Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: What if you were in a "Groundhog Day" loop?  (Read 2831 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
What if you were in a "Groundhog Day" loop?
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:27:57 pm »
As in the movie of that name: living the same day over and over, keeping all your memories of the previous versions?

What would it be like? Would you try to break out of the loop as soon as possible?

Nothing would have lasting consequences. Would you be tempted to eat at expensive restaurants, knowing you would never be billed? (I would.) Would you be tempted to commit crimes, knowing that they would be undone that night? Any object you buy, you would only have for the day ... and the same for any object you make. Arguably, learning is the only lasting thing you could accomplish. There are plenty of things that you would be unable to do, because they take longer than a day. There would be no way to keep track of how long you've been in the loop either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: What if you were in a "Groundhog Day" loop?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 08:44:31 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;202233
As in the movie of that name: living the same day over and over, keeping all your memories of the previous versions?

What would it be like? Would you try to break out of the loop as soon as possible?

Nothing would have lasting consequences. Would you be tempted to eat at expensive restaurants, knowing you would never be billed? (I would.)

Ah, but consider this thought exercise: Once you DO break out of the loop, you find that you are responsible for meeting all of the obligations (financial, legal, moral) which you incurred on every single iteration through it...would that change the way in which you dealt with such a paradox?
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:02:02 pm »
Arguably, learning is the only lasting thing you could accomplish.

I'd be fairly okay with that, to a point.

My only worry would be that I'd get out of the loop at a super inconvenient point, say, the day I maxed out my credit card on novelty socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:01:41 pm »

Think of all the research reading I could catch up on.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 10:13:42 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;202237
Think of all the research reading I could catch up on.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Or spellwork? You could write the definitive "Spells that work in 24 hours or less" book. "Believe me, I KNOW."

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:45:06 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;202236
I'd be fairly okay with that, to a point.

My only worry would be that I'd get out of the loop at a super inconvenient point, say, the day I maxed out my credit card on novelty socks.

In the movie, which I'm going by, the loop could only be broken by a specific set of circumstances, so it wouldn't end randomly.

My worry would be spending so long in the loop that I forget how to function in time that's moving normally.

I think a great deal would depend on what kind of day it was: weekday or weekend, what season or weather, my health at the time (if I were on my period that day, I would want to end the loop ASAP!) On the other hand, I can imagine someone who was terminally ill might not be in any hurry to break out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 07:54:37 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;202270
(if I were on my period that day

I didn't even think of that. What horror. (I'm pretty period positive--when I'm not dying of cramps, y'know--but that would suck.)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 11:05:58 pm »

Nothing would have lasting consequences. Would you be tempted to eat at expensive restaurants, knowing you would never be billed? (I would.) Would you be tempted to commit crimes, knowing that they would be undone that night? Any object you buy, you would only have for the day ... and the same for any object you make. Arguably, learning is the only lasting thing you could accomplish. There are plenty of things that you would be unable to do, because they take longer than a day. There would be no way to keep track of how long you've been in the loop either.

I would read so many books, and punch so many people in the groin. It would be amazing.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 11:40:49 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;202287
I would read so many books, and punch so many people in the groin. It would be amazing.

*nodnodnod* Same here.

I'd also be able to put more time into learning the guitar/other instruments. Maybe I'd just start walking and see how far I could get in a day.

Hm...
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 06:34:52 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;202287

Or pies to the face! I've always wanted to do that.

It's too bad most of the vidya games I like take longer than a day to complete.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Beryl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 03:21:15 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;202270
In the movie, which I'm going by, the loop could only be broken by a specific set of circumstances, so it wouldn't end randomly.

Ah, but you would only be guessing that you were in a clone of the movie's situation, so to speak, until you completed whatever the relevant things were that you had to achieve for time to sort itself. (Murray's character had, by that point, I think given up on life ever continuing as normal? Not seen it for a while.)

I'd hope there was a good library nearby, and that I wasn't having an especially bad pain and brainfog and fatigue day, I suppose. I'd probably have a phase of the same sort of 'okay, I'm trapped, may as well be a terrible person' moments Murray has, because I think pretty much anyone would, out of desperation (in fact, a small part of me would probably be wondering if doing something awful that I couldn't get away from would 'fix' time) and the fact that that situation would probably unhinge anyone, but I like to think I'm at least a slightly better person than that guy, so hopefully a bit less of it.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 04:06:49 am »

I would probably have to much fun killing myself a million different ways! Lol
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 05:46:23 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;202274
What horror.

Yeah.  Groundhog Period Day would have to suck.  Ditto for any Groundhog Chronic Illness Day-- arthritis, asthma, hell, even really bad allergies.

That said, I think Mama Fortuna's plan is the best so far.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 06:29:48 pm »
Quote from: Beryl;202418
Ah, but you would only be guessing that you were in a clone of the movie's situation, so to speak, until you completed whatever the relevant things were that you had to achieve for time to sort itself. (Murray's character had, by that point, I think given up on life ever continuing as normal? Not seen it for a while.)

To tell the truth, I haven't actually seen the movie either; I just know the premise from pop-culture osmosis.

I think, after a while it would be just as important to find a way to tell if you've exited the loop. I think going to sleep somewhere other than where you wake up at the start of the loop would be a good strategy to make it obvious if you'd looped or not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 11:56:56 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;202421
Yeah.  Groundhog Period Day would have to suck.  Ditto for any Groundhog Chronic Illness Day-- arthritis, asthma, hell, even really bad allergies.

That said, I think Mama Fortuna's plan is the best so far.

I am.... way, WAY too pleased by your current icon. It's glorious.

Tags: