Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Imbolc?  (Read 1741 times)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Imbolc?
« on: January 27, 2017, 08:05:39 pm »
Is anybody celebrating Imbolc? What are you doing? This'll be my first Imbolc doing anything--I still haven't worked out quite what, yet. Something involving baking and candles, most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Imbolc?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »
Quote from: Sorcha;201963
Is anybody celebrating Imbolc? What are you doing? This'll be my first Imbolc doing anything--I still haven't worked out quite what, yet. Something involving baking and candles, most likely.

Not Imbolc, but Vasant Panchami falls on the 1st of February this year. It's Lady Saraswati's festival in the North of India, said to be her birthday by some writers. I've often felt as if there's a sort of alliance between Saraswati and Brighid....
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:43:24 pm »

I'm going to do a small and humble ritual for Brigid. A libation of wine, and a poem of my own (well, at least partly).

I suppose this makes me a bad Heathen.

I'm okay with that.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:17:30 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;201964
Not Imbolc, but Vasant Panchami falls on the 1st of February this year. It's Lady Saraswati's festival in the North of India, said to be her birthday by some writers. I've often felt as if there's a sort of alliance between Saraswati and Brighid....

Oh that's interesting! I love when multiple celebrations fall on the same day; it feels like everybody is kinda celebrating together, like the gods are all like, "Look, kids, would you cut out the fighting and just have a party already?"

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 09:20:07 am »
Quote from: Megatherium;201972
I'm going to do a small and humble ritual for Brigid. A libation of wine, and a poem of my own (well, at least partly).

I suppose this makes me a bad Heathen.

I'm okay with that.

Not being familiar with Heathenry, I wouldn't know, but it sounds like a lovely ritual.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:08:07 am »

I'm doing an Imbolc advent this year but I've kind of dropped the ball on second week, which is funny as I was going to focus on Brighid's healing aspect for that week and I've dropped the ball because of flu. I'll try and do something for it today; better late than never.

As for the day itself, it will involve candles and mead and possibly cooking or baking and most definitely some knitting. I'm also going to try to clean. And not have a nervous breakdown. I'd like to do a full  ritual but at this point not quite so sure that's going to happen; my shrine isn't even accessible right now and I'm not sure I'll have the spoons to make it so before then or write something. But we'll see.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 12:05:15 pm »

By my way of reckoning today is Imbolc.  The first  ritual is already done so I can enjoy a friend's birthday party tonight with a clear conscience. The rest I'll do next week on Candlemas.

Today took the form of setting intentions for the forthcoming year and then empowering those intentions with an energy raising and directing exercise.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:23:11 pm »

The 1st, as the feast of St Brigid, is my name day, so I'll be making sweet treats for the family. Probably pannacotta. :)

The 2nd is the feast of the Presentation of the Lord, so, since it's a weekday and I won't make it to church, I'll be reading through the Vigil service the night before. That's going to take a lot of candlelight...
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 04:00:14 pm »

If the weather is not too cold and if it is dry I will do a fire in my firebasket in the garden/yard. If it is too cold or wet or rainy then I do candles inside. For incense I usually blend a little for Imbolc using resins and spices and herbs. I keep things simple.:)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 07:43:03 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;201988
The 1st, as the feast of St Brigid, is my name day, so I'll be making sweet treats for the family. Probably pannacotta. :)

The 2nd is the feast of the Presentation of the Lord, so, since it's a weekday and I won't make it to church, I'll be reading through the Vigil service the night before. That's going to take a lot of candlelight...

That sounds really special. :)

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 02:36:20 pm »

I aim on baking something, and using part of that as an offering, along with some alcoholic beverage as a libation, to Brigid/Bride/Brigantia. I am looking into reconstructed Celtic rites, but finding precious little guidance on structure. So I'll probably keep things simple.
Probably some 'spring cleaning' and keeping a flame burning all day--albeit an electric one for when I'm not home, for safety in honour of Brigantia.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 02:45:30 pm »

I will be focusing on Brigid for the whole month. I will be also journaling with the 30 Days of Deity Devotion topics and focusing it on Brigid so I can draw closer to this goddess :)
I wanted to go to Kildare this year and visit her well again, but I won't be able to now. However I hope I can go next year!
Lots of candles and milk offerings!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:46:14 pm by Oíche »
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 05:41:16 pm »
Quote from: Oíche;202041
I will be focusing on Brigid for the whole month. I will be also journaling with the 30 Days of Deity Devotion topics and focusing it on Brigid so I can draw closer to this goddess :)
I wanted to go to Kildare this year and visit her well again, but I won't be able to now. However I hope I can go next year!

I love that idea, I wish I was focused enough for something like that. Kildare's in Ireland, right? I would love to go back, I remember it being really pretty. :)

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 06:58:32 pm »
Quote from: Oíche;202041

I'm thinking upon reflection that I'll probably bake something special that day, light my apartment with candles only, and do some sort of ritual (I have one in a book that I may modify). It'll be a good time to sort of mark a new beginning in my spiritual practice, since I'm definitely more decided now than I have been in some time.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 08:40:10 am »

Today I will make an offering of milk and honey and hold a small ritual for Brighid. It is my favorite holiday, but to me it's more introspective than others, so there's not much that I do for it outwardly.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Tags: