Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Rune casting questions  (Read 1915 times)

EboLikeRambo247

• View Profile
Rune casting questions
« on: February 11, 2017, 05:52:30 pm »
I'm currently building my rune set (collecting all needed materials). I just have a few questions I could use outside opinions on.

1st is about the casting cloth itself. I've been looking at different designs and such and I'm finding a lot of diversity. Of course everyone has something different that works for them. I'm using elder futhark and I found a layout with the 9 Norse Realms (attached picture). Not too sure how to proceed as far as the cloth goes.

2nd is about the wood I'm using for my crafted set. My Grandfather had this cherry wood sitting in his shop for 30 years waiting to be used but never did because it's so hard. It then sat in storage for another 20 years until I take one of the pieces. I know this isn't ritualizing the act of taking the wood but after this much time and how much time my Grandfather spent woodworking in close proximity I kind of feel like a bit of him would have rubbed off on it. Should I ritualize taking the wood from a tree or just use what I have?

Lastly is more about technique. I've read about people drawing from the bag, pouring out of the bag, different spreads, ect. I'll probably just draw from the bag myself but I'd like some feedback from those of you who have actually practiced for a while.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Rune casting questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 12:24:08 pm »
Quote from: EboLikeRambo247;202550
I'm currently building my rune set (collecting all needed materials). I just have a few questions I could use outside opinions on.

1st is about the casting cloth itself. I've been looking at different designs and such and I'm finding a lot of diversity. Of course everyone has something different that works for them. I'm using elder futhark and I found a layout with the 9 Norse Realms (attached picture). Not too sure how to proceed as far as the cloth goes.

2nd is about the wood I'm using for my crafted set. My Grandfather had this cherry wood sitting in his shop for 30 years waiting to be used but never did because it's so hard. It then sat in storage for another 20 years until I take one of the pieces. I know this isn't ritualizing the act of taking the wood but after this much time and how much time my Grandfather spent woodworking in close proximity I kind of feel like a bit of him would have rubbed off on it. Should I ritualize taking the wood from a tree or just use what I have?

Lastly is more about technique. I've read about people drawing from the bag, pouring out of the bag, different spreads, ect. I'll probably just draw from the bag myself but I'd like some feedback from those of you who have actually practiced for a while.

There is a lot of variety in how people use their Runes and what they make them out of.  

I personally have four different sets of Futhark runes:  one is a commercial set etched into rose quartz (which was a gift), one is a set of 4 6-sided dice that have runes burnt on them (also a gift, but handmade by a dear friend), one is on pebbles I found outside my door with the runes painted on in nail polish, and the final one is carved (by me) on small bone staves (that were originally money markers in a MahJong set)

Some of my earliest exposure to casting runes was someone physically 'casting' a set of staves, so I knew that I wanted staves that I could toss and interpret.  I found the bone markers and thought they would be good (back when I was still in high school).  Carving them was a long, tedious process, which took tons of time (and many breaks because I would get frustrated).  I do think it was worth it in the end, and they are now carved (though not yet finished, I still have a few things I want to do to them...but they are definitely usable).  I definitely love being able to cast them the way I envisioned.

The rune stones I have I like for when I want to use runes to mark a circle or otherwise use them as representations.  They are fine for drawing a couple out of a bag for simple readings, and I do cast them (the rose quartz ones are bigger, so it takes some careful attention to hold them all at once for a proper cast), but I miss the shape of the staves and the additional information I get from that.

The dice I love for single daily runes (I draw one every morning).  I also have used them in conjunction with another rune set as a sort of 'pay attention to these runes' kind of thing.  The downfall to the rune dice is that each die has six runes on it, so some runes will never come up together.

I don't use a dedicated casting cloth, though I do often carry a handkerchief to cast on.  This lets me set a boundary for my reading (and protect my runes from whatever surface I am casting on).  And it makes it easy to gather them up at the end.  I do like the pattern on the cloth you shared though, I think it would make for interesting readings.

I fall very much in the camp of "do what works for you."  For me, staves worked, and bone clicks with me.  My simple pebble set was made with the intention of being sturdy and portable, something I could carry anywhere and not worry about them getting damaged or lost.  It was definitely a working set.

I think that the wood that you described would be fine for you, it sounds like you have a connection to it.  

As far as spreads go, my advice would be to try different methods and see what works best for you.  I rarely use spreads for my runes (though I do for Tarot and Oracle decks), I prefer to cast or just draw a small number in answer to specific questions.  

For me, the reason I like casting over pulling is that I look at how the staves fall as part of my reading.  So not only do I look at which runes fell face up, but also what patterns the staves themselves make with each other.  I will consider the relationship between runes that are touching and runes that are all by themselves.  I also look at how face-down staves cluster together.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
Re: Rune casting questions
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:10:20 am »
Quote from: EboLikeRambo247;202550

According to what I've read on the topic, the Germanic peoples were not really nailed down to one spot. So depending on what you wish to accomplish, the kinds of readings you want to perform, just taking the wood is sufficient. Some folks say that the wood should be deadfall and not harvested living from a tree, but it's up to you and your personal beliefs. Since you didn't do the original harvesting I suppose that your act would count as a deadfall harvest.

As for the cloth, the only source I ever found that I paid any heed to said the cloth should be solid white and clean. My personal experience says the Runes give no care for where They lie, so long as you pay Them their due.

A bit of information though, on the creation of them...

I have read elsewhere, and had similar experiences personally, that how you create the Runes affects the kind of readings you get, down to the accuracy of them.

Simply burning the symbols into the wood will create a destructive set. Even I'm not quite crazy enough to willingly and knowingly use such a set. I suggest cutting in the Runes by hand first, or using an engraver or dremel to do so; then follow behind that with a woodburner. [TIP: Get a soft art eraser to follow behind the burner instead of sandpaper. It'll remove all the scorch marks a lot faster and won't damage the wood surface if you rub too hard or long.] Also, be sure you are calling to Them as you cut and burn each one into the wood. All strokes should be in a downward motion. Learn about each Rune beforehand and focus on the general energy or feeling of each as you call to Them and cut Their symbol into the wood.

Second, bonding your set to yourself. You can do this by offering a part of yourself to each Rune. I'm told that any bodily fluid will work, but blood is best. What fluid you use and how you obtain it could, I suppose, also have an impact on the overall energy of your set. The idea being that first, the Runes are spirits, and as such require an offering or sacrifice to work best, and second, by doing so you prove that you're willing to give something in return - which is a major thing in the culture where the Runes come from. You give a gift for a gift. Just be sure no one uses your personal set except you if you bond them to yourself.

Personally, I blooded my set after I used it for a while. Yes, Their accuracy and all went way up after that. I ended up making a second set to use with other people to be sure that no one else would ever use mine. In fact, I keep mine hidden away to further insure that my hands are the only ones to touch Them.

I hope this helps and of course, feel free to ask questions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:13:09 am by Skumring »
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

Tags: