"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Searching for ...i dont know what im searching for  (Read 2732 times)

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Searching for ...i dont know what im searching for
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:13:35 pm »
I chose paganism about 3 years ago, before that I had just left being a christian and kind of floated or wandered around feeling out just what else was out there...
Now I find myself wandering still as I have felt called or pulled toward deities from 3 different cultures....one being Ancient Egypt: Anubis and Isis
another being Norse: Thor
and the last being Ancient Greek: Athena

I do not need to meditate in order too know these deities are there, they simply make themselves known as they wish.

My question i guess is, if there is any one path that encompasses these beliefs?

I'm still learning and feeling my way around a lot so I will probably have a lot more questions.

Mata

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for ...i dont know what im searching for...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:10:36 am »
Quote from: LeaLynne;22260
I chose paganism about 3 years ago, before that I had just left being a christian and kind of floated or wandered around feeling out just what else was out there...
Now I find myself wandering still as I have felt called or pulled toward deities from 3 different cultures....one being Ancient Egypt: Anubis and Isis

I do not need to meditate in order too know these deities are there, they simply make themselves known as they wish.

My question i guess is, if there is any one path that encompasses these beliefs?

I'm still learning and feeling my way around a lot so I will probably have a lot more questions.

For Athene, Isis, & Anubis, you can look up Graeco-Egyptian religion, where the two cultures were syncretised. As for fitting Thorr into the picture - nothing says you can't pursue a Norse/Heathen path separately of your Egyptian/Hellenic one. The great thing about most pagan religions is that they're rarely exclusive.

ETA: I can't recall for sure, but I think that some Germanic deities were syncretised with Roman/Greek ones. I don't know if they were actively worshipped, although I do remember that Tacitus equated Germanic gods with the Roman ones; Odin as Mercurius, Thorr as Jupiter, etc. So it wouldn't be impossible to work Germanic deities into a Graeco-Roman framework.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:14:41 am by Mata »
" For this feeling of wonder shows that you are a philosopher, since wonder is the only beginning of philosophy..." - Socrates to Theaetetus.
Find me on Goodreads here

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:35:07 am »

Well, you don't HAVE to go historical - a lot of people do, but that doesn't mean it's a requirement.  You KNOW Who's bugging you.  I'd start with that and figure out what it is They want from you and what it is you have to give.

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:28:03 pm »
thanks to both answers, I will be looking into the Graeco-Egyptian religion.

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:33 pm »

As Mata said, there is nothing wrong with worshipping dieties from different cultures. And you don't have to follow a specific, cut-and-dry path or tradition. Everyone's journey is different, and sometimes it is easier to just have a patchwork of themes, ideas, or rituals. I don't really know of any paths that are based on these beliefs, or at least not any well-known ones.
I, personally, just go with whatever feels right. I worship many Egyptian dieties, as well as a number of others. But I also celebrate the Celtic-based (I believe... my have my facts mixed up. It's been a long day.) Wheel of the Year. I just utilize and work with whatever feels right for me. Going with your intuition is always the best road, in my opinion.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:59:23 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;22516
As Mata said, there is nothing wrong with worshipping dieties from different cultures. And you don't have to follow a specific, cut-and-dry path or tradition. Everyone's journey is different, and sometimes it is easier to just have a patchwork of themes, ideas, or rituals. I don't really know of any paths that are based on these beliefs, or at least not any well-known ones.
I, personally, just go with whatever feels right. I worship many Egyptian dieties, as well as a number of others. But I also celebrate the Celtic-based (I believe... my have my facts mixed up. It's been a long day.) Wheel of the Year. I just utilize and work with whatever feels right for me. Going with your intuition is always the best road, in my opinion.

Thank you, that actually sounds exactly like what I liked most about paganism in the beginning, I was encouraged to think and to listen to what felt best....sounds like I just need to get back to basics...

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:05 am »
Quote from: LeaLynne;22528
Thank you, that actually sounds exactly like what I liked most about paganism in the beginning, I was encouraged to think and to listen to what felt best....sounds like I just need to get back to basics...

Perhaps. =) that's why I chose paganism as well, because there is no forced mold that you have to fit in. It may seem overwhelming at first, but eventually you will probably get to a point where it all comes so natural, even if you are worshipping dieties from different cultures or using rituals and stuff from fifty different traditions. =) The Cauldron is a great place to ask questions and find information. =)
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:02:31 pm »

My question is why do you have to choose? Why can't you honor all of them? Isn't that the joy of being a Pagan or am I way off?
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

LeaLynne

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:08:07 pm »
Quote from: sephira;22877
My question is why do you have to choose? Why can't you honor all of them? Isn't that the joy of being a Pagan or am I way off?

No you're not off...i don't think....i just over think things way too much....something I've been told on multiple occasions is both a good thing and a bad thing....in faith it means i doubt things a lot...but in everyday life and work it means I fulfill my job to the infinite degree....I just need to keep the over thinking under control...

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 09:24:24 am »
Quote from: sephira;22877

You're not way off.  Some people choose to create their own structure; others want to start from an existing structure.  It all depends on the individual.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:34 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;23001
You're not way off.  Some people choose to create their own structure; others want to start from an existing structure.  It all depends on the individual.

okay, cool, because I haven't stuck to one pantheon as of yet as each deity has so many different things to bring to the table. I suppose that's my structure. lol
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

Tags: