Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Druid Hedgewitch
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Exhaustion and Illness after Rituals

Hi,

Lately I've found myself being completely wiped out and ill feeling for days after doing rituals and magic and I don't know why. I'm wondering if I'm missing a step or doing something wrong.

I'm at Druid level in OBOD and I've been doing rituals and spells for a fair while, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong right now. I know this was also an issue for me when I first started, but then it went away.

Maybe I'm not grounding correctly after, or maybe I'm building too much energy, not enough or I'm building it in the wrong way (does that make any sense?)

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this a bit? I'm going to go over some of my beginner level books to see if I'm not missing something, but it feels like something 'not beginner', if that makes any sense.

Any help is much appreciated.

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett has a reputation beyond repute Jenett's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Initiatory religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: Exhaustion and Illness after Rituals

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cat View Post
    Can anyone help me troubleshoot this a bit? I'm going to go over some of my beginner level books to see if I'm not missing something, but it feels like something 'not beginner', if that makes any sense.
    For troubleshooting, it'd help to have a few more details, if you're comfortable sharing them. Some things that would probably be helpful info include:

- What kinds of things are you doing in the ritual?

And in specific, what's different about now versus when you weren't having problems - are there specific kinds of ritual acts or types of ritual you've added, for example?

- What kind of exhaustion and feeling ill is it?

Mild (or not so mild) nausea might suggest different things than feeling hypersensitive to light or noise. Likewise, there's different kinds of exhaustion or feeling tired - weakness and inability to move are different than 'I'm so tired I need to fall over' are different than brain fog or inability to do basic tasks comfortably.

- Are there any cyclical patterns?

For example, some people discover sometimes significant shifts in their energy when they start attuning to lunar cycles, and it can take a while to sort that out, so looking at patterns (is it every ritual or magical working you do? Only some of them?)

- Are there any health issues you deal with that might be relevant? (Don't feel you need to share details on this one, but just 'yes, there's some chronic health issues, and they usually affect X' would be helpful data in suggesting options, if that's true.)

I have half a dozen chronic health issues on my diagnosis list, and one of the things I poke at when I try new ritual or magical things (in advance, ideally) is what the effects might be. Some stuff makes me more tired, some stuff can be a potential migraine trigger (which in my case usually results in neurological glitchiness more than pain, so if I'm not tracking carefully, it can be easy to mistake it in the earlier stages for being tired or a little sensitive.) Your stuff is probably different, but knowing what stuff might be at play helps.

A general note
    I will say hat there were stretches during more intensive parts of my own training (which was before my health crashed) when I just had to plan to take a day off after a new ritual thing, and take it easy for a day or two more - the best I could describe it was that my body was doing a lot of work, and I had to treat that the way I'd treat doing an unusual amount of physical effort.

Extra formal attention to the following helped, but time and rest were really important too:
    - Sensible food choices, especially foods that were more grounding.

- Avoiding things that might kick me into trance mode again quickly.

- Deliberately running through centering, grounding, and psychic hygiene steps, usually once right after ritual, once before bed that night, and at least once or twice the next day, plus my usual quick or routine stuff.

- Being attentive to what I was watching and listening to, to give myself things that were restorative.

- Making time for reading, quiet hobbies, and just curling up and not doing tons of stuff.
    Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold (my blog) :: http://gleewood.org/threshold
    Seeking (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism) :: http://gleewood.org/seeking

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ainellewellyn is a jewel in the rough ainellewellyn is a jewel in the rough ainellewellyn is a jewel in the rough ainellewellyn is a jewel in the rough ainellewellyn's Avatar
    Last Online
    28 Apr 2017 @ 01:12 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Otherfaith
    Pronouns
    She/he (either)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenett View Post
    Seconding the questions Jenett asked.

I would make sure that non-religiously/spiritually/magically you are taking care of yourself as best you can or in whatever ways work for you. Drinking water, eating, sleeping, etc. are all important and I tend to factor those in when feeling weird or especially tired after religious work.

I've also gotten ill from rituals where it seems I just should not have done them, such as when diviniation was leaning toward 'no' but I went ahead anyway or after I missed a certain timing but decided to go for it anyways. I wouldn't really say it was 'punishment' so much as my tapping into energies that didn't blend well with me. More recently I experience more of what Jenett mentioned re: needing to take a day off.

When I've starting work with very different energies/gods/spirits than I usually do I sometimes feel ill or under the weather too. Has to do with my body, physical and spiritual, adjusting to the differences.
    Last edited by Morag; 13 Feb 2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: fixing quote code
    Religious Blog - of the Other People
    Fandom Tumblr - Baby Book Bird
    "Hes looking at the stars when you see him."

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Mountain Cat is on a distinguished road Mountain Cat's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Druid Hedgewitch
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Jenett View Post
    For troubleshooting, it'd help to have a few more details, if you're comfortable sharing them. Some things that would probably be helpful info include:

- What kinds of things are you doing in the ritual?

And in specific, what's different about now versus when you weren't having problems - are there specific kinds of ritual acts or types of ritual you've added, for example?

- What kind of exhaustion and feeling ill is it?

Mild (or not so mild) nausea might suggest different things than feeling hypersensitive to light or noise. Likewise, there's different kinds of exhaustion or feeling tired - weakness and inability to move are different than 'I'm so tired I need to fall over' are different than brain fog or inability to do basic tasks comfortably.

- Are there any cyclical patterns?

For example, some people discover sometimes significant shifts in their energy when they start attuning to lunar cycles, and it can take a while to sort that out, so looking at patterns (is it every ritual or magical working you do? Only some of them?)

- Are there any health issues you deal with that might be relevant? (Don't feel you need to share details on this one, but just 'yes, there's some chronic health issues, and they usually affect X' would be helpful data in suggesting options, if that's true.)

I have half a dozen chronic health issues on my diagnosis list, and one of the things I poke at when I try new ritual or magical things (in advance, ideally) is what the effects might be. Some stuff makes me more tired, some stuff can be a potential migraine trigger (which in my case usually results in neurological glitchiness more than pain, so if I'm not tracking carefully, it can be easy to mistake it in the earlier stages for being tired or a little sensitive.) Your stuff is probably different, but knowing what stuff might be at play helps.

A general note
    I will say hat there were stretches during more intensive parts of my own training (which was before my health crashed) when I just had to plan to take a day off after a new ritual thing, and take it easy for a day or two more - the best I could describe it was that my body was doing a lot of work, and I had to treat that the way I'd treat doing an unusual amount of physical effort.

Extra formal attention to the following helped, but time and rest were really important too:
    - Sensible food choices, especially foods that were more grounding.

- Avoiding things that might kick me into trance mode again quickly.

- Deliberately running through centering, grounding, and psychic hygiene steps, usually once right after ritual, once before bed that night, and at least once or twice the next day, plus my usual quick or routine stuff.

- Being attentive to what I was watching and listening to, to give myself things that were restorative.

- Making time for reading, quiet hobbies, and just curling up and not doing tons of stuff.
    Wow, Jennet, thanks for this!

I have been doing longer rituals lately, now that I think about it, although my actual spellcasting is staying about the same. And the illness is pretty much everything you mentioned. I have a few chronic illnesses so maybe I'm over-extending myself?

Reading everything you've said (several times now, lol) I think maybe I might be running through things too fast and not taking the time to properly go through all the steps with care. I think I will take some time to go slowly over the basics of grounding, centering, energy raising and manipulation to make sure I'm doing it right.

It was when you said, "Deliberately running through centering, grounding, and psychic hygiene steps..." that I realised what part of my problem may be. I've got ADHD and I don't have much in the way of patience. I have a tendency to just get up and wander off for no real reason, so trying to work my way through a longer ritual can get rushed, leading me to mismanage my energy work.

I think it's back to 101 basics for a bit. I may also have to plan some serious aftercare for when I do longer rituals.

Thanks, this has helped me out a bit. I was worried that I had been forgetting a step, but it may be that I've just been getting ADHD about things.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Mountain Cat is on a distinguished road Mountain Cat's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Druid Hedgewitch
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by ainellewellyn View Post
    Seconding the questions Jenett asked.

I've also gotten ill from rituals where it seems I just should not have done them, such as when diviniation was leaning toward 'no' but I went ahead anyway or after I missed a certain timing but decided to go for it anyways. I wouldn't really say it was 'punishment' so much as my tapping into energies that didn't blend well with me. More recently I experience more of what Jenett mentioned re: needing to take a day off.
    I haven't thought to check with divination as to the timing of rituals. Awesome idea! I've always just done them when I have time and feel well enough. This might be a big help. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread