Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Exhaustion and Illness after Rituals  (Read 3886 times)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Exhaustion and Illness after Rituals
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:08:01 pm »
Hi,

Lately I've found myself being completely wiped out and ill feeling for days after doing rituals and magic and I don't know why. I'm wondering if I'm missing a step or doing something wrong.

I'm at Druid level in OBOD and I've been doing rituals and spells for a fair while, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong right now. I know this was also an issue for me when I first started, but then it went away.

Maybe I'm not grounding correctly after, or maybe I'm building too much energy, not enough or I'm building it in the wrong way (does that make any sense?)

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this a bit? I'm going to go over some of my beginner level books to see if I'm not missing something, but it feels like something 'not beginner', if that makes any sense.

Any help is much appreciated.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Exhaustion and Illness after Rituals
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:48:33 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;202597

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this a bit? I'm going to go over some of my beginner level books to see if I'm not missing something, but it feels like something 'not beginner', if that makes any sense.

For troubleshooting, it'd help to have a few more details, if you're comfortable sharing them. Some things that would probably be helpful info include:

- What kinds of things are you doing in the ritual?

And in specific, what's different about now versus when you weren't having problems - are there specific kinds of ritual acts or types of ritual you've added, for example?

- What kind of exhaustion and feeling ill is it?

Mild (or not so mild) nausea might suggest different things than feeling hypersensitive to light or noise. Likewise, there's different kinds of exhaustion or feeling tired - weakness and inability to move are different than 'I'm so tired I need to fall over' are different than brain fog or inability to do basic tasks comfortably.

- Are there any cyclical patterns?

For example, some people discover sometimes significant shifts in their energy when they start attuning to lunar cycles, and it can take a while to sort that out, so looking at patterns (is it every ritual or magical working you do? Only some of them?)

- Are there any health issues you deal with that might be relevant? (Don't feel you need to share details on this one, but just 'yes, there's some chronic health issues, and they usually affect X' would be helpful data in suggesting options, if that's true.)

I have half a dozen chronic health issues on my diagnosis list, and one of the things I poke at when I try new ritual or magical things (in advance, ideally) is what the effects might be. Some stuff makes me more tired, some stuff can be a potential migraine trigger (which in my case usually results in neurological glitchiness more than pain, so if I'm not tracking carefully, it can be easy to mistake it in the earlier stages for being tired or a little sensitive.) Your stuff is probably different, but knowing what stuff might be at play helps.

A general note
I will say hat there were stretches during more intensive parts of my own training (which was before my health crashed) when I just had to plan to take a day off after a new ritual thing, and take it easy for a day or two more - the best I could describe it was that my body was doing a lot of work, and I had to treat that the way I'd treat doing an unusual amount of physical effort.

Extra formal attention to the following helped, but time and rest were really important too:
- Sensible food choices, especially foods that were more grounding.

- Avoiding things that might kick me into trance mode again quickly.

- Deliberately running through centering, grounding, and psychic hygiene steps, usually once right after ritual, once before bed that night, and at least once or twice the next day, plus my usual quick or routine stuff.

- Being attentive to what I was watching and listening to, to give myself things that were restorative.

- Making time for reading, quiet hobbies, and just curling up and not doing tons of stuff.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:54:59 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;202599

Seconding the questions Jenett asked.

I would make sure that non-religiously/spiritually/magically you are taking care of yourself as best you can or in whatever ways work for you. Drinking water, eating, sleeping, etc. are all important and I tend to factor those in when feeling weird or especially tired after religious work.

I've also gotten ill from rituals where it seems I just should not have done them, such as when diviniation was leaning toward 'no' but I went ahead anyway or after I missed a certain timing but decided to go for it anyways. I wouldn't really say it was 'punishment' so much as my tapping into energies that didn't blend well with me. More recently I experience more of what Jenett mentioned re: needing to take a day off.

When I've starting work with very different energies/gods/spirits than I usually do I sometimes feel ill or under the weather too. Has to do with my body, physical and spiritual, adjusting to the differences.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:28:26 pm by Morag »

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:38:19 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;202599
For troubleshooting, it'd help to have a few more details, if you're comfortable sharing them. Some things that would probably be helpful info include:

And in specific, what's different about now versus when you weren't having problems - are there specific kinds of ritual acts or types of ritual you've added, for example?

Mild (or not so mild) nausea might suggest different things than feeling hypersensitive to light or noise. Likewise, there's different kinds of exhaustion or feeling tired - weakness and inability to move are different than 'I'm so tired I need to fall over' are different than brain fog or inability to do basic tasks comfortably.

For example, some people discover sometimes significant shifts in their energy when they start attuning to lunar cycles, and it can take a while to sort that out, so looking at patterns (is it every ritual or magical working you do? Only some of them?)

- Are there any health issues you deal with that might be relevant? (Don't feel you need to share details on this one, but just 'yes, there's some chronic health issues, and they usually affect X' would be helpful data in suggesting options, if that's true.)

I have half a dozen chronic health issues on my diagnosis list, and one of the things I poke at when I try new ritual or magical things (in advance, ideally) is what the effects might be. Some stuff makes me more tired, some stuff can be a potential migraine trigger (which in my case usually results in neurological glitchiness more than pain, so if I'm not tracking carefully, it can be easy to mistake it in the earlier stages for being tired or a little sensitive.) Your stuff is probably different, but knowing what stuff might be at play helps.

A general note
I will say hat there were stretches during more intensive parts of my own training (which was before my health crashed) when I just had to plan to take a day off after a new ritual thing, and take it easy for a day or two more - the best I could describe it was that my body was doing a lot of work, and I had to treat that the way I'd treat doing an unusual amount of physical effort.

Extra formal attention to the following helped, but time and rest were really important too:

- Deliberately running through centering, grounding, and psychic hygiene steps, usually once right after ritual, once before bed that night, and at least once or twice the next day, plus my usual quick or routine stuff.

- Being attentive to what I was watching and listening to, to give myself things that were restorative.

- Making time for reading, quiet hobbies, and just curling up and not doing tons of stuff.

Wow, Jennet, thanks for this!

I have been doing longer rituals lately, now that I think about it, although my actual spellcasting is staying about the same. And the illness is pretty much everything you mentioned. I have a few chronic illnesses so maybe I'm over-extending myself?

Reading everything you've said (several times now, lol) I think maybe I might be running through things too fast and not taking the time to properly go through all the steps with care. I think I will take some time to go slowly over the basics of grounding, centering, energy raising and manipulation to make sure I'm doing it right.

It was when you said, "Deliberately running through centering, grounding, and psychic hygiene steps..." that I realised what part of my problem may be. I've got ADHD and I don't have much in the way of patience. I have a tendency to just get up and wander off for no real reason, so trying to work my way through a longer ritual can get rushed, leading me to mismanage my energy work.

I think it's back to 101 basics for a bit. I may also have to plan some serious aftercare for when I do longer rituals.

Thanks, this has helped me out a bit. I was worried that I had been forgetting a step, but it may be that I've just been getting ADHD about things.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »
Quote from: ainellewellyn;202600
Seconding the questions Jenett asked.

I've also gotten ill from rituals where it seems I just should not have done them, such as when diviniation was leaning toward 'no' but I went ahead anyway or after I missed a certain timing but decided to go for it anyways. I wouldn't really say it was 'punishment' so much as my tapping into energies that didn't blend well with me. More recently I experience more of what Jenett mentioned re: needing to take a day off.

I haven't thought to check with divination as to the timing of rituals. Awesome idea! I've always just done them when I have time and feel well enough. This might be a big help. Thanks.

Solstice2989

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Working on it
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:36:40 pm »

A general note

Hi, I'm relatively new here but this may be worth some consideration. I second much of what has been said but would like to add something i came upon in my reading some time ago. Consider that your own body contains within it a series of cups or cauldrons, the innermost that holds the soul constantly pours out energy. this energy filled each until it overflows into the second. the last and largest cauldron's overflow represents the energy that sustains our body's energy network in general. when we channel energy from what ever anchor we use, it necessarily mingles with this as we give it purpose and redirect it. any imbalance in this field after a working can lead to exhaustion or hyperactivity depending on how much or how little is left over. keeping too much in puts pressure on this system. using too much of your own depletes this cauldron and leads to ritual exhaustion.

i hope that helps a bit, i can't for the life of me remember where i read it

-Solstice

Ecco

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ford.rachel
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:29 am »
Hi,

Lately I've found myself being completely wiped out and ill feeling for days after doing rituals and magic and I don't know why. I'm wondering if I'm missing a step or doing something wrong.

I'm at Druid level in OBOD and I've been doing rituals and spells for a fair while, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong right now. I know this was also an issue for me when I first started, but then it went away.

Maybe I'm not grounding correctly after, or maybe I'm building too much energy, not enough or I'm building it in the wrong way (does that make any sense?)

Any help is much appreciated.

So much of what I was thinking about posting has been mentioned by Jenett and others, but I was wondering if you eat after you do a ritual? I find it very difficult to ground and my whole body can become tense and frayed at the seams easily after a ritual - it's like I set off a rocket under me and there is no eject button to allow me to fall back to the ground. I found that eating a meal after a ritual really helps absorb that energy back into my body's core so I'm not an energetic loose cannon and thus risk falling into exhaustion from too much energy leaking out after the ritual ends.

Auntie Cosmos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »
So much of what I was thinking about posting has been mentioned by Jenett and others, but I was wondering if you eat after you do a ritual? I find it very difficult to ground and my whole body can become tense and frayed at the seams easily after a ritual - it's like I set off a rocket under me and there is no eject button to allow me to fall back to the ground. I found that eating a meal after a ritual really helps absorb that energy back into my body's core so I'm not an energetic loose cannon and thus risk falling into exhaustion from too much energy leaking out after the ritual ends.

I recently have moved from solitary natural magic to training in high magic with a group.  We always eat together after meetings and I have been experiencing the same exhaustion and fatigue.  I wonder if certain foods are more grounding than others.  Our meals are usually vegetarian.
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves for we shall never cease to be amused.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 03:20:15 pm »
I recently have moved from solitary natural magic to training in high magic with a group.  We always eat together after meetings and I have been experiencing the same exhaustion and fatigue.  I wonder if certain foods are more grounding than others.  Our meals are usually vegetarian.

Generally, foods that require more energy to digest tend to be more grounding than others - for no other reason than that they center you more firmly in your physical body's processes.

I need more protein to be a happy person than I can manage on a vegetarian diet anyway (bodies, so very individual), and after complex ritual, I tend to particularly both want and do better with more of it.

For example: I don't often eat red meat at home, but my routine meal after complex ritual when I was training was a good solid hamburger or sometimes steak, which has long suggested to me that it's more than just the protein, but that my body may be wanting more iron and other such things.

Some things to explore might be meat, nuts, or dense carbohydrates (aim for more fiber, generally.) 

Some people find they have a hard time wanting food after complex ritual: in these cases, a little something sweet can help, or a square of good chocolate, or something simple like nuts or a bit of cheese, and then you can try other foods.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:10:09 pm »
I wonder if certain foods are more grounding than others.  Our meals are usually vegetarian.

I certainly can't do magical heavy lifting on vegetarian meals.

(I am now pondering a "magical group compatibility" checklist that includes things like "Are your magical heavy lifting meal requirements similar?")
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Crystalline

• View Profile
  • Religion: Omniist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:10:40 am »

^^^  This. Like any other activity, doing a ritual is the use of energy. 'Heavier' rituals and spells require more effort and energy use, thus more complex nutrition.

I noticed that Mountain Cat posted this thread, originally, in February. That is a rough time of year for those that live on the winter side/cold climates. It's easier to become drained by ritual during winter months because of thicker blood and vitamin D deficiency. I can always notice a marked difference between how I feel after the summer solstice ritual, as compared to how I feel after the Yule ritual. Vitamin D, B, and C supplements are always a good idea during the winter to help not feel so drained and tired in general!

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 04:45:26 pm »

(I am now pondering a "magical group compatibility" checklist that includes things like "Are your magical heavy lifting meal requirements similar?")

Same here.  I've always found after more lighter magic a chocolate bar and cup of mugwort tea is just the ticket.  But if I do seriously heavy magic, I go for a piece of rare steak.  I usually eat my steak med-rare with just a bit of pink in the middle, but if I've done some heavy magic, I want it dripping with blood and just browned on the outside.  But that's just me.

When I get together when my half coven† and after we've completed our ritual, we usually have a large feast together.  I find the laughter and good food really helps.  We usually have rare steaks, sweet potatoes, pastas, lots of what might be considered "comfort foods". 

†: I say half coven here because we don't function truly as a coven, but only on certain occasion.  We have the network of friends that a coven would support, but without the fully commitment of a regular coven.  More of an alliance between independent practitioners for a mutual good.
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 06:12:17 pm »
... I usually eat my steak med-rare with just a bit of pink in the middle....

This is super-nitpicky, and I wouldn't mention it at all, but since I'm replying to another bit of your post, I have an inquiry. Did you mean to say 'medium-well'? Because 'just a bit of pink in the middle' doesn't sound like med-rare to me.

†: I say half coven here because we don't function truly as a coven, but only on certain occasion.  We have the network of friends that a coven would support, but without the fully commitment of a regular coven.  More of an alliance between independent practitioners for a mutual good.

If you'll forgive a bit of uphill-both-ways from an old pagan... such groups used to typically be called 'circles'. It's a little confusing, with 'circle' also referring to the one that gets cast, but it sure beats not having a term!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 06:39:08 pm »
This is super-nitpicky, and I wouldn't mention it at all, but since I'm replying to another bit of your post, I have an inquiry. Did you mean to say 'medium-well'? Because 'just a bit of pink in the middle' doesn't sound like med-rare to me.

If you'll forgive a bit of uphill-both-ways from an old pagan... such groups used to typically be called 'circles'. It's a little confusing, with 'circle' also referring to the one that gets cast, but it sure beats not having a term!

Sunflower

Somewhere in between rare-med-well.  Something like that. 

And yes, a circle is probably a better term. I was a bit rushed and flustered and couldn't think of a better word. 
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Tags: