Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Wanted: two types of health/wellbeing related recommendations / advice  (Read 1769 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
I'm hoping some of you in the UK can recommend an SLS free shampoo which is also not tested on animals, preferably readily available in the UK/online.

Also, I'm hoping to manage to lose some weight over the next few months and in case I am successful then I'm after advice from others who've done the same or have some prior knowledge about, frankly, how to keep my skin from going 'saggy' following losing the weight.  Embarrassing topic, but perhaps not as embarrassing as the alternative...

Here's hoping...

Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:40:00 pm by RandallS »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Wanted: two types of health/wellbeing related recommendations / advice
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:43:29 am »
Quote from: Pickle;202028
I'm hoping some of you in the UK can recommend an SLS free shampoo which is also not tested on animals, preferably readily available in the UK/online.

Also, I'm hoping to manage to lose some weight over the next few months and in case I am successful then I'm after advice from others who've done the same or have some prior knowledge about, frankly, how to keep my skin from going 'saggy' following losing the weight.  Embarrassing topic, but perhaps not as embarrassing as the alternative...

Here's hoping...

Thanks in advance  :)

Naked brand hair products are something you might want to check out. They should be at your local Boots pharmacy.

I've used Body Shop shampoos and conditioners in the past and they were pretty good! SLS free, paraben free, etc. I switched away from them after they changed the smell, not because they weren't good. If you have a Body Shop nearby, you could check them out...and I think they do online shopping in the UK.

As for weight loss....unfortunately you WILL sag. I'm shedding a bit of weight myself and it's not really the best motivation in the world to see the sagging!
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 02:45:38 pm »

Also, I'm hoping to manage to lose some weight over the next few months and in case I am successful then I'm after advice from others who've done the same or have some prior knowledge about, frankly, how to keep my skin from going 'saggy' following losing the weight.  Embarrassing topic, but perhaps not as embarrassing as the alternative...

Here's hoping...

Try searching at http://www.baldwins.co.uk/  they probably have it. I only buy oils, resins, herbs from them online but they have lots of natural products  for sale.
 See http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/ they might have a shampoo base free of it,  to blend your own.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:52:12 pm by Nerys53 »

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 02:46:24 pm »

Palmer's have three ranges (coconut oil, cocoa butter and mint, and olive oil). You'll find them at Superdrug.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 02:48:00 pm »

Here's hoping...

Lush might be a good place to look too. :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 03:01:15 pm »
Quote from: Oíche;202044
Lush might be a good place to look too. :)

Most of Lush's shampoo bars have SLS, alas. (There might be a couple of exceptions, though, and their staff are awesome.)

I avoid SLS except after swimming (where the anti-chlorine shampoo wins), and my usual shampoo bars come from one of two small businesses. The ones I use are in the US, but there are tons of people who sell via Etsy or farmer's markets or in natural foods stores who I know are in the UK.

(Note that if you swap over to solid bars, they're really handy in a lot of ways, but you may want to do an occasional apple cider vinegar rinse. Also it takes a lot of people a week or two for their hair to adapt from switching from shampoos because of a shift in chemicals and residue. Also, you may find some shampoo bars work way better for your hair than others. That said, they're very portable, smell great, and I get many compliments about my hair.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 05:30:24 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;202045
Most of Lush's shampoo bars have SLS, alas. (There might be a couple of exceptions, though, and their staff are awesome.)

Ah! Shame! I haven't used much of their hair products, mostly their skin products and perfume.
The Body Shop might have something, but I'm not as familiar with their products. :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Tags: