Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Author Topic: Symbols  (Read 1749 times)

thewanderer21

• View Profile
Symbols
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:03:43 am »
Hey guys,

What do you guys think about the symbols below? I make them and trying to find out the meaning of them but I really don't know how I could...maybe someone can help out?

[/url

Sorcha

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Symbols
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:49:59 am »
Quote from: thewanderer21;201924
Hey guys,

What do you guys think about the symbols below? I make them and trying to find out the meaning of them but I really don't know how I could...maybe someone can help out?

As a point of clarification, are you wondering if they 1. already have an assigned meaning that somebody might know or 2. if they might have an as yet unknown meaning that you could discern or 3. if you could make up a meaning and want help? I get the impression 2 is what you're looking for; if that's the case it's going to be largely down to your imagination and intuition.

Are you looking to divine a meaning in these particular patterns, or to use the symbols in divination (sort of like runes) in the future?

I'm not sure I have answers for you, but I think more clearly defining what you're trying to do would help others answer your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewanderer21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 01:07:14 am »
Quote from: Sorcha;201927
As a point of clarification, are you wondering if they 1. already have an assigned meaning that somebody might know or 2. if they might have an as yet unknown meaning that you could discern or 3. if you could make up a meaning and want help? I get the impression 2 is what you're looking for; if that's the case it's going to be largely down to your imagination and intuition.

Are you looking to divine a meaning in these particular patterns, or to use the symbols in divination (sort of like runes) in the future?

I'm not sure I have answers for you, but I think more clearly defining what you're trying to do would help others answer your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point I can consider all three options that you mentioned because I don't know anything about these symbols except that they take quite some energy to make them. I can't always draw them because otherwise they would not look complete at all and I would feel uncomfortable creating them. Yes,  I am trying to seek maybe there is a way to meditate to find out more about them

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 10:21:10 am »
Hey guys,

So, symbols usually have (definitionally speaking) some existing meaning. So one thing I'd consider is whether talking about these designs as symbols, or whether it might be more useful to look at them as a meditative practice or a spiritual practice of some other design.

(I'm a longtime doodler, and my style changes slowly over time, depending on what's going on in my life. I've learned to pay attention to those inclinations, but they're not symbols, they're 'this is the thing some part of me is currently coming up with'.)

On the other hand, there are things about them that are reimiscent of veves in Voudou and related practices: in those cases the designs are meant to invite and invoke specific beings. (You can see some examples here)

Geometric designs are used in some other cultures as part of protection practices, or home blessings. Doing some research into things you think might be influences on you or of interest might be worthwhile.

But when it comes down to it: you're the one drawing them, so you're in the best position to figure out why and what you mean by them.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

thewanderer21

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:47:40 am »
Quote from: Jenett;201933
So, symbols usually have (definitionally speaking) some existing meaning. So one thing I'd consider is whether talking about these designs as symbols, or whether it might be more useful to look at them as a meditative practice or a spiritual practice of some other design.

(I'm a longtime doodler, and my style changes slowly over time, depending on what's going on in my life. I've learned to pay attention to those inclinations, but they're not symbols, they're 'this is the thing some part of me is currently coming up with'.)

On the other hand, there are things about them that are reimiscent of veves in Voudou and related practices: in those cases the designs are meant to invite and invoke specific beings. (You can see some examples here)

Geometric designs are used in some other cultures as part of protection practices, or home blessings. Doing some research into things you think might be influences on you or of interest might be worthwhile.

But when it comes down to it: you're the one drawing them, so you're in the best position to figure out why and what you mean by them.

I agree with you, since I am the creator of these symbols I should learn their meaning myself. However, I have no clue how to do that...maybe through meditation but I have no clue how to even get started :/ I was hoping maybe I can get a little bit of push with that.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:47:17 pm »
Quote from: thewanderer21;201941
I agree with you, since I am the creator of these symbols I should learn their meaning myself. However, I have no clue how to do that...maybe through meditation but I have no clue how to even get started :/ I was hoping maybe I can get a little bit of push with that.

I'd start even simpler than that.

First, as I said, they're not symbols yet if they have no meaning. They're designs, or art, or something else. They wouldn't be a symbol unless those shapes represented something else, some other idea or concept.

You could make them into symbols, but they're not just going to do it by themselves: something needs to connect them to an idea, concept, etc. You could do that deliberately, but while meditation might help you figure out some options, making a symbol involves a bit more than that.

I'd probably start with reflecting on some questions, in journalling or meditation, things like:

- When did you start drawing these?

- What do you feel like (emotionally, physically, mentally) before you draw one, while you are drawing, and shortly after you finish one?

- Are these an outgrowth of other designs or drawings or art you have done? What did those feel like to you, when were you doing them, etc?

- Do any of the individual elements (specific parts of the design) have particular weight or resonance for you?

You might try meditating on each of those specific smaller aspects in turn, and see if that gets you anywhere. For example, a circle with a dot in the center is a common symbol in several settings (I think most commonly you'll see it as a symbol for the sun but there are others.) This might take you weeks (or months!) depending on how far you break elements down.

- You could also research those individual elements and also pay attention to places in your life where they pop up: it's possible that some of the design elements come from things you're seeing in your daily life. (which doesn't mean they couldn't be used for symbolic purposes, but might explain why you're doing this kind of drawing right now.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 05:16:54 pm »
Hey guys,

Both Sorcha and esp. Jenett have given you some really good advice; I would only add that you may be choosing some of the shapes you're using for an unconscious reason. Many shapes have meanings connected to them that, while we may not be consciously aware of them, we grasp intuitively through their use in various cultures and through other means.

On the other hand, sometimes a triangle is just a triangle.

There's a Wiki here at the Cauldron on sacred geometry, the use of such shapes to convey meaning (yes, I wrote it). You may or may not find that useful.

I like your designs a lot, BTW. They're absorbing to study, and as Jenett suggests, creating them must be a very meditative experience.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

thewanderer21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:45:54 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;201942
I'd start even simpler than that.

First, as I said, they're not symbols yet if they have no meaning. They're designs, or art, or something else. They wouldn't be a symbol unless those shapes represented something else, some other idea or concept.

You could make them into symbols, but they're not just going to do it by themselves: something needs to connect them to an idea, concept, etc. You could do that deliberately, but while meditation might help you figure out some options, making a symbol involves a bit more than that.

I'd probably start with reflecting on some questions, in journalling or meditation, things like:

- When did you start drawing these?

- What do you feel like (emotionally, physically, mentally) before you draw one, while you are drawing, and shortly after you finish one?

- Are these an outgrowth of other designs or drawings or art you have done? What did those feel like to you, when were you doing them, etc?

- Do any of the individual elements (specific parts of the design) have particular weight or resonance for you?

You might try meditating on each of those specific smaller aspects in turn, and see if that gets you anywhere. For example, a circle with a dot in the center is a common symbol in several settings (I think most commonly you'll see it as a symbol for the sun but there are others.) This might take you weeks (or months!) depending on how far you break elements down.

- You could also research those individual elements and also pay attention to places in your life where they pop up: it's possible that some of the design elements come from things you're seeing in your daily life. (which doesn't mean they couldn't be used for symbolic purposes, but might explain why you're doing this kind of drawing right now.)

Dear Jennet and Altair;
I will meditate tonight before bed and I will ask myself those questions. It's strange also because most of the time I feel empty like a vessel. When I draw the symbols it feels like I'm putting a hat on and that's pretty much it.

Sometimes I can just day dream about anything like for example what I should do at the gym tonight while at the same time I draw the symbols. I don't see how it can be a very meditive experience while creating them because I don't meditate at all, also not getting inspired by anything that might related to the symbols. Sometimes when I see similarities on other symbols (voodo,angelic,islandic) I get really surprised.

You see I am not proud of making these symbols, I am pretty neutral and I only do them when I have the urge. When I look at them I feel like I can't understand it...
As I said before I will meditate and hopefully I will get something in return.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:47:55 pm by thewanderer21 »

Tags: