Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Author Topic: My New Swords  (Read 4190 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
My New Swords
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:46:17 pm »
Employing the same artisans who created Jenett's gorgeous athame, I came home today to my own newly completed custom-made artifacts, the Wings of the East. I’ve long wanted these twin swords, of a design that has evolved in my head over many years, to symbolize the way I strive to live.

First of the two is the left-hand sword, Excelsior, sword of reason. It symbolizes pure thought—flexible, rational, imaginative. The inscription, “vola alte”, is Latin for “fly high” and is the first half of my personal motto.

The second, for the right hand, is Executor, sword of resolve. (Pronounced “eks-ZEK-you-tur”—stress on the second syllable, just like Excelsior.) It symbolizes the determination to take those lofty thoughts and translate them into reality. Its inscription, “fac ut mundus sequatur”, means “make the world follow” in Latin and is the second half of my motto, “Fly high and make the world follow”. The full motto is displayed when the swords are crossed.

The wing engraved on Executor has detailing to suggest substance, vs. the open and airy wing on Excelsior, like the intangibility of pure thought…the idea being that one needs both wings to truly fly.

(And gosh, if the names of the swords, besides being apt to their roles, shamelessly poach mythic resonance from a certain legendary sword of some repute, I have no idea how that happened)

The winged crossguard is one of Omega Artworks' standard designs that happened to match what I'd envisioned perfectly. The pommel on both is my signature: my personal sigil (a stylized bird in flight) surrounded by Arabic calligraphy that says “the flying eagle”—al-nasr al-ta’ir—which is the phrase from which the star Altair gets its name.

Gary and Suzy Zahradka, the folks behind Omega Artworks who created the Wings of the East for me, have outdone themselves, and like Jenett I highly recommend them if you have a custom piece you crave. It’s not cheap. But true artwork shouldn’t be.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:54:35 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: My New Swords
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:23:06 pm »
Quote from: Altair;202403
swords

Dear gods, but those are gorgeous. Artwork, indeed.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:30:52 pm »
Employing the same artisans who created Jenett's gorgeous athame, I came home today to my own newly completed custom-made artifacts, the Wings of the East. I’ve long wanted these twin swords, of a design that has evolved in my head over many years, to symbolize the way I strive to live.

They are GORGEOUS. And very you, at least in terms of my perspective of knowing you.

I also note with interest that they can be said to be a response to the 'should knives/swords be associated with East/Air, or South/Fire?' thing, in that Excelsior is all about the classic East/Air/thought/knowledge/reason association, while Executor is strongly flavored with the action/Will associations more usually attached to South/Fire - still a thing of Air, but not of Air alone.

Whether that's consciously intentional or not, or whether it's even relevant for you, I don't know, but I mention it so that if it is useful to you, in whatever way, you have it.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:00:45 am »

Gary and Suzy Zahradka, the folks behind Omega Artworks who created the Wings of the East for me, have outdone themselves, and like Jenett I highly recommend them if you have a custom piece you crave. It’s not cheap. But true artwork shouldn’t be.

These are gorgeous and have me all like:

Just kidding, but seriously, thank you for sharing. I love the symbolism and the thought put into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 06:57:18 am »

Wow.  Damn.  

That is all.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 08:03:26 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202406
They are GORGEOUS. And very you, at least in terms of my perspective of knowing you.

Yes, much in the same way that Jenett's athame is very much a reflection of her.

I also note with interest that they can be said to be a response to the 'should knives/swords be associated with East/Air, or South/Fire?' thing, in that Excelsior is all about the classic East/Air/thought/knowledge/reason association, while Executor is strongly flavored with the action/Will associations more usually attached to South/Fire - still a thing of Air, but not of Air alone.

Whether that's consciously intentional or not, or whether it's even relevant for you, I don't know, but I mention it so that if it is useful to you, in whatever way, you have it.

You nailed it. It wasn't conscious at first, but over the years I've come to recognize and accept that for me, the concept of will shades between East/Air and South/Fire, a combination of decisive, focused thought and the energy of action.

One of the things I love about these swords is that their very existence is proof of those principles--they were pure concepts in my head, until I turned that idea into reality. For me (who usually has little or no relationship with magic), that makes these swords infused with the deepest enchantment.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 09:17:29 am »

Those are stunning. I'm totally not surprised, mind, because they do do excellent work. I'm so glad they were able to do what you'd had in your head for so long.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:36:33 am »
I came home today to my own newly completed custom-made artifacts, the Wings of the East.

Those are breathtaking!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 02:02:49 am »
Quote from: Kylara;202428
Those are breathtaking!
Agreed with everyone else, those are spectacular. Thank you for sharing them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:28:27 am »

Those swords are fantastic -- both in design and workmanship.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 11:38:23 am »

Those. are. stunning.

shadowsiren

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Polytheist with a dash of religious witchcraft / Always learning
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 10:07:51 am »

"Gorgeous" just doesn't seem to cover it but it will have to do - these are absolutely stunning. Beautiful. Just...wow.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 05:28:51 pm »

Hey, Altair!

I just stopped by to see them at Paganicon again this year, and they were very enthusiastically delighted at me that you loved the blades, and that they turned out like you'd wanted.

(So, passing the mutual admiration along, because that's fun.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 07:02:39 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;203852
Hey, Altair!

I just stopped by to see them at Paganicon again this year, and they were very enthusiastically delighted at me that you loved the blades, and that they turned out like you'd wanted.

(So, passing the mutual admiration along, because that's fun.)

Oh most excellent! If you see them again before Paganicon is done, please give them my regards

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 11:44:16 pm »
Employing the same artisans who created Jenett's gorgeous athame, I came home today to my own newly completed custom-made artifacts, the Wings of the East. I’ve long wanted these twin swords, of a design that has evolved in my head over many years, to symbolize the way I strive to live....

Since the images have all disappeared (damn you, Photobucket, and your mercilessly mercantile new policies!), here's a link to Omega Artworks' website, where I just discovered they've posted some of the very same pics of Excelsior and Executor that I'd originally incorporated in this thread.

http://www.omegaartworks.com/portfolio.php?art=646

Tags: