Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Spiritual associations with albums of music  (Read 2307 times)

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Spiritual associations with albums of music
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:30:46 pm »
I've seen a lot of threads about songs people associate with their Powers, or the construction of playlists for ritual; they're good and useful threads and I've participated in a few.

But in the months I've been practicing my own very musically-dependent rituals and meditations, I've noticed that I don't get the best results out of playlists I assemble myself. Instead, I tend to get the most oomph out of albums: sets of songs or musical tracks originally constructed as some kind of whole.

And I haven't seen discussion of this, which is a shame because I'd love to talk about it.

So, does anyone else have spiritual associations involving an entire album or soundtrack instead of (or in addition to) individual songs? What are they, if you're comfortable sharing? This could be anything from "this album really embodies a god I work with" to "I had a specific ritual experience set to this soundtrack once and now it's forever associated with that in my mind." Or whatever else fits.

Feel free to share your feelings on why the music is great, too.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
Re: Spiritual associations with albums of music
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:33:38 pm »
Quote from: Eastling;202405
So, does anyone else have spiritual associations involving an entire album or soundtrack instead of (or in addition to) individual songs? What are they, if you're comfortable sharing? This could be anything from "this album really embodies a god I work with" to "I had a specific ritual experience set to this soundtrack once and now it's forever associated with that in my mind." Or whatever else fits.

I'll start off with my own experiences.

I lately worship a personally reconstructed version of Ariadne, a maenadic star goddess of love and death. This post was sparked by my finding this album, which the liner notes explain is "inspired by the cosmos." I find it very fitting for her.

On an even-more-obscure note, I like to use music in languages I don't understand for meditation and ritual, but I also like to know that it has an appropriate meaning in some way even if I can't comprehend it. Enter my steadiest source of ritual music for months: Astrologia no Juuni no Sign, or the Twelve Signs of Astrologia, a Japanese synth-pop album of songs themed to the Classical Zodiac. The actual meanings of the songs are very varied, but it worked so well for my ritual purposes that I have good associations with it.

When it comes to associations via religious experience, though, I have a really good one of being called to find just the right music for a particularly important ritual--and successfully choosing the , which turned out to be perfect.
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:09:26 am »

So I just plain don't listen to albums much anymore, so all of my answers would go back to high school... U2's Achtung Baby, the Crow soundtrack, Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell (and also Bat Out of Hell II). They're all albums that are strongly associated with a sort of story, and the feelings and also the Powers that inhabit that story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:30:36 am »

The closest I come to an entire album that whacks a spiritual nerve would be Laurie Anderson's Big Science. Her brand of sideways pop storytelling in her performance art/music is often meditative like chanting a mantra, and always seems to bring forth the hidden mythic core in the most unusual things.

Other than that, it's individual works that get me in the spiritual and/or mythic gut, like the pieces from various soundtracks assembled here.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:23:26 pm »

This one here is stunning. I haven't exactly worked out *why* it's spiritually significant yet, but when I do I'll let you know.

The Trials of Van Occupanther also resonates, probably because I view a lot of the music as a soundtrack for an oft-wished-for witchy cabin in the woods. I also just love that it tells a story.

Tamer Animals makes me think of Roadwork.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:24:08 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;202489

Oh and also Runaljod: Ragnarok because I can't forget Wardruna!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 04:38:38 pm »
I've seen a lot of threads about songs people associate with their Powers, or the construction of playlists for ritual; they're good and useful threads and I've participated in a few.

But in the months I've been practicing my own very musically-dependent rituals and meditations, I've noticed that I don't get the best results out of playlists I assemble myself. Instead, I tend to get the most oomph out of albums: sets of songs or musical tracks originally constructed as some kind of whole.

And I haven't seen discussion of this, which is a shame because I'd love to talk about it.

It's going to sound super fluffy (Hey, I owned it!) But Garbage's self titled album. I am a huge fan of shadow work, and this dipped into my shadows something fierce, though I didn't know it at the time.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »
Quote from: MeadowRae;202512
It's going to sound super fluffy (Hey, I owned it!) But Garbage's self titled album. I am a huge fan of shadow work, and this dipped into my shadows something fierce, though I didn't know it at the time.

Garbage sounds about right for shadow work. (I also want to make an Ishtar/Inanna playlist using "The World Is Not Enough" someday but I don't know what else to put on it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 05:43:28 pm »
Quote from: MeadowRae;202512
It's going to sound super fluffy (Hey, I owned it!) But Garbage's self titled album.

I've used 'Only Happy When It Rains' as a hook for... so y'know that thing where, when people get together in mobs and dance, it can be (not always, but sometimes, and especially in certain subcultures) a kind of, 'let's raise a bunch of energy so we all have some extra to take home' thing? Well, for facilitating that. (Local goth community, if you're wondering - so does that make me a dark fluff? :))

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 02:31:17 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202528
I've used 'Only Happy When It Rains' as a hook for... so y'know that thing where, when people get together in mobs and dance, it can be (not always, but sometimes, and especially in certain subcultures) a kind of, 'let's raise a bunch of energy so we all have some extra to take home' thing? Well, for facilitating that. (Local goth community, if you're wondering - so does that make me a dark fluff? :))

Sunflower

Almost all music I listen to is a spiritual experience gifted from where ever.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Jorell

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:07 am »

This one here is stunning. I haven't exactly worked out *why* it's spiritually significant yet, but when I do I'll let you know.

Thank you for posting.  Really enjoying listening to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Quote fixed by Morag)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:57:01 am by Morag »

Féth

• View Profile
  • Religion: Seeker
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 09:08:55 am »

Anything by Loreena Mckennit. I saw her live in concert once, and I think that experience was fairly spiritual. I also love Ravi Shankar and Yasmine Hamdan. Mind you: I haven't listened to these artists in any sort of spiritual or religious setting, but their music takes me away to a place of feeling that I guess you could say is connected to (my conceptions of) spirituality.

Tags: