Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Different Types Of Magic  (Read 2475 times)

UrsaJune

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Different Types Of Magic
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:21:04 pm »
Whats the best way to learn different types of magick?(am I using that right?)

I've heard of energy magic and feel the most drawn to that so if someone could explain that in great detail and give me some reading material

What are all the types of magick? Or are there too many too?

How do you find magick that works for your?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Different Types Of Magic
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:33:30 pm »
Quote from: JuniperLennah;202380

So, there's two pieces here: different views of how magic works, and different ways people do things.

For the first part, I've got an article on my website that talks through some of the more common approaches within religious witchcraft and related practices that can give you some basics and an overview. (Any individual one of those approaches is also a thing people write books about!)

For the second, there are a bunch of different methods of doing magic - energy work, candles, fiber arts, knot magic, herbs, stones, etc. etc.

Usually what people end up focusing on is a mix of what's interesting to them and what's convenient for them. (If you live in a college dorm or other housing that forbids candles, candle magic is a very limiting choice. If you live somewhere it's hard to get things other than kitchen herbs, herbal options are going to be more limited.)

If you're interested in the basics of energy work, the first essays on this page on my site will give you the basics: basically, you want to build up the ability to know what's you and what's not you (centering), figure out how to move energy a bit (grounding and other energy techniques), and then shape it into your goal (that's the visualisation and meditation part). The 'Using these skills' section, just below, will give you some different ideas of what that might look like.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:08:42 am »

I've heard of energy magic and feel the most drawn to that so if someone could explain that in great detail and give me some reading material

There are plenty of kinds of magic, but at their core they all tend to boil down to a few basic skills, one of which is definitely energy work. Focus is another.

From there, how you learn how to do magic is by doing magic. You can read every spell book under the sun and it won't do much for you unless you start trying things out. So if you find you have an interest in a particular kind of magic, well, try it. See what happens.

(I will say I recommend keeping a magical journal or diary for these experiments - helps you keep track of results.)

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:05:18 pm »

For energy magick you might wish to practice tai chi, chi kung, yoga, and meditative breathing. These will help you develop and feel your energy body (aura).

A daily regimen of ritual magick such as the lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram (LBRP) will teach you to visualize and manipulate that energy.

"Modern Magick", by Donald Michael Kraig, is a fantastic book that teaches exercises and techniques to get you started.  It is also a practical grimoire (grammar) to help understand various forms of magick. Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:11:17 am by SunflowerP »

Lumpino

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:03 am »

I think there is a more types of magic.
Ceremonial or ritual magic, Mental magic (see for example books by William Walker Atkinson),  Magic of amulets and Talismans, Natural magic ( using plants and others natural things), Theurgy and some others.
Every magick works if you used correctly.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:55 pm »

I'd see all magical practise as an individual art.  So there's as many types of magic as there are people doing magic.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:33:29 am »
I've heard of energy magic and feel the most drawn to that

You go through life making choices of give or of take so make a decision. that's how to manipulate the force. or you could play around with it such as take so much love.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 11:51:13 am »
Quote from: sevensons;202720

A Reminder:
Hi sevensons,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Morag
TC Forum Staff
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 12:32:02 pm »
Quote from: Morag;202725
A Reminder:
Hi sevensons,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Morag
TC Forum Staff

Hi Morag I did quote a section but it just didn't come out as a quote for some reason.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:18:04 pm »

one of the best forms of manipulating energy is to use nature. go out side look at a dead leaf and think to yourself believe. this will discharge bad energy. or you could look at some leaves on a bush and think to your self relief.

Instagram stevejomac

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 01:53:03 pm »
Quote from: sevensons;202729
Hi Morag I did quote a section but it just didn't come out as a quote for some reason.

Sometimes it does that. :) Luckily enough, reminders =/= warnings.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 01:55:28 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;202413

From there, how you learn how to do magic is by doing magic. You can read every spell book under the sun and it won't do much for you unless you start trying things out. So if you find you have an interest in a particular kind of magic, well, try it. See what happens.

^^^
The only way to learn what works is to *do the thing and see.*
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Tags: