Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Tending Brigid's Flame: any good?  (Read 2904 times)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Tending Brigid's Flame: any good?
« on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:18 pm »
Curious about this book. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I see it EVERYWHERE; in bookstores, on Amazon, in pagan/metaphysical shops. My book budget is a bit tiny, so I don't want to chuck money away on a "meh" book. (It has a pretty green cover, and I'm a sucker for books with pretty green covers. You have no idea.... :ange:)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tending Brigid's Flame: any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 09:51:35 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;202279
Curious about this book. I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I see it EVERYWHERE; in bookstores, on Amazon, in pagan/metaphysical shops. My book budget is a bit tiny, so I don't want to chuck money away on a "meh" book. (It has a pretty green cover, and I'm a sucker for books with pretty green covers. You have no idea.... :ange:)

Also, just a note: I am HUGELY impressed with the attention to reliability in resources I've found here. I'm really knew to paganism, so it's been tremendously helpful.

SunflowerP

• Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 11:23:12 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;202279

For those not immediately familiar with it (like me!), it appears to be this book.

As I say, I'm not familiar with it, so I can't opine about it directly, but I found the two-star review (or more accurately, the comments on that review) very useful in getting a sense of what it's like.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:29:52 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202288
For those not immediately familiar with it (like me!), it appears to be this book.

As I say, I'm not familiar with it, so I can't opine about it directly, but I found the two-star review (or more accurately, the comments on that review) very useful in getting a sense of what it's like.

Sunflower

That's it. Apparently the mobile version of Amazon won't let me see the comments, but I gather it discusses Brigid as Catholic saint, which I have no problem with as such, but I can find a ton of information on that online if I want to.

My gut is telling me to look elsewhere, but if anybody else has insight, please chime in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunflowerP

• Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:05:15 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;202289
That's it. Apparently the mobile version of Amazon won't let me see the comments, but I gather it discusses Brigid as Catholic saint, which I have no problem with as such, but I can find a ton of information on that online if I want to.

Oh, that's a pain! It wasn't the Brigid-as-saint part that I was pointing out (that seems to be the 3-star review that mentions that as being offputting), though. The comments on the two-star review discuss, in a fairly nuanced way, how much the book is rooted in Wicca-flavored paganism (that's 'paganism, the kinda-Wiccish kinda-Druish otherwise nameless religion', as distinct from 'paganism the movement').

It might not be an Amazon Mobile issue, but that it defaults to filtering only verified-purchase reviews - I had difficulty getting it to show me that three-star review for that reason. Here is a link directly to the two-star review; perhaps that will work for you (you'll probably still need to click on '3 comments' to get them to show).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:12:03 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202295
Oh, that's a pain! It wasn't the Brigid-as-saint part that I was pointing out (that seems to be the 3-star review that mentions that as being offputting), though. The comments on the two-star review discuss, in a fairly nuanced way, how much the book is rooted in Wicca-flavored paganism (that's 'paganism, the kinda-Wiccish kinda-Druish otherwise nameless religion', as distinct from 'paganism the movement').

It might not be an Amazon Mobile issue, but that it defaults to filtering only verified-purchase reviews - I had difficulty getting it to show me that three-star review for that reason. Here is a link directly to the two-star review; perhaps that will work for you (you'll probably still need to click on '3 comments' to get them to show).

Sunflower

Well, I am druidish, so I don't necessarily mind that. But I might be able to get what I need in that direction from actual Druidry books instead of nameless druidish thingy books, and I'd probably prefer that.

Also, still no luck on comments. I'll have to login on my laptop and look at it that way.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 12:45:48 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;202296
Well, I am druidish, so I don't necessarily mind that. But I might be able to get what I need in that direction from actual Druidry books instead of nameless druidish thingy books, and I'd probably prefer that.

Also, still no luck on comments. I'll have to login on my laptop and look at it that way.

I have read this book, and overall, it's a good book. I wouldn't consider it an appropriate book into the historical aspects of Brighid. Morgan Daimler's book on Her does an excellent job of that. It's a devotional book, most of all. It's popular with Brighidine flamekeepers; I mean, look at the title ;). Yes, it's influenced by Wicca/Neo-Druidry, so as long as you're good with that, you're fine.

It discusses celebrating Brighid throughout the year, not just Imbolc. There's prayers, interviews with various Brighid devotees, Brighidine activities, and so on. I'd say it really shines with the devotional parts, above all else. So, if you're looking for something like that, then it's probably a good book for you.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 12:47:09 am »
Quote from: Nic an Dair;202299
I have read this book, and overall, it's a good book. I wouldn't consider it an appropriate book into the historical aspects of Brighid. Morgan Daimler's book on Her does an excellent job of that. It's a devotional book, most of all. It's popular with Brighidine flamekeepers; I mean, look at the title ;). Yes, it's influenced by Wicca/Neo-Druidry, so as long as you're good with that, you're fine.

It discusses celebrating Brighid throughout the year, not just Imbolc. There's prayers, interviews with various Brighid devotees, Brighidine activities, and so on. I'd say it really shines with the devotional parts, above all else. So, if you're looking for something like that, then it's probably a good book for you.

Hmmmm. Yes that might actually be helpful. Thank you!

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 01:45:33 am »
I have read this book, and overall, it's a good book.

What Nic an Dair said.

Also, it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for Brighid books, you might be interested in checking out Clann Bhride's resource list:  https://clannbhride.wordpress.com/articles-and-essays/clann-bhride-resource-list/
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 11:06:49 am »

Seconding the Morgan Daimler suggestion! Her book is an excellent starting point with good research.
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:37:46 am »

So after some thought I bought the book and I've really loved it. I'm about 2/3 through and it's excellent as a devotional book. Definitely not heavy on scholarship, but I also didn't find it terribly Wicca-ish. Lots of prayers, personal notes, interesting ideas, and just general "this is what being a devotee of Brigid looks like in day-to-day life".

I give it 4/5 stars so far, only because I haven't finished it and it might all go to pieces in the last third. We'll see.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:54 pm »
I give it 4/5 stars so far, only because I haven't finished it and it might all go to pieces in the last third. We'll see.

That's in my to-read pile, along with some of Morgan Daimler's stuff. I think I might slip it to the top of the pile after I get finished the book I'm suffering through for the ADF DP.

Karen

Tags: