Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Birth Religion and Current Religion.  (Read 16244 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Birth Religion and Current Religion.
« on: July 04, 2011, 07:08:31 pm »
Does how you were raised, religion-wise, impact your current practices? How?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Birth Religion and Current Religion.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;1002

I was raised Baptist in the South. Not Southern Baptist, but close. I had a lot of bad associations with Christianity once I finally left the faith because of being raised in a conservative, intolerant church. Those are still getting worked through. Now, religious pluralism and the right to follow your own beliefs is absolutely core to my personal faith. I'm also leery of anyone telling me how I should or should not understand and interact with Deity. I'm skeptical and stubborn and challenging because of how I was raised to never raise religious questions.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:34:38 pm »

Absolutely.

I was raised in an actively a-religious household; that is, my mother went out of her way to keep people from talking religion, any religion, in front of me. I understand her reasoning- she didn't want to force me into a religion as she herself had been forced, and saw people talking about it around me as attempts to undermine her parenting. I wish, however, that she hadn't been so diligent.

Not only has being raised the way I was handicapped me culturally- I don't know much about Christianity, and have a hard time picking out Christian influences or overtones in things unless they are especially blatant- but it has significantly impacted my ability to "be religious". Even simple prayer was something I struggled with for quite a while. Learning to integrate religious thinking into my "mundane" behavior has been a challenge. So has figuring out whether something really isn't working, or if I'm just not putting in enough effort.

I do seem to be making some progress, though!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Star

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:40:31 pm »

I think so.  I have a hard time pinning down a lot of the specifics of how my Lutheran upbringing has influenced my current morals and approach to the world and things, but religious practice is a pretty simple connection to make:  I was raised in a pretty formal religious tradition, as ritual goes. (Lutheran church services are not quite Catholic mass, but close enough in structure that I've had Catholic friends tell me they were quite comfortable at Lutheran services and on the rare occasion I've attended a Catholic mass I found it felt incredibly familiar.)  I struggled with the formal approach for years after I became pagan, but have come back around to the conclusion that formality and a high degree of structure work best for me in terms of religious practice.  Those formative years might not have made a lasting impression about what deity I should worship, but they did definitely affect how I approach religion and what religion looks like to me.
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

cwummel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:14:11 am »

I cannot say that the religion I was raised in has had any impact on my current practices. Being raised Methodist by parents that really only pushed it once a year, Christmas mass or whatever it is called, makes it hard to really put a correlation between the two. Currently I do more day to day and major holidays than I have ever previously.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 12:19:27 am »

The most important stuff for me has been family traditions that are, while not of themselves religious, assimilated into religious festivals.  I've done a lot of thinking about how to deal with that sort of thing, on and off.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:43:47 am »

Well, that's quite an interesting question.

1. It affects my view of divinity. Namely I tend to be very skeptical of goddesses, because I was raised Christian and we didn't believe in goddesses at all.
2. I still view god the same as I did before, though it be different gods.

Hmm. That's all I can think of. :)
Conformity is the death of individualism

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 01:59:02 am »

I feel like I can and can't answer this question.

I was raised in a household where there was no regular religious practice, but my parents were still Christian. So the idea of having regular religious practice appeals to me, but putting that into practice is hard, because I have no previous experience with it. (That, and I am chronically lazy!)

However, any religious instruction I had was Catholic (at school), so that definitely colours how I see ritual, even if the ritual I saw was mostly watered down for a large and young audience. Catholic ritual is rich and object-heavy, so it always boggles my mind when I see Protestant-flavoured Christian ritual where things are... a lot more simple. Even though technically my birth religion is Protestant. (I have determined I am weird. :D)

So I do have an overwhelming fondness for Catholicism, and have thought from time to time incorporating that into my practice.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Wrynn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 02:17:07 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;1196
Originally Posted by SatSekhem  

I grew up as a christian and then I discovered that fundamental christian dogma was really a perverted conversion of the truth.  I have always felt the presence of god in nature and growing up as a fundalmental christian I always new something wasnt right.  As a kid I had an ability that I didnt understand, now as an adult I can retrospectively see why.  I have always been told that anyone who claim to have ESP, clairvoyance, telepathy... etc. was not something that was natural.  Well it is natural, and I am an empath, and i know it is a gift from god.

It can be very difficult to understand what it is like.  Like I said I certainly didn't know what was happening to me when I was growing up and even as a young adult.  I know now, and its ok, its something wonderful and good.  Discovering what this was, was kind of an awakening for me, as I have gotten older I am more drawn to the celtic tradition of wicca in an ecelctic form and green witchcraft, mystacism and nature, and it really does feel like coming home.  I now understand that the church (fundalmental christianity) is a perversion of what jesus tried to teach.  God and Goddess are in each of us and everything around us.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:19:29 am by Wrynn »
)o( Blessed be,
Wrynn Aethelraed

comW

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 02:58:18 am »

Yes.

More informativly I was brought up very rc. I'm still uncomfortable with "unstructured" work and tend to have a fully scripted job before I do anything.  I tend to want to - the word that comes up is worship - regularly. Is odd because I don't get the impression that's what my boss wants.
Steve - ComW

try and find me in the MUX. It does happen

Harzgeist

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:53:35 am »
Quote from: comW;1209
Yes.

More informativly I was brought up very rc. I'm still uncomfortable with "unstructured" work and tend to have a fully scripted job before I do anything.

This.
My dad was a Catholic, so "naturally" I was baptized as a Catholic, as well, and went to Confirmation class. Dad attended Mass with me quite often, so I got used to this very structured form of worship. I used to find comfort in knowing what I had to say at which point of the service and feeling part of a community. However, I could never get my head around the contents of the sermons, which is why I eventually left the faith. But I still miss the structure in my own pagan practice now, so I tend to write lengthy ritual scripts and then don't go with them anyway ;)
Sometimes, though, I still go and attend Mass, because it makes me feel close to my dad.

Though my dad was devout, we didn't have any regular practice at home with the family. So I still find it difficult to get a regular practice going. Well, that's not really an influence of my birth religion, but rather of my parents not praying together.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:54:26 am by Harzgeist »
give us a creed / To believe / a night of Lust / give us trust in / the Night

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 05:09:50 am »

I'm sure there's some impact, but I don't see it. I was raised Catholic, but I pretty much threw that all out the window and went skipping down my path all happy and doing what feels right. Maybe if I hadn't been raised in a more structured religious environment, I wouldn't get all excited at the prospect of worshiping however I please (and with fireworks). I really don't know, but I feel like I've left it all behind because it doesn't matter anymore. At least as far as my practices are concerned. On the off chance I have kids, I'd definitely not want to raise them into my religion since I didn't like that, but other than that, my past religion is pretty irrelevant.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 01:14:12 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;1162
The most important stuff for me has been family traditions that are, while not of themselves religious, assimilated into religious festivals.  I've done a lot of thinking about how to deal with that sort of thing, on and off.

This.  

I also try to keep a flavor to my practice that is honorable of my ancestors and their traditions...but I am not sure how well I do it, given the differences.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 01:32:00 pm »

Well, I was raised mainly agnostic/atheist.  I slash it because at times I was told there is nothing and times I was told there was SOMETHING out there, just not sure what.  My grandmother was very Southern Baptist, though she had a fallen out with the church, but some of her beliefs did rub off on me.  Not so much about the Christian God, but more how one should behave.

All in all, it did have an impact. I tend to be very open to the possibilities out there, but at the same time I am very skeptical about a lot.  But that's more from my exploring and meeting all sorts of people.

It also effected the way I raised my daughter.  I raised her to have a spiritual side, that there was God/desses out there, about the spirit world.  Taught her both family traditions and 'pagan' traditions as I learned them.  You could say we both learned and grew together. I firmly believe that children SHOULD have religion taught to them, but when they are old enough (we agreed to 16) they could choose whether to participate or not.  It seems to have worked very well.  She is a very down-to-earth young woman, with a solid foundation to her beliefs. And no, we don't agree on everything. ;) But that's good.  Shows she was listening to me.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 05:51:51 pm »
Quote from: Star;1053
...  Those formative years might not have made a lasting impression about what deity I should worship, but they did definitely affect how I approach religion and what religion looks like to me.

This.

I find myself needing the strict structure of Catholicism and its ritualized worship, but I find it distasteful to utilize what I learned as a child, religion-wise, in my current practice.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tags: