collapse

Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street protests turn chaotic, violent  (Read 7328 times)

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street protests turn chaotic, violent
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 06:59:47 am »
Quote from: Altair;23764
I was originally dismissive of this protest. It didn't seem to have any specific, acheivable goals or focus...which to me made it is an exercise in masturbation, rather than a useful protest.

And what are their goals and focus now?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 06:14:08 pm »
Quote from: sailor;24032
And what are their goals and focus now?

Too many to count; seems as if people are there for different reasons.  
Maybe the NY protests started out peaceful, but in other parts of the country it's not the same story.  

In San Diego, a least a couple of food carts were vandalized when their owners stopped giving out free food.  One of them (the carts, not people) was splattered with blood & urine.

A few nights ago, eyewitnesses in Oakland confirmed that the violence there was provoked by people throwing bottles at cops.

Just saw a news feed from Oregon, some guy in a bandanna shouting epithets and getting in everyone's face.  Looked like he was trying to provoke a response, to get someone to hit him so he could cry 'violence.'  
One of the people in the crowd (presumably an Occupier) was wearing an Ecko hoodie and holding a Starbucks cup in one hand.  Not very anti-capitalist or anti-corporate of the chap, is it?  

This keeps up, and there will be blood.  And, unfortunately, the 'Occupiers' will have brought it upon themselves.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:15:10 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;29558
Too many to count; seems as if people are there for different reasons.  
Maybe the NY protests started out peaceful, but in other parts of the country it's not the same story.  

Don't forget the antisemitism at protests in a number of cities.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 07:50:08 pm »
Quote from: sailor;29571
Don't forget the antisemitism at protests in a number of cities.

New to me, but not surprising.  :sick:
This movement is bringing all types out of the wood-work.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 09:23:39 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;29572
New to me, but not surprising.  :sick:
This movement is bringing all types out of the wood-work.

Their original intent may have been good, but now all the crazies are pouring into the streets.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 11:26:45 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;29585
Their original intent may have been good, but now all the crazies are pouring into the streets.

Seems the dozen or so "leaders" in NYC have realized this and have taken control of the roughly $500,000 in donations to prevent the overall group from deciding how it should be spent.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 11:42:49 pm »
Quote from: sailor;29601
Seems the dozen or so "leaders" in NYC have realized this and have taken control of the roughly $500,000 in donations to prevent the overall group from deciding how it should be spent.

My only thing is, I mean I have problems with the government and wall street to, but I have something called a job I have to go to 5 days a week for 10 hours a day. Where do these people find the time to do this stuff?
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 12:17:26 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;29585

That's what concerns me.  The problem is that the crazies are ruining it for the people with the good original intent.  For many of the organizers, non-violence was a major part of their credo.  Unfortunately, they can't exactly approve/decline admittance into the protests.  People just show up.  

I want to make it to Occupy Denver this weekend. \My thinking is:  enough sane people will keep the crazy people at bay.

It's kind of like with Paganism.  Some people think we're freaks because the most outspoken members are the ones who are in it for the attention.  :(

Same goes for radical right-wing Christians like Wesoboro Baptist church.  Most Christians aren't like that, but the radicals ruin the reputation of the whole group.
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »
Quote from: Nehet;29657
That's what concerns me.  The problem is that the crazies are ruining it for the people with the good original intent.  For many of the organizers, non-violence was a major part of their credo.  Unfortunately, they can't exactly approve/decline admittance into the protests.  People just show up.  

Well, the organizers could start by asking the women who have been sexually assaulted in the occupy camps to turn in the attackers to the police.  That would get one group of crazies out of the mix.

They could expel those members of the encampment that decide that random tents make good toilets.

They could have people who huddle around the crazies and denounce the signs / etc the crazies are carrying by using their own signs.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 10:07:32 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;29602
My only thing is, I mean I have problems with the government and wall street to, but I have something called a job I have to go to 5 days a week for 10 hours a day. Where do these people find the time to do this stuff?

There are many different ways to protest against a faulty system. Some go to walks and in-person protests, other e-mail or phone legislative members, others sign petitions, others reblog information posts, others donate food and money... Not everyone has to be out there to make a difference.

From what I also understand here in Winnipeg is that there are people who go to school or work during the day and then return afterwards to the Occupy camp. This may be happening in other places as well.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;29975
There are many different ways to protest against a faulty system. Some go to walks and in-person protests, other e-mail or phone legislative members, others sign petitions, others reblog information posts, others donate food and money... Not everyone has to be out there to make a difference.

From what I also understand here in Winnipeg is that there are people who go to school or work during the day and then return afterwards to the Occupy camp. This may be happening in other places as well.

Occupy Denver is really big on the weekends.  Lots of people work during the week, and stand with the protests on the weekends.

So far, I still haven't made it out there due to lack of a car.  Only my money has made it out there.  I figure every little bit helps.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:15:37 pm by Nehet »
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 06:03:53 pm »
This just came up on my Tumblr dash:

Latest Occupy Portland news: Eviction order has been issued, and riot police are now at the camp site to remove protestors.

Live feed via ABC news can be found here: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/livenow?id=8430357
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 06:04:28 pm by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;29602

That sounds awfully close to "damn hippies should get a job."  

A lot of these people probably come up to the protests before &/or after work, but with such high un- and under-employment, it's no surprise there's a lotta people with nothing but time.
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 01:22:49 pm »
Quote from: Pyperlie;31144
A lot of these people probably come up to the protests before &/or after work, but with such high un- and under-employment, it's no surprise there's a lotta people with nothing but time.

You beat me to it.  With the national unemployment rate at around 9%.  If I were unemployed, I'd probably be out there too.

Brina

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;31213
You beat me to it.  With the national unemployment rate at around 9%.  If I were unemployed, I'd probably be out there too.

Brina

Occupy LA was recently cleared out by the cops.  The area where they squatted the last several weeks is utterly destroyed.  
Things left behind include bottles and bottles of urine, and a metric load of... well... shit.  Seems also the camp had a plague of lice.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: