Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Odin and Frigg altar ideas?  (Read 1556 times)

rubyred

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Odin and Frigg altar ideas?
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:11:39 pm »
I have a small hanging shelf I made and I want to turn it into an altar devoted to Odin and Frigg. I'm looking for some ideas on how to represent them. I made a drawing of Odin that I put in a frame, so I want some balance and representation of the feminine but I'm not sure how to draw Frigg! Odin is pretty easy with his beard and one eye.

Besides the drawings, any particular colors or pieces of nature that represent Odin and Frigg? Flowers, stones, shells? Metal? Sticks? Branches?

Also I've never really been one to set out offerings or anything like that, what kind of things do you offer to the gods and goddesses? Wine and food? (Also when is the offering "done", how you you dispose of it?)

Thanks in advance!

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Odin and Frigg altar ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 03:37:52 pm »
Quote from: rubyred;202251
I have a small hanging shelf I made and I want to turn it into an altar devoted to Odin and Frigg. I'm looking for some ideas on how to represent them. I made a drawing of Odin that I put in a frame, so I want some balance and representation of the feminine but I'm not sure how to draw Frigg! Odin is pretty easy with his beard and one eye.

Besides the drawings, any particular colors or pieces of nature that represent Odin and Frigg? Flowers, stones, shells? Metal? Sticks? Branches?

Also I've never really been one to set out offerings or anything like that, what kind of things do you offer to the gods and goddesses? Wine and food? (Also when is the offering "done", how you you dispose of it?)

Thanks in advance!

While Frigga doesn't have any obvious physical identifiers, a lot of modern artwork depicts her using a spindle, and/or weaving. A somewhat common modern idea about Frigga is that she spins the thread the Norns use to weave. Other modern depictions of her I've seen sometimes depict her as a queen-like figure, given her importance in the pantheon.

I personally only have an altar rather than a shrine, but you can check out the following links for a start.

http://www.northernpaganism.org/shrines/odin/writing/altars-and-offerings-for-odin.html

http://www.northernpaganism.org/shrines/frigga/friggas-gifts.html

I do not agree with everything written by the authors on those web pages, but many of the altar suggestions seem generally appropriate.

My offerings to the Gods tend to be limited to alcoholic beverages which I dispose of by pouring on the ground. While food products are rather rare in archaeological sites due to their generally rapid decomposition, many other products (like swords for example) appear to have been purposefully damaged in the process of making an offering. A common interpretation of this phenomena is that products were damaged to remove the possibility of their use by humans again, rendering them permanent gifts to the Gods.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

rubyred

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:37:04 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;202256
While Frigga doesn't have any obvious physical identifiers, a lot of modern artwork depicts her using a spindle, and/or weaving. A somewhat common modern idea about Frigga is that she spins the thread the Norns use to weave. Other modern depictions of her I've seen sometimes depict her as a queen-like figure, given her importance in the pantheon.

I personally only have an altar rather than a shrine, but you can check out the following links for a start.

http://www.northernpaganism.org/shrines/odin/writing/altars-and-offerings-for-odin.html

http://www.northernpaganism.org/shrines/frigga/friggas-gifts.html

I do not agree with everything written by the authors on those web pages, but many of the altar suggestions seem generally appropriate.

My offerings to the Gods tend to be limited to alcoholic beverages which I dispose of by pouring on the ground. While food products are rather rare in archaeological sites due to their generally rapid decomposition, many other products (like swords for example) appear to have been purposefully damaged in the process of making an offering. A common interpretation of this phenomena is that products were damaged to remove the possibility of their use by humans again, rendering them permanent gifts to the Gods.

Thanks for those links, super helpful! Also that's interesting about damaged swords as an offering, I've never heard of that before. Very cool

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:02:46 am »
Quote from: rubyred;202251

Thanks in advance!

Frigg and Odin are kinda a King and Queen so thrones. She spins wool and is associated with rams and sheep. I use tea, booze, food, sweets. I have read to Odin and I would think your art would count as a offering.

Tags: