Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Beginning worship.  (Read 7341 times)

Bladeohex

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Beginning worship.
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:59:26 am »
Hello everyone, My name is Colin and I have just recently became a Eclectic Pagan. Last night I performed a rite to find my patron deity. After I completed the rite I felt like I had hellfire in my body but yet I was not sweating, I was then compelled to grab my ancient Greek coins, I was also compelled to speak with my girlfriend about pouring wine into the ground when I get married. I believe that this was Hades speaking to me. I am looking for some prayers to Hades that I can perform. Please help!

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Beginning worship.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:52:52 am »
Quote from: Bladeohex;202726
Hello everyone, My name is Colin and I have just recently became a Eclectic Pagan. Last night I performed a rite to find my patron deity. After I completed the rite I felt like I had hellfire in my body but yet I was not sweating, I was then compelled to grab my ancient Greek coins, I was also compelled to speak with my girlfriend about pouring wine into the ground when I get married. I believe that this was Hades speaking to me. I am looking for some prayers to Hades that I can perform. Please help!

Okay, breathe.

There's a lot going on in this post. So, how about you break it down, huh? You just want prayers for some reason...?

Bladeohex

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:46 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;202915
Okay, breathe.

There's a lot going on in this post. So, how about you break it down, huh? You just want prayers for some reason...?

I'm sorry. I am looking for a path in general, I wrote this in a haze after a long night. I need a form of guidance as I am fairly lost in this world. I was an atheist for a very long time. Recent events such as the passing of my grandmother and the feeling of an old friend (presence of a spirit or god ) in the room has re ignited my spiritual flame. I have decided that Eclectic paganism and Wicca are the path for me. I need some help finding my way.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:02:08 am »
Quote from: Bladeohex;202978
I'm sorry. I am looking for a path in general, I wrote this in a haze after a long night. I need a form of guidance as I am fairly lost in this world. I was an atheist for a very long time. Recent events such as the passing of my grandmother and the feeling of an old friend (presence of a spirit or god ) in the room has re ignited my spiritual flame. I have decided that Eclectic paganism and Wicca are the path for me. I need some help finding my way.

Okay, one thing you should always remember as a beginner is that you don't have to nail yourself down to a path right away. Explore! Read! Try stuff!

That said, I'm gonna direct you to Jenett's site here. There is a lot of good information there geared towards beginners. Take your time and poke around there and also here on the forum.

Nobody here is gonna have all the answers, or be able to direct you to the 'right' path for you, but by just reading and talking to people I can promise you'll start to develop your own sense of where to go.

Bladeohex

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:48:36 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;202980
Okay, one thing you should always remember as a beginner is that you don't have to nail yourself down to a path right away. Explore! Read! Try stuff!

That said, I'm gonna direct you to Jenett's site here. There is a lot of good information there geared towards beginners. Take your time and poke around there and also here on the forum.

Nobody here is gonna have all the answers, or be able to direct you to the 'right' path for you, but by just reading and talking to people I can promise you'll start to develop your own sense of where to go.

Thank you very much.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:52:02 pm »
Quote from: Bladeohex;202978

I second Mama Fortuna. Take your time! There's no rush, no reason to dash into a specific path. Paganism is like a spirituality mall: grab a latté, pick up some candles, browse the gods, check out the meditation lounge, try that spell that pushy guy at the kiosk is hawking (but probably don't buy the spell kit, y'know? Those kiosk things are mostly gimmicks). Chill in the massage chair with that witchy book you bought. Drool over the athames (they may not be your thing, but hot damn are they cool). The store selling divination tools is the sort of place you can spend forever in. Sure, you don't really NEED the glittery Gandalf hat, but it was on sale...

Nobody's going to make you nail something down ASAP. Have fun with it!

(Also, this paganism mall thing needs to exist. Seriously.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 06:24:13 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;203038

That sounds like everything a metaphysical fair has ever aimed to be, only better, bigger, and permanent. :eek:
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 06:28:19 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;203040
That sounds like everything a metaphysical fair has ever aimed to be, only better, bigger, and permanent. :eek:

I know, right? I starting writing it as a total metaphor, and got halfway through and was like OMG I WANT TO GO TO THIS.

Bladeohex

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:53 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;203041
I know, right? I starting writing it as a total metaphor, and got halfway through and was like OMG I WANT TO GO TO THIS.

I love this community oml lol

Bladeohex

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 09:15:16 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;203038
I second Mama Fortuna. Take your time! There's no rush, no reason to dash into a specific path. Paganism is like a spirituality mall: grab a latté, pick up some candles, browse the gods, check out the meditation lounge, try that spell that pushy guy at the kiosk is hawking (but probably don't buy the spell kit, y'know? Those kiosk things are mostly gimmicks). Chill in the massage chair with that witchy book you bought. Drool over the athames (they may not be your thing, but hot damn are they cool). The store selling divination tools is the sort of place you can spend forever in. Sure, you don't really NEED the glittery Gandalf hat, but it was on sale...

I love this metaphor. Like oh my gods. I want a mall like this and have like a witchy barnes and noble omfg.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:20 pm »
Quote from: Bladeohex;203047
I love this metaphor. Like oh my gods. I want a mall like this and have like a witchy barnes and noble omfg.

I'm glad it works for you! :) I have to continually remind myself that I don't have to figure it out today or tomorrow or next week or next year.

Every time I'm like "Do I want to be a Druid or an eclectic Celtic pagan? Do I want to do hoodoo? I NEED TO CHOOSE A MAGIC SYSTEM!!! Which gods do I choose? I mean, like, do I want to work with X deity for the next eighty years or not?!? Candle magic! I need that, oh and why am I seriously not doing sigils like every day?" I have to remind myself to just breathe and put on the brakes and just take it one step, one candle, one prayer, one spell at a time.

The gods have been around for a loooooooong time and they're very patient. They'll be there when we're ready. Brigid elbowed me patiently and gently for about a year before I was like OKAY FINE, and she's definitely okay with it taking me that long.

Bladeohex

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 10:04:30 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;203050
I'm glad it works for you! :) I have to continually remind myself that I don't have to figure it out today or tomorrow or next week or next year.

Every time I'm like "Do I want to be a Druid or an eclectic Celtic pagan? Do I want to do hoodoo? I NEED TO CHOOSE A MAGIC SYSTEM!!! Which gods do I choose? I mean, like, do I want to work with X deity for the next eighty years or not?!? Candle magic! I need that, oh and why am I seriously not doing sigils like every day?" I have to remind myself to just breathe and put on the brakes and just take it one step, one candle, one prayer, one spell at a time.

The gods have been around for a loooooooong time and they're very patient. They'll be there when we're ready. Brigid elbowed me patiently and gently for about a year before I was like OKAY FINE, and she's definitely okay with it taking me that long.

Thank you so much for the insight

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 10:41:37 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;203050

Speaking as an Old Fuck, I can also add that even if you do think you've figured it out? Things will change over the years.

Also I want to see the Food Court in the Paganism Mall.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 10:48:07 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;203055
Speaking as an Old Fuck, I can also add that even if you do think you've figured it out? Things will change over the years.

I'm a Not-So-Old Fuck, and I can say that I thought I had it nailed down around twenty-five or so. And then I met my ex, who was a former Wiccan and current agnostic and that changed everything.

And if there's not a buffet called "Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog" and a soup place called "Boil and Bubble", I will be severely disappointed.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 07:04:45 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;203055

Would they serve cakes and ale?

I'd like to see one of those 'Paint Your Own Pottery' places with deity figurines and other altar stuff.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Tags: