Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Bringing spirituality to work  (Read 1757 times)

rubyred

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Bringing spirituality to work
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:48:45 pm »
Hello all. I recently got a new job, I am a massage therapist and the main thing that really bothers me at work is the room I work in. It's empty, there's no air flow, everything feels stagnant and I'm trying to think of ways to perk it up to keep myself inspired throughout the day.

The thing is, I don't want this room to look all new agey. It's a very tiny room, and I don't have a ton of money to spend. I can't hang anything up on the walls, I'm pretty much limited to a tiny counter and at the most I could bring in a small end table or something.

I'm very inspired by Norse symbolism, but I don't want to do anything obviously pagan because of the diverse clientele I see - don't want to offend anyone!

Anyone have any ideas for a discreet, small work altar?

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
Re: Bringing spirituality to work
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:23:39 pm »
Quote from: rubyred;202537
Hello all. I recently got a new job, I am a massage therapist and the main thing that really bothers me at work is the room I work in. It's empty, there's no air flow, everything feels stagnant and I'm trying to think of ways to perk it up to keep myself inspired throughout the day.

The thing is, I don't want this room to look all new agey. It's a very tiny room, and I don't have a ton of money to spend. I can't hang anything up on the walls, I'm pretty much limited to a tiny counter and at the most I could bring in a small end table or something.

I'm very inspired by Norse symbolism, but I don't want to do anything obviously pagan because of the diverse clientele I see - don't want to offend anyone!

Anyone have any ideas for a discreet, small work altar?

Well, if you're wanting Norse symbolism, you could find a tree decoration to represent Yggdrasil, the World Tree. For example, something like this.

http://orig15.deviantart.net/f926/f/2010/007/1/4/crystal_tree_by_miriele.jpg

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 04:54:29 am »

Could you hang a mobile from the ceiling to get some movement going?

rubyred

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 11:03:29 am »
Quote from: Nic an Dair;202538
Well, if you're wanting Norse symbolism, you could find a tree decoration to represent Yggdrasil, the World Tree. For example, something like this.

http://orig15.deviantart.net/f926/f/2010/007/1/4/crystal_tree_by_miriele.jpg

I love this idea!! It just looks like any old tree :)

rubyred

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:04:55 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;202542
Could you hang a mobile from the ceiling to get some movement going?

I like the idea but but there's no place to hang anything. I was thinking maybe a small fan would do the trick.

Also curious how other people make their workspace sacred!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:05:45 am by rubyred »

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 11:34:39 am »
Quote from: rubyred;202547
I like the idea but but there's no place to hang anything. I was thinking maybe a small fan would do the trick.

Another idea is having an electric wax melter to symbolize a hearth. It puts out a nice scent and gives the area a cozy feeling.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 08:54:01 am »
Quote from: rubyred;202547

I like Nic an Dair's suggestion for an electric wax melter, I doubt anyone would query it's presence as most will just assume it's there to give off a nice, relaxing fragrance.

For another option for fragrance without pagan connotations I guess you could also go for a reed diffuser (you can also get flower shaped ones), though this wouldn't necessarily tackle the stagnant-air feeling by itself.

I also like the tree ornament Nic an Dair linked.

Unfortunately in my office we have hot-desking and a clear desk policy meaning anything I put on my desk in the morning has to be packed away each afternoon when I leave so I tend not to bother (there's enough to pack up as it is & I always leave myself insufficient time in which to do it).  I wonder if anyone would take issue with it if I decorated the front of my locker, though (would have to be exceptionally subtle, or perhaps I should just stick to doing the inside).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:55:59 am by Pickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

rubyred

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:28:17 pm »
Quote from: Nic an Dair;202549
Another idea is having an electric wax melter to symbolize a hearth. It puts out a nice scent and gives the area a cozy feeling.

Absolutely love this idea, so I just went out and bought an electric wax melter! Thanks for the idea! Also got a fan to move things around a bit. Now I'll have to hunt down some kind of tree. Now I'm actually looking forward to working in my new cozy space.

rubyred

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 03:32:00 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;202564
I like Nic an Dair's suggestion for an electric wax melter, I doubt anyone would query it's presence as most will just assume it's there to give off a nice, relaxing fragrance.

For another option for fragrance without pagan connotations I guess you could also go for a reed diffuser (you can also get flower shaped ones), though this wouldn't necessarily tackle the stagnant-air feeling by itself.

I also like the tree ornament Nic an Dair linked.

Unfortunately in my office we have hot-desking and a clear desk policy meaning anything I put on my desk in the morning has to be packed away each afternoon when I leave so I tend not to bother (there's enough to pack up as it is & I always leave myself insufficient time in which to do it).  I wonder if anyone would take issue with it if I decorated the front of my locker, though (would have to be exceptionally subtle, or perhaps I should just stick to doing the inside).

I do like the reed diffuser idea! I'm a fan of secretly inscribing things with runes so maybe I could add some runes to the little wooden sticks ;)

That's too bad you have to move everything off your desk at the end of the day. I always feel more energized and productive at work when I'm able to create a nice environment for myself.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 05:33:44 pm »
Quote from: rubyred;202574
I do like the reed diffuser idea! I'm a fan of secretly inscribing things with runes so maybe I could add some runes to the little wooden sticks ;)

I've never had one of them (as a cat owner, I've always been worried it'd get knocked over, spill and stain everything) but I think the reeds are kind of tiny so could be rather fiddly to do, but you could maybe add a rune or runes to the little vase thingy.

Or, as you've now got yourself a wax melter, rune/s could be carefully added to the unit, using some heat resistant paint or something (the rune/s could go on the underside if necessary to keep out of sight of the customers).

Very glad to hear you're excited about your work space now  :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 06:55:21 pm »
It's empty, there's no air flow, everything feels stagnant and I'm trying to think of ways to perk it up to keep myself inspired throughout the day.

In practical as well as spiritual terms, I'd suggest a plant. You didn't say if you had a window, but a lot of plants sold as houseplants do fairly well in low light. It would improve air quality and also make the space look more inviting.

I work a desk job, and I have my computer wallpapers set to spiritually-relevant pictures; I also have a little figurine of Sokar (a deity who is relevant to my work) perched on top of my monitor. It just looks like a bird to those who don't know what it is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

rubyred

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:53 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;202611
In practical as well as spiritual terms, I'd suggest a plant. You didn't say if you had a window, but a lot of plants sold as houseplants do fairly well in low light. It would improve air quality and also make the space look more inviting.

I work a desk job, and I have my computer wallpapers set to spiritually-relevant pictures; I also have a little figurine of Sokar (a deity who is relevant to my work) perched on top of my monitor. It just looks like a bird to those who don't know what it is.

A plant is a great idea! There is a window (which looks out into the woods which i love) so yes something that requires little sunlight would be perfect.

I like your spiritual desktop photo idea. I've done the same thing while working desk jobs. I also have my phone lock screen set to a picture of the full moon from just the other night.

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 03:16:04 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;202611

Seconded!  I work for a Christian company, so I try to be really low-key about my symbolism in the workplace.  I've got a lovely set of succulents on my desk that helps me bring a spiritual connection to my office without it being too overt.

I also have added some photo prints that are stunning; you might find a local photographer in your area who has captured some of the natural beauty who sells prints!

Tags: