Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What do you do with unfinished candles after a spell?  (Read 13454 times)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
What do you do with unfinished candles after a spell?
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:25:31 pm »
I'm having an internal debate with myself. Can you reuse a spell candle--as long as it isn't specifically dressed and carved--for different spells? Or should the candle be stashed for the same spell in case you need it in the future? Or melted down and remade into a different candle? Or.... what?

I know some people say to just throw out/bury partly used candles, but I don't have tons of candle money lying around so that's really not a good option for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: What do you do with unfinished candles after a spell?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:48:06 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;202384
I'm having an internal debate with myself. Can you reuse a spell candle--as long as it isn't specifically dressed and carved--for different spells? Or should the candle be stashed for the same spell in case you need it in the future? Or melted down and remade into a different candle? Or.... what?

I'll generally use larger candles for ongoing general needs (like prosperity, say) again, but not swap between different goals. (So not using the same candle one month for prosperity, the next for romance, the next for doing well on a project, etc.)

If I have a short term goal, that's a good time for itty bitty candles (Or just another method of magic.) In practice, this means I don't do a ton of candle magic and tend to save it for longer-term things.

I know some people who keep their candle ends from one year, melt them down (often in layers) into a new container with a suitable wick, and then use that for a longer term meditation candle or something not associated with specific magical acts, more a 'here's where I'm coming from'
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:29:35 pm »

I know some people say to just throw out/bury partly used candles, but I don't have tons of candle money lying around so that's really not a good option for me.

I don't reuse a candle unless it is part of a long term working.  I buy a lot of white birthday cake candles.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:24:09 pm »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;202388
I don't reuse a candle unless it is part of a long term working.  I buy a lot of white birthday cake candles.

I was using those, but I found if I forget them they get stuck in my candle holder, never to be removed. :( I have to dig them out with a toothpick. :(

Right now I'm doing a long-term money spell, and the candle has herbs all over it, so obviously I'm not going to keep that one because it would be messy.

I'm kinda thinking I might go with the save-and-melt route unless it's a candle I'm using for a general purpose.

Beryl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:12:56 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;202393
I was using those, but I found if I forget them they get stuck in my candle holder, never to be removed. :( I have to dig them out with a toothpick. :(

Right now I'm doing a long-term money spell, and the candle has herbs all over it, so obviously I'm not going to keep that one because it would be messy.

I'm kinda thinking I might go with the save-and-melt route unless it's a candle I'm using for a general purpose.

I don't do a whole lot of specific candle magic, but one suggestion I've seen is marking off, say, the top inch or half inch of the candle (by scratching around it, or by anointing only that section with oil, I'd personally be inclined to go for something fairly visible so I could see where the line was when it was burning, but can't think of anything other than a non-toxic marker that would work that way), dedicating that for the spell, and burning to that point then snuffing it out. Probably more suited to 'low magic' (which I tend to associate with the eminent practicality of most of the witches in Terry Pratchett's Discworld books - not that Granny Weatherwax would really hold with faffing around with candles for spells, but if she did, I can't see her using more of a candle than is necessary, candles is expensive!) than 'high', which suits me fine.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:30:59 am »
Quote from: Beryl;202417
I don't do a whole lot of specific candle magic, but one suggestion I've seen is marking off, say, the top inch or half inch of the candle (by scratching around it, or by anointing only that section with oil, I'd personally be inclined to go for something fairly visible so I could see where the line was when it was burning, but can't think of anything other than a non-toxic marker that would work that way), dedicating that for the spell, and burning to that point then snuffing it out. Probably more suited to 'low magic' (which I tend to associate with the eminent practicality of most of the witches in Terry Pratchett's Discworld books - not that Granny Weatherwax would really hold with faffing around with candles for spells, but if she did, I can't see her using more of a candle than is necessary, candles is expensive!) than 'high', which suits me fine.

That could work. I suppose I could try it and if it didn't work, nothing lost but a 20 cent candle (well, and another hour drive to the witchy shop to replenish my candle supply, but whatevs; I like going, so it would be a good excuse).

I'm talking low magic for sure. For anything ceremonial, I wrap the candle in paper and note on the paper what it was used for, then tie it with a piece of yarn and stash it in a safe place for future use.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 09:45:10 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;202388

I use birthday candles a lot, both white and colored ones (though I end up with lots of yellow candles left over sometimes lol)  I have also found Hanukkah candles are a tiny step up from birthday (they burn longer for things I want a single use candle but not just a super quickie one)

You could put a small piece of tin foil in the bottom of your candle holder perhaps and then when the little candles burn down, it should just lift out.

Quote from: Beryl;202417
I don't do a whole lot of specific candle magic, but one suggestion I've seen is marking off, say, the top inch or half inch of the candle (by scratching around it, or by anointing only that section with oil, I'd personally be inclined to go for something fairly visible so I could see where the line was when it was burning, but can't think of anything other than a non-toxic marker that would work that way), dedicating that for the spell, and burning to that point then snuffing it out.

You could stick a pin into the side of the candle at the end of the section you have marked for that working.  It would be easy to see when it burns down to the pin, or when the pin falls out (perhaps put the pin a slight bit lower than what you have dedicated to that particular working)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:47:53 am »
Quote from: Kylara;202429
I use birthday candles a lot, both white and colored ones (though I end up with lots of yellow candles left over sometimes lol)  I have also found Hanukkah candles are a tiny step up from birthday (they burn longer for things I want a single use candle but not just a super quickie one)

You could put a small piece of tin foil in the bottom of your candle holder perhaps and then when the little candles burn down, it should just lift out.

You could stick a pin into the side of the candle at the end of the section you have marked for that working.  It would be easy to see when it burns down to the pin, or when the pin falls out (perhaps put the pin a slight bit lower than what you have dedicated to that particular working)

I like the pin idea.

I was using really tiny birthday candles, so the holder was really tiny, too, but actually, crumpled tinfoil would make a good makeshift candle holder anyway. Hmmm. So many ideas!

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 07:28:54 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;202431
crumpled tinfoil would make a good makeshift candle holder anyway.

This thread has given me the idea of using little birthday candles, which is great - thanks.

I wanted to comment with my health & safety head on, though, to be extra careful when using crumpled tinfoil as a makeshift candle holder to make sure its stable and can't fall over.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 04:50:01 am »

I use a hagstone to hold my birthday cake candles. It's stable and I can push any remains out from underneath.

I seem to use hagstones for everything!

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 10:33:51 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;202541

Am I right in thinking that's a found stone with a hole all the way through it?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 11:27:49 am »
Quote from: Dynes Hysbys;202541
I use a hagstone to hold my birthday cake candles. It's stable and I can push any remains out from underneath.

That's a brilliant idea.

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 07:55:09 pm »

I use different colors each day of the week to honor the gods.
I reuse them on their appropriate days.

Ghostmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 04:09:33 pm »

Similar to what Jenett said, I save candle pieces, wax and ends and melt them down into one candle that I use on All Hallow's to release everything I had dealt with from the previous year. Then start over. I don't use colored candles, I use scented candles that I make myself. Which scent depends on what I'm using it for, it's just soy wax and essential oils, which has a tendency to make for a sensory overload for the All Hallow's candle.

Shadowstar

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 11:32:14 pm »
I'm having an internal debate with myself. Can you reuse a spell candle--as long as it isn't specifically dressed and carved--for different spells? Or should the candle be stashed for the same spell in case you need it in the future?

I believe it depends on the use of the candle in the spell.  I've cleansed and reused candles before.  I've also buried them or let them burn out.  I think it all depends on the spell.  I would not reuse a candle that I marked or anointed for a specific person or purpose in a spell.  Just my intuition, but that's how I operate.  I also tend to buy a lot of candles from the dollar store.  I get it with cost.  That's why I also try to use a candle that is a size appropriate to the work I am performing.  I don't want to use a huge pillar candle for a spell that is general in nature if I can help it.
What is the "Riddle of Steel?"

Tags: