collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Hel x Baldr?  (Read 8614 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Hel x Baldr?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2017, 04:32:43 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;202826
To some extent, I think that recon traditions attract people who are very interested in religion, but may also have a relatively low level of comfort with or trust in religious experience in comparison to other contemporary pagan traditions.

Ooh, that's a nice point.  I think there's got to be some of that in there.

Me, I think 99% of most modern pagan poetry is fucking terrible and want quality liturgy. ;)  (That is the flip comment.  But it is also true.)

I think to some extent it is also a method of dealing with any feelings of self-doubt or shame that arise for a person who has difficulty reconciling their self-image as a "rational" or "normal" person with their embrace of a fringe religious tradition. "Yes, I worship Thor, but I'm not crazy, look at all these fucking books".

Ha!  And I suspect there's also a certain amount of - gods know I've run into plenty of religious discussions that treat veneration of any of the polytheistic gods as just the sort of obviously laughable thing that nobody actually does as anything other than a lark, so I can see that being a sort of armour as well, from that sort of casual dismissal.  "I am doing this seriously for serious."
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2017, 12:37:49 am »
Quote from: Megatherium;202783
I agree that the evidence for a pre-christian cult of Hel is slim to nonexistent. I also agree that if one wants to have a high level of certainty about the Gods they choose to worship, than the evidence for Hel is poor in comparison to Odin, Thor, Freyr, Frigg/Freya, Ullr, etc.This is one of the principal reasons that I do not worship Hel.

Then I guess it is not only Reconstructionists that share this POV.

Quote from:
However, I do think there are a few further salient points in this matter. The first is that the aspects of old Germanic religions that we DO have strong evidence for are inevitably going to be a vanishingly small part of what was actually practiced. That doesn't mean every being mentioned in the Eddas should be worshiped. It just means that reconstructionism will only produce the bare skeleton of a religion which will need to be fleshed out in some way.

The problem lies with the "fleshing out"; in a way Reconstructionism is a reaction against the myriad websites and neopagan authors that have/are flooding our community with their pseudo-history, outdated scholarship dressed up as fact, their own personal UPG and any other gimmick that sells books to the unwary. Most of the "fleshing out" I've seen revolves around regurgitating the gooble found in said books or importing aspects of modern mythology,  such as Wicca as if it were a general template of how our polytheistic ancestors worshipped; common example using the Wheel of the Year and plugging in Norse god/esses.

As I've said before, I have no issue with UPG, remythologising or modern cults but I have little forbearance with folks who try to tell me that its ancient lore, use questionable sources, can't be bothered reading the original texts or beat me about the head for being a Reconstructionist.

Quote from:
The second is that a reconstructed religion is going to exist in a vastly different context than the original practices it was based off of did. This means that regardless of the level of evidence demanded, there are going to be aspects of the modern religion which differ wildly from the original. For example, modern Heathen communities are often based on tight-knit groups in imitation of the original tribal-based religion. Unlike the original context; however, modern Heathen communities are created by people who otherwise have little in common other than their theological outlook. This is a perfectly reasonable way for Heathens to organize themselves. It also has far more in common with the way early Christian communities were organized than historical Heathen ones. Compromises will have to be made, and the reasons for doing so will have to be explicitly understood because there really is no recourse to the "correct" way of practicing a religious tradition that has been so completely taken out of context.*

Of course its going to exist in a different context!  I think you misunderstand the point of Reconstructionisim and are possibly confusing it with historical reenactors. Reconstructionism is a methodology used to investige sources, with the end product being an understanding of a specific worldview, which is then applied to our modern lives. Attempting to reproduce social structures wholesale from ancient and medieval societies and import them into our modern world is a fairly ridiculous notion.

"This is a perfectly reasonable way for Heathens to organize themselves. It also has far more in common with the way early Christian communities were organized than historical Heathen ones".

Huh? Please explain.

Quote from:
Finally, while the evidence for Hel may be poor, the evidence for death is superb. If one accepts the idea of many deities, and believes that they can/do have influence over certain areas of life, the idea that a deity associated with death exists is no more of a leap than assuming that the evidence for the historical worship of, for example, Thor is proof of that deity's existence. As I said, speaking from a theological/philosophical point of view, I do not find it difficult to believe that a deity associated with death is willing to interact with modern humans through the identity and stories associated with Hel as she is presented in the Eddas.

Poor logic, disappointing. There is a robust corpus of lore and scholarship in regards to Odin and Freya, which closely associates these deities with death in the Norse tradition. Hel is a medieval personification,  likely the product of Snorri’s Christian worldview. Mentions of Hel are rare and even Snorri does not overly elaborate "her" persona, the cult of Hel is modern.

Quote from:
*(I sometimes think that the most accurate thing someone could do if they really wish to become a Heathen is to...remain a Christian. After all, one could well argue that...

- It is impossible to be certain about how historical Heathen religions were practiced
- Even if we could be sure, they cannot be properly practiced so completely out of context as they are in modern cultures
- The process of passing down a religion through the family (very Heathen) and using a religion to maintain group identity (very Heathen) is much better served by simply remaining a Christian.

After all, it is certainly not very Heathen to separate yourself from your "tribe" simply because you have a romantic interest in an obscure religion. I mean, that sounds like something a Christian would do:p)

1. Heathens had no word for their belief system, it pervaded every aspect of their lives and society. So not a religion per se but a worldview, people with a Christian background often get that confused.
    2.  Yes, that is the point of Reconstructionisim, to bring out that which can be incorporated into the modern world from our Heathen ancestors, to understand their worldview and apply it to modern contexts.
    3. Bring down a religion through the family? I think you are oversimplifying polytheism and conflating ancient with modern neopagan cults. Group identity? Which group? I belong to many groups as did our Heathen ancestors.....the warband, the tribe, the family, family cults, local cults, tribal cults, artisan groups etc. etc.

"Separating myself from my tribe"?  

1. You are not my tribe. My kin, friends and local community are my tribe (and that is an example of a Heathen worldview in a modern context) .
     2. Historically, pan Heathenry did not exist, so there was never one Heathen tribe based on one belief system, that is a Christian notion.

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2017, 12:40:59 am »
Quote from: Tom;202781
Thankfully, I'm not a hard reconstructionist, so it doesn't actually matter to me that there was a pre-Christian cult for Hel or not. I'll honor her if I see it fit to do so. Remember, not everyone uses recon methods in the same way you do, so the decision is not always as "easy" as you perceive them to be.

Just Reconstructionist, not hard or soft that's for boiled eggs.

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2017, 05:39:19 am »
Quote from: Megatherium;202794
The discussion that I've seen among Heathens online (my real life experience is very different) are often reluctant to discuss anything "spiritual" (by this I mean related to religious awe/experience as opposed to the nuts and bolts of how to conduct a ritual, etc.). I think this is often a well-founded reluctance to share personal experiences with strangers, but I think it occasionally shade into a sort of shame or embarrassment of their spirituality. I can certainly understand, based on the cultural context we exist in, why people might feel that way, but ultimately, there really is no point to Heathenry without some "woo". If the overwhelming attraction of the religion is strong social bonds, than there is little reason to go through all of the trouble of studying since the values associated with Heathenry (simplifying here to just refer to cohesive social groups) are present in most human cultures anyway.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why anyone would become a modern pagan of any flavour if they had not experienced epiphany "woo". But I'm sensing that it is a cheap shot at Reconstructionists.

Personally, I think there's is a little more to being a Heathen than forging a cohesive social group, you can do that by joining a sport club.

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2017, 08:16:08 pm »
Quote from: Hildeburh;202982
The problem lies with the "fleshing out"; in a way Reconstructionism is a reaction against the myriad websites and neopagan authors that have/are flooding our community with their pseudo-history, outdated scholarship dressed up as fact, their own personal UPG and any other gimmick that sells books to the unwary. Most of the "fleshing out" I've seen revolves around regurgitating the gooble found in said books or importing aspects of modern mythology,  such as Wicca as if it were a general template of how our polytheistic ancestors worshipped; common example using the Wheel of the Year and plugging in Norse god/esses.

As I've said before, I have no issue with UPG, remythologising or modern cults but I have little forbearance with folks who try to tell me that its ancient lore, use questionable sources, can't be bothered reading the original texts or beat me about the head for being a Reconstructionist.

I agree there is a lot of really poorly researched, ahem, crap out there, and I also strongly agree that the presentation of information which has no historical basis as a true statements (or worse requirements of modern practitioners) is a significant problem. Reconstuctionist methodology has been an excellent counter to this. To put it another way, if someone wants to worship Hel, I am fine with that. If someone wants to claim that Hel is a deity with a well-attested pre-Christian cult, I would disagree. If someone were to argue that worshipping Hel is a requirement of modern Heathens, I would be less than appreciative of that statement.

Of course its going to exist in a different context!  I think you misunderstand the point of Reconstructionisim and are possibly confusing it with historical reenactors. Reconstructionism is a methodology used to investige sources, with the end product being an understanding of a specific worldview, which is then applied to our modern lives. Attempting to reproduce social structures wholesale from ancient and medieval societies and import them into our modern world is a fairly ridiculous notion.

I understand that reconstructionism is not an attempt to recreate ancient cultures exactly. Given this however, it is not always exactly clear what someone trying to incorporate a Heathen worldview into their lives should do in many situations. Is it "more Heathen" to worship as an individual (some recons would suggest that at least major deities were not worshipped in such a way) or as part of a group of people with whom you only share a theological outlook (also not something that historical Heathens would do). My point is simply that there is not always a clear answer as to how a historical Heathen mindset would be incorporated into a modern life.

"This is a perfectly reasonable way for Heathens to organize themselves. It also has far more in common with the way early Christian communities were organized than historical Heathen ones".

Huh? Please explain.

Historical Heathens, as you noted, "had no word for their belief system, it pervaded every aspect of their lives and society". Their identity was passed to them through their families/tribe. Early Christians often created new tight-knit communities in social situations where they were a distinct minority, and their communities were based off of common theological ideas than traditional family relationships. Given that today, almost no one inherits Heathenry from their family, and people are often creating new Heathen communities based on a shared theological outlook, I would say the formation of modern Heathen communities is structurally more similar to early Christian groups than historical Heathen ones.

Poor logic, disappointing. There is a robust corpus of lore and scholarship in regards to Odin and Freya, which closely associates these deities with death in the Norse tradition. Hel is a medieval personification,  likely the product of Snorri’s Christian worldview. Mentions of Hel are rare and even Snorri does not overly elaborate "her" persona, the cult of Hel is modern.

My argument is not that the cult of Hel is pre-christian, my argument is that there are likely (from a polytheistic viewpoint) Gods associated with death. I think that some of these Gods may choose to interact with people through the name and associations Hel developed. I don't think the cult of Hel is ancient. But nor do I think it is invalid as a modern practice.

1. Heathens had no word for their belief system, it pervaded every aspect of their lives and society. So not a religion per se but a worldview, people with a Christian background often get that confused.

That is not relevant to the point that information about these "worldviews", if you prefer, cannot be fully understood.

2.  Yes, that is the point of Reconstructionisim, to bring out that which can be incorporated into the modern world from our Heathen ancestors, to understand their worldview and apply it to modern contexts.

My point is that even perfect knowledge of how historical Heathens practiced their religion would still involve a great deal that could not be effectively of relevantly translated to the modern world.

3. Bring down a religion through the family? I think you are oversimplifying polytheism and conflating ancient with modern neopagan cults. Group identity? Which group? I belong to many groups as did our Heathen ancestors.....the warband, the tribe, the family, family cults, local cults, tribal cults, artisan groups etc. etc.

"Separating myself from my tribe"?  

1. You are not my tribe. My kin, friends and local community are my tribe (and that is an example of a Heathen worldview in a modern context) .
     2. Historically, pan Heathenry did not exist, so there was never one Heathen tribe based on one belief system, that is a Christian notion.

If your family is a) not Heathen, and b) practices a religion which is important to their identity as a family, than a decision to become a Heathen will involve, to some extent, a rejection of a part of your group's identity. (Hence, "leaving your tribe").That is not a very Heathen thing to do. Which doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done, just that there are going to be contradictions no matter what you do.

I honestly don't see a modern cult of Hel as more of a divergence from a historical Heathen worldview than the process of rejecting one's family's (most likely Christian) religion, or the creation of new communities based on theological outlook.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2017, 09:08:39 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;202831
Ooh, that's a nice point.  I think there's got to be some of that in there.

Me, I think 99% of most modern pagan poetry is fucking terrible and want quality liturgy. ;)  (That is the flip comment.  But it is also true.)

I tend to respond....poorly to specifically modern pagan devotional poetry which rhymes. I think there is a need, in modern paganism, for people to be able to respectfully articulate when a practice or ritual just makes them feel uncomfortable, or that it impedes their ability to woo (now it's a verb. Bam.).

Quote from: Darkhawk;202831
Ha!  And I suspect there's also a certain amount of - gods know I've run into plenty of religious discussions that treat veneration of any of the polytheistic gods as just the sort of obviously laughable thing that nobody actually does as anything other than a lark, so I can see that being a sort of armour as well, from that sort of casual dismissal.  "I am doing this seriously for serious."

Yeah, I think anyone involved with a modern pagan religion is going to have developed some sort of intellectual armour to deal with a cultural context in which one's religious practices are considered laughable. This is/was one of the most appealing parts of reconstructionist methods for me.
-George W. Bush

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2017, 09:20:58 pm »
Quote from: Hildeburh;202992
I'm having a hard time figuring out why anyone would become a modern pagan of any flavour if they had not experienced epiphany "woo". But I'm sensing that it is a cheap shot at Reconstructionists.

Personally, I think there's is a little more to being a Heathen than forging a cohesive social group, you can do that by joining a sport club.

While I do feel that some reconstructionists can be overly dismissive of other people's spiritual experiences, in this specific case, it was a response to Darkhawk's anecdote about the former-Heathen turned Christian. My point was that this is actually quite in keeping with a "Heathen worldview", and also an example of a situation where an emphasis on social rather than the religious elements of the culture being studied can lead to a rather self-negating practice.

That being said, I very much consider myself a person who has a lower level of acceptance for overt religiosity in comparison to many (most???) contemporary pagans. One of the appeals of reconstructionist methodology to me is that it tends to marginalize many of the things in contemporary paganism which just don't "click" for me.

I am not against reconstruction. I've just seen it used many times to either obscure really questionable ideas (I'm not really a big fan of the whole "Heathen worldview" trope), or to dismissively enforce boundaries that have more to do with a persons' social/aesthetic choices than with the actual religion being studied. Due to that, I'm not as enamoured with it as much as I once was.
-George W. Bush

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2017, 03:47:57 am »
Quote from: Hildeburh;202983
Just Reconstructionist, not hard or soft that's for boiled eggs.

What, not even fried eggs?

More seriously, I certainly see the hard/soft distinction used to differentiate other 'ranged' positions (f'ex, 'hard' atheism and 'soft' atheism, generally expressed respectively as 'there is no God' and 'there is no evidence indicating the existence of God'). Are you objecting to the use of hard/soft as terms for this (which I'll note Tom was using to describe himself, not you) and would prefer different terms for describing the range of reconstructionist positions, or are you objecting to the idea that reconstructionism is a 'ranged' position at all?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2017, 12:44:42 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;203072
What, not even fried eggs?

I'll have you know my polytheism is scrambled, thank you very much ;)

More seriously, I certainly see the hard/soft distinction used to differentiate other 'ranged' positions (f'ex, 'hard' atheism and 'soft' atheism, generally expressed respectively as 'there is no God' and 'there is no evidence indicating the existence of God').

Designating ranged positions is useful to avoid oversimplification, which often leads to misunderstandings and mischaracterization. It's usually best to be as clear as possible about religion, whether recon or not.

Also, I think the view of deity depends on the reconstruction/religion??? It's never as simple as "all ___s believe ____."
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2017, 12:45:53 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;203085

Designating ranged positions is useful to avoid oversimplification, which often leads to misunderstandings and mischaracterization. It's usually best to be as clear as possible about religion, whether recon or not.

Also, I think the view of deity depends on the reconstruction/religion??? It's never as simple as "all ___s believe ____."

I suppose I'm just stating the obvious here, but I guess it never hurts.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Hildeburh

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2017, 08:38:57 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;202806
(I mean.  I've seen Hellenics do this.  And unlike other things, it is utterly fucking undeniable that Hellenic religion included the possibility of a number of explicit mystical traditions.  But no!  Living people cooties!  Nobody gets mysteries anymore, because they are not explicitly preserved in THE LORE, and obviously the gods wouldn't stoop to handing out new ones!  Christ on a cracker with cream cheese and chives.)

So Im a little confused here.

Are you saying that modern cults based on individual and group revelation (of which there are many) should be seen as a continuation of specific pre Christian mystery cults?

Or, are you saying you don't think Reconstructionists have UPG? In a way Reconstructionism is a specific cult within Heathenry based on group UPG or a certain way of seeing the wights and honouring them. Reconstructionists come from all backgrounds, many have been involved in the pagan community for a long time and have had a variety of religious experiences based on UPG.

Or, are you saying Reconstructionists don't accept other peoples UPG? UPG is individual if its accepted by others it becomes group UPG and a cult is born. It puzzles me why it should be so important to you that Reconstructionists accept everyones UPG as fact. Personally, I'm happy to be challenged and informed it gives you new ways of looking at things, of approaching the wights and appreciating the culture of our ancestors.

The other issue is, would you want to be involved in a pre Christian mystery cult?  Given from what little is known about them they included aspects that are unacceptable to our modern sensibilities,  such as  ritual prostitution, brutality, strict hierarchies,  life long virginity and blood sacrifice.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:40:39 pm by Hildeburh »

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2017, 09:26:08 pm »
Quote from: Hildeburh;203096
The other issue is, would you want to be involved in a pre Christian mystery cult?  Given from what little is known about them they included aspects that are unacceptable to our modern sensibilities,  such as  ritual prostitution, brutality, strict hierarchies,  life long virginity and blood sacrifice.

Lot to unpack here.

First: #notallmysterycults
Second: I'm no expert but not all Hellenic  Reconstructionism is based on the mystery cults.
Third: please tell me where to sign up for these, they sound fun!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:26:39 pm by Redfaery »
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2017, 09:34:04 pm »
Quote from: Hildeburh;203096
So Im a little confused here.

Are you saying that modern cults based on individual and group revelation (of which there are many) should be seen as a continuation of specific pre Christian mystery cults?

Or, are you saying you don't think Reconstructionists have UPG? In a way Reconstructionism is a specific cult within Heathenry based on group UPG or a certain way of seeing the wights and honouring them. Reconstructionists come from all backgrounds, many have been involved in the pagan community for a long time and have had a variety of religious experiences based on UPG.

Or, are you saying Reconstructionists don't accept other peoples UPG? UPG is individual if its accepted by others it becomes group UPG and a cult is born. It puzzles me why it should be so important to you that Reconstructionists accept everyones UPG as fact. Personally, I'm happy to be challenged and informed it gives you new ways of looking at things, of approaching the wights and appreciating the culture of our ancestors.

None of this has anything to do with the words I typed.

To repeat myself:

I have met many, many reconstructionists who are of the opinion that there can be no mystery work in modern reconstructionism because the ancient cultus is not recorded and thus, obviously, cannot be reconstructed.

Those people are actively hostile to the concept of individual and group revelation and argue that if one has such things one is thus, by definition, not a reconstructionist.

As to another point: you are not going to be able to point out to me where I said something about "Reconstructionists accept everyones UPG as fact", because there is no such text in this thread or anywhere on the board.  As UPG goes, you'd be better off with something that has some tangential connection to the visible lore.  (I am, in fact, on the record as believing that people who are looking for "fact" in religion are doing something tremendously ill-advised that will do them no good, and, in the case of pagans, should really shed that particularly pernicious bit of Christian baggage.)

Also, you do not need to explain to me what reconstructionists are, given that I am one.  You might have noticed that I mentioned so in this thread.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 02:20:02 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;203085
I'll have you know my polytheism is scrambled, thank you very much ;)

I've been known to describe mine as poached :D:.

I wasn't making reference to views of deity at all, except insofar as atheism was the example I came up with for 'something for which the hard/soft terminology is used' I could just as well have used 'hard butch/soft butch' as my example - or possibly the instance that's the closest parallel would be hard and soft sciences.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;203107

I wasn't making reference to views of deity at all, except insofar as atheism was the example I came up with for 'something for which the hard/soft terminology is used' I could just as well have used 'hard butch/soft butch' as my example - or possibly the instance that's the closest parallel would be hard and soft sciences.

Sunflower

I was more making a general point than talking to you specifically. Talking about specification and then not being clear about the latter part of the post; only something I could do, it seems :rolleye::

Tags: