Journeyman Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Sorcha is on a distinguished road Sorcha's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Re: Does the Government Use Witchcraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Well, there is Arthur C. Clarke who said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Perhaps for this man, the scientists are sufficiently advanced in comparison to his personal baseline for technology that they do seem to be in fact full of wizards, though I think a lot of them probably wish they were wizards. Which might also add to the confusion because geek jokes can fly over the heads of people who do not understand them.

...And then there are those who RP wizards.
    No, in context he literally meant "science is actually an evil cabal of wizards doing nefarious stuff with satanic magic". As in plain old biology because evolution is actually a satanic religion started by the evil high priest Darwin... I'm quoting, not exaggerating.

So no, we're not talking about advanced quantum physics or anything like that. We're talking plain old natural selection and other stuff that's been accepted science for well over a hundred years.

And while this guy was particularly extreme, none of this is actually that far fetched among a lot of evangelicals, particularly those of a more conservative bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom is just really nice Tom's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:22 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Devotee of Veles, Slavic Heathen, Fictional Recon
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    No, in context he literally meant "science is actually an evil cabal of wizards doing nefarious stuff with satanic magic". As in plain old biology because evolution is actually a satanic religion started by the evil high priest Darwin... I'm quoting, not exaggerating.

So no, we're not talking about advanced quantum physics or anything like that. We're talking plain old natural selection and other stuff that's been accepted science for well over a hundred years.

And while this guy was particularly extreme, none of this is actually that far fetched among a lot of evangelicals, particularly those of a more conservative bent.

I was actually trying to make a joke and clearly, I failed. I know people like that exist, unfortunately.

Journeyman Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Solitary eclectic Celtic-inspired druidish hedgewitchy christopagan... thing. *shrug*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I was actually trying to make a joke and clearly, I failed. I know people like that exist, unfortunately.
    Ahhh. Sorry. *belated laugh*

I engage in too much political discourse with dubiously-informed people on Facebook so I tend to go into Humorless Facts Mode sometimes.

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Castus has a spectacular aura about Castus has a spectacular aura about Castus has a spectacular aura about Castus's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:00 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eucharistic Catholic Church

Quote Originally Posted by astraloracle View Post
    Hi there,

So it is my personal belief that the government, (particularly the US and UK systems) have knowledge of esoterica and probably use witchcraft to some degree in order to enforce stability and order. Now, I know this is controversial, and i don't necessarily believe in satan worshipping reptiliians in skin suits- but there is centuries of evidence suggesting they use the craft. Theres the free masons, the golden dawn, and even astrologers whom were employed by the government who have come out and spoken about it. they have demonized the egyptian goddess "ISIS" to name a mistranslated terrorist group. They have butchered and sold traditions. What makes you think they aren't attempting to control the masses with the craft?

If this is true..what does this mean for humanity and consciousness? and what does this mean for us, as witches? do we combat it? how?
    *sighs*

Jane, just pass the goddamn blunt already. You've had it for like an hour.

Master Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky is a glorious beacon of light Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:08 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    English Dissenter

Quote Originally Posted by astraloracle View Post
    Hi there,

So it is my personal belief that the government, (particularly the US and UK systems) have knowledge of esoterica and probably use witchcraft to some degree in order to enforce stability and order.
    Actually, I can confirm this. I do know of at least two local councillers who have knowledge of esoterica. Although, from what I recall, the Lib Dem one mostly used it to get laid.
    Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

Apprentice Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    sevensons is on a distinguished road sevensons's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Undecided

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Actually, I can confirm this. I do know of at least two local councillers who have knowledge of esoterica. Although, from what I recall, the Lib Dem one mostly used it to get laid.
    I could be really extreme on my views the hole civilisation is hypnotized in some way. I have a few words that can change my thought process from thick to efficient being. why don't the media use this type of technique. my thoughts are they don't want the world to evolve.

Journeyman
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ehbowen is on a distinguished road ehbowen's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:39 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Southern Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    Well, fundamentalist evangelical Christians certainly think so. They loooooove the idea (ridiculous, IMO) that Freemasons are demonic and the government is run by Satan and witchcraft and quite possibly child sacrifice. Most recently I read some guy speculating that all scientists are part of a secret cabal of wizards run by a satanic government, and he was dead serious. I'm extremely skeptical, however. Quite honestly, this sounds like something right out of a Chick Tract.
    Well, I wouldn't wager anything more valuable than a cold soda on this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that some mid-level operatives in the CIA (or INS Division 6!) were in direct contact with demons in the guise of what the government men believe are space aliens.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to go and re-fold my tin foil hat....
    --------Eric H. Bowen
    Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Journeyman Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
    Well, I wouldn't wager anything more valuable than a cold soda on this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that some mid-level operatives in the CIA (or INS Division 6!) were in direct contact with demons in the guise of what the government men believe are space aliens.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to go and re-fold my tin foil hat....
    Possibly. I suppose that wouldn't exactly shock me. I guess I see a difference between "the government" and "a few CIA operatives". I mean, I'm sure you could dredge up a decent handful of ethical, honest, and altruistic politicians, but that doesn't mean that "the government" is decent, honest, and altruistic. There's a difference between asserting that there are a few Satanists in government somewhere, for instance, and asserting that the government is secretly run by an evil satanic cabal that sacrifices babies on the regular* to achieve their aims.

I kind of read the OP as meaning that witchcraft is some sort of standard operating procedure.

*I know that Satanists do not sacrifice babies on the regular.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2