Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Calling on Freyja  (Read 1186 times)

Blu3Wanderer

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Calling on Freyja
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:42:35 pm »
Hi all! After several months of swearing up and down I would only explore secular paths, Freyja continues to pop up in everything I read and feels to be beckoning me.

I have never approached a goddess (or God for that matter) in an un-Christian manner, and my direct sitting down and meditating doesn't seem to be effecctive. What would be a better way to begin a working relationship with her?

Any advice/information from those who work with Freyja would be greatly appreciated!

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Calling on Freyja
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:57:29 pm »
Quote from: Blu3Wanderer;202530
Hi all! After several months of swearing up and down I would only explore secular paths, Freyja continues to pop up in everything I read and feels to be beckoning me.

I have never approached a goddess (or God for that matter) in an un-Christian manner, and my direct sitting down and meditating doesn't seem to be effecctive. What would be a better way to begin a working relationship with her?

Any advice/information from those who work with Freyja would be greatly appreciated!

Freya is one of the most important deities to me, but I think my approach to her may be a bit different than what you're looking for. I make weekly offerings to Freya, and recite prayers of praise (though I've never really asked her for anything in particular - I tend to go to my ancestors in those situations), but I don't really think about "approaching" her or trying to create a more personal relationship.

However, I don't think there is any harm, especially if you are trying to establish a more personal relationship with a deity, in beginning by making an offering. Germanic deities were often offered alcoholic beverages, so mead or wine might be a good place to start.

Though I don't agree with everything the following author says, she does seem to have put a lot of work into her relationship with Freya, and you may find something there which is useful to you.

https://thegoldthread.wordpress.com/
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:36:46 am »
...................and my direct sitting down and meditating doesn't seem to be effecctive. What would be a better way to begin a working relationship with her?

Meditaion is effective, but take it a time. For example hindu Bhaktiyogis used medtation, see Ramakrishna and his vision of Kali. In ancient Egypt and Greece used to accelerate meditation before bedtime. See translantion magical papyri.
Good is meditation on a name of a god, or goddess. And to watch your breath.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 12:44:12 pm »
Quote from: Lumpino;202588
Meditaion is effective, but take it a time. For example hindu Bhaktiyogis used medtation, see Ramakrishna and his vision of Kali.

Which might demonstrate the effectiveness of meditation on a deity with respect to Hinduism, but says nothing either way about the effectiveness of meditation on a deity in a heathen context.

I'm not saying meditation can't be effective for building a relationship with a Norse deity, just that the situations don't automatically parallel each other - and that, when someone tells me they've found meditation (or any other technique) ineffective for themselves and what they're trying to achieve, I generally believe them, rather than telling them they're wrong about their own experience.

In ancient Egypt and Greece used to accelerate meditation before bedtime. See translantion magical papyri.

The PGM refer specifically to the syncretistic milieu of Greco-Roman Egypt; they're not a reliable source for what was done in Egypt or prior to ~2nd century BCE, nor what was done in Greece at all.

I don't know what you mean by 'accelerate meditation'.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:01:37 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202589
Which might demonstrate the effectiveness of meditation on a deity with respect to Hinduism, but says nothing either way about the effectiveness of meditation on a deity in a heathen context.

I'm not saying meditation can't be effective for building a relationship with a Norse deity, just that the situations don't automatically parallel each other - and that, when someone tells me they've found meditation (or any other technique) ineffective for themselves and what they're trying to achieve, I generally believe them, rather than telling them they're wrong about their own experience.

The PGM refer specifically to the syncretistic milieu of Greco-Roman Egypt; they're not a reliable source for what was done in Egypt or prior to ~2nd century BCE, nor what was done in Greece at all.

I don't know what you mean by 'accelerate meditation'.

Sunflower

I sort of go in to a meditative state automatically when watching something. but going on about meditation I just don't seem to have the time.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:59:25 am »

Freyja is a pre-Christian Norse deity and meditation was not a method employed by the Heathens to honour their deities, but I think you have already found that from personal practice. Heathenry was and is a votive religion, we offer to our god/esses., common offerings are food, alcohol and in Freyja's case love poetry.

I would also recommend reading the myths and some academic articles discussing Freyja. You can read all Norse myths here:

https://www.northvegr.org
And there is an excellent article you can download here:

https://thegoldthread.wordpress.com/the-cult-of-freyr-and-freya-by-williams-reaves/

Blu3Wanderer

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:14:32 am »
Quote from: Hildeburh;202638
Freyja is a pre-Christian Norse deity and meditation was not a method employed by the Heathens to honour their deities, but I think you have already found that from personal practice. Heathenry was and is a votive religion, we offer to our god/esses., common offerings are food, alcohol and in Freyja's case love poetry./[/url]

Thank you very kindly! Like I said approaching deities in a non-prayerful/meditational or vocal worship is still very strange for me. Thank you for your resources :)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 04:47:45 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202589

So true. Heathen deities tend to be gods and goddesses of "action". Hindu and Buddhist deities tend to be gods and goddesses of less tangible things, i.e. Ganesha = remover of obstacles, giver of wisdom; Lakshmi = good fortune, charm, grace, beauty and wealth of all kinds besides monetary; Durga = power, invincibility; Rama = unflinching duty despite great personal pain and loss; Kali = destruction of evil, negativity; Guan yin/Chenrezig = compassion.

I've never been one to be able to sit quietly and meditate with eyes closed, rhythmic breathing. I get antsy. But I can look at and focus on an image of a deity and contemplate what that deity means for me, and what I may want from that deity, e.g. meditating on Hanuman to increase my strength, courage, devotion by reflecting on his. That's why meditation has no single definition.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 05:20:11 pm »
Quote from: Jainarayan;202743
So true. Heathen deities tend to be gods and goddesses of "action". Hindu and Buddhist deities tend to be gods and goddesses of less tangible things, i.e. Ganesha = remover of obstacles, giver of wisdom; Lakshmi = good fortune, charm, grace, beauty and wealth of all kinds besides monetary; Durga = power, invincibility; Rama = unflinching duty despite great personal pain and loss; Kali = destruction of evil, negativity; Guan yin/Chenrezig = compassion.

I've never been one to be able to sit quietly and meditate with eyes closed, rhythmic breathing. I get antsy. But I can look at and focus on an image of a deity and contemplate what that deity means for me, and what I may want from that deity, e.g. meditating on Hanuman to increase my strength, courage, devotion by reflecting on his. That's why meditation has no single definition.

I "meditate" on one of my goddesses by lighting a candle, wrapping up in a blanket, and having a chat with her. Whatever comes back at least informs me about how *I* think of her. I'm lousy at the sit, breathe, and watch your thoughts form of meditation, as well, but this works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: