfere with mortals unless invited....

This seems to be an extremely blanket statement. What assurances do you have that it is true in all cases?
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 06:03:20 pm »
There is no fire in hel that was 1 of the many perversions by Christianity, secondly as long as you used some forms of protection in your ritual then you should only be attracting entities with positive influences in mind, if you have come as far as inviting deities into your life then you will have already done much research and reading.. and if you have come this far then chances are your path is already chosen for you, otherworldly beings cannot interfere with mortals unless invited...

Quote from: ehbowen;205162
This seems to be an extremely blanket statement. What assurances do you have that it is true in all cases?

Not even touching on the hell/hel subject. That's a debate for another thread. But I'm gonna have to agree with Eric on it being a blanket statement. What about demonic possessions (assuming you believe in them)? What about all the deities and "otherworldly beings" who come into our lives unwanted until we either relent and let them in or tell them to fuck off? I disagree that we just "invite" them into our lives, even unknowingly.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:04:31 pm by missgraceless »
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 09:26:47 pm »

A Reminder:
Hi Something,

We don't mind long posts here, but to avoid having a hard-to-read  wall-o'-text, hitting "enter" twice every few lines adds some white  space and makes it easier to follow - I've edited yours to add those  breaks, but it's a really good habit to get into yourself.

They don't have to be the "proper" place for paragraph breaks (we're  interested in readability more than technicalities), or a complete  change of thought - some thoughts take a lot of lines and need to be  broken up into sub-thoughts - as long as they're there.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary,  but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to  contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Morag
TC Forum Staff
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 10:07:20 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;205162
So do you call Jesus a liar? Or do you call Matthew a liar? Or whom do you credit/blame for including this concept (which is found in several other passages in the New Testament, by the way)? What assurances do you have that your source of information is more reliable than theirs?

"Hell", linguistically speaking, is of course derived from the Norse mythologies, and thus anyone who is talking about Norse mythology has to dig through all of the interpolation from an unrelated religious system that happened to steal their word for such concepts as Gehenna, the cursed valley outside of Jerusalem (I want to say where trash was burned, but that may be my brain interpolating from something else).

The word actually used in original Biblical texts is "Gehenna" - seven times in Matthew, thrice in Mark, once in Luke, once in James.  The usage of "hell" is a modernism, an act of translation, which I imagine a number of heathens rightly find rather annoying, since it's using their mythological terminology for something that neither refers to the original Gehenna nor the Norse Hel.  (As the modern concept of hell has more roots in the literary works of John Milton than in the Bible itself.)
we rise and fall

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 10:33:00 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;205189
"Hell", linguistically speaking, is of course derived from the Norse mythologies, and thus anyone who is talking about Norse mythology has to dig through all of the interpolation from an unrelated religious system that happened to steal their word for such concepts as Gehenna, the cursed valley outside of Jerusalem (I want to say where trash was burned, but that may be my brain interpolating from something else).

The word actually used in original Biblical texts is "Gehenna" - seven times in Matthew, thrice in Mark, once in Luke, once in James.  The usage of "hell" is a modernism, an act of translation, which I imagine a number of heathens rightly find rather annoying, since it's using their mythological terminology for something that neither refers to the original Gehenna nor the Norse Hel.  (As the modern concept of hell has more roots in the literary works of John Milton than in the Bible itself.)

I will grant your argument that the word itself was appropriated, or perhaps misappropriated, from another culture and another religious system. I suppose that's perhaps the first and only time that has happened in the English language, although I could be mistaken...;)

With that linguistic fact granted, though, how does it affect the larger contention which I believe that Jesus was teaching that there is in fact accountability and judgment after death, and that a consequence to beware of is fire?
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 10:42:17 pm »
Quote from: ehbowen;205193
With that linguistic fact granted, though, how does it affect the larger contention which I believe that Jesus was teaching that there is in fact accountability and judgment after death, and that a consequence to beware of is fire?

It's a feature of several mythologies I'm aware of, yes, including yours.
we rise and fall

Tags: